By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 4GB of RAM of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

understood 53 61.63%

I don't want to understand 32 37.21%

Total:85
vivster said:
Cobretti2 said:

tag me when you do. 

i'm still hoping Nintendo has some common sense and release that supplimantary unit.  SImilar to how those alienware laptops can run an external nvidia graphics box as clearly the docking station from what we seen will be a shell for tv output and external charger.

Sure the switch will keep Nintendo only gamers happy but a device without 3rd party support will die quickly. 

That would just double the price for added complexity and barely any gain. What they actually should do it is release a Pro version of the console a bit later but without the forced forward compatibility like Sony does. That way devs can choose for which console to release and if they want to just port their demanding games on the stronger version.

you took the words right out of my mouth, so yeah... what you said :)

Around the Network
Conina said:
Ck1x said:

No one was talking about system RAM we are discussing vRAM that the GPU's have access to for rendering graphics. People are focused on the sheer amount and whether it can do 1080p or not, when they should be only concerned with bandwidth at this point. Talking about system RAM is kind of pointless because we know that the Switch is games focused first and won't have a bloated OS to struggle through!

Games don't only render graphics! They need additional RAM for all other calculations besides the graphic processing and output. Why do you think PC games have minimal and recommended specs for RAM and VRAM?

With your simple thinking, the minimal RAM to run Windows (1 GB for Windows 7) paired with a graphic card should be more than enough.

It is really annoying when some people enter these discussions without knowing even the basics how a computer/console works.

Listen I very well know how computer components work together, which is why I'm trying to get you guys to stop taking your internet knowledge of how and what a Windows PC needs to operate properly. Versus a custom gaming device, that is clearly built and designed to perform specific functions within its capacity. 

Which is why you bringing up the system needing to perform multiple tasks beyond just rendering visual effects is like I stated more of a bandwidth issue and not just concerns with RAM amount! 4GB is more than enough for this SoC because the raw horsepower isn't that strong, so it's not like we're expecting it to compete with high end GPU's...

Memory bandwidth, memory bandwidth, memory bandwidth! there focus on that instead of just thinking having tons of RAM solves everything. AMD's 4GB HBM Fury X cards should prove that memory bandwidth over sheer amount is what allows these cards to output visually at much higher resolutions.

Ck1x said:
mutantsushi said:

And those GPUs are paired with CPUs with access to 4-8GB of DDR RAM.  Such systems are pretty equivalent to Sony's set up on PS4.
A system with only 4 GB total RAM is a very far cry from that, don't kid yourself.  
Now, for Nintendo style games, maybe that's OK.  If people expect AAA 3rd party ports seen on MS/Sony/PC they will be disappointed.

No one was talking about system RAM we are discussing vRAM that the GPU's have access to for rendering graphics. People are focused on the sheer amount and whether it can do 1080p or not, when they should be only concerned with bandwidth at this point. Talking about system RAM is kind of pointless because we know that the Switch is games focused first and won't have a bloated OS to struggle through!

Man, you're right here. But some people just don't want to listen. Sadly.

vivster said:
Ck1x said:

But what would the Switch even use that bandwidth for? Certainly not for 720p games. Given the power of the rest of the system I'd say the Switch would be fine with even half of the bandwidth of the X1.

You can never have enough of RAM though. 4gb is quite limited when it's shared between CPU and GPU. More RAm will make gaming experiences more seemles because it doesn't have to load from the flash so often.

Of course you can have too much RAM, there's a point where it becomes pointless to have such excess that may never be used. The goal is to design a system from the onset that has as few bottle necks as possible, not adding hardware for the sake of having more than needed. It's like saying I have a 4 cylinder car that's excellent on gas but let me put a 30 gallon tank on the car just because I can!

bunchanumbers said:
I love how everyone was ridiculing me for saying Switch is a tablet instead of a home console. But the instant the specs are leaked everyone is instantly talking about how its a handheld and how relieved how weak the system is.

What happened to all that home console talk?

I really can't and won't understand the need of defining it as a home console/handheld console/tablet/whatever. It is what it is. Call it what you want. We'll know the specs, and what it's capable of probably in January. The concept is clear enough. People might like it or not, but I don't think almost anybody care about... semantics. You might see it as a portable console which docks in the TV, or as a home console you can carry on with you, and I think both are perfectly valid since it's not power what defines a home console. And we don't really know anything about it to label it yet, so we all are jumping to conclusions. 

Around the Network

Right now my windows 8 eats 3.4 GB of RAM, with total 8 at my notebook.

Almost a half! Its just usual setup, windows, skype, browser. It needs to be like this for system to be fast and responsible. But its not necessary for gaming.
Any kind of sleep/hybernation mode is consuming RAM since its copy always on your hdd. Game streaming function on your PS4 eats RAM, cause basically it always streams some chunk ofthe game video to HDD thru RAM (and its a big size!). If you avoid all these blows and whistles you'get a fast system with much lower hardware. That was all the main reason for gaming consoles pre Gen 8 were much faster then comparable PC machines.

Once again, the main reason for this mess is Sony's marketing shit about its 8 gigs of GDDR5 is better then X1s 8 gigs of DDR3. And the fanboys with its blind faith to PR.

Ck1x said:
vivster said:

But what would the Switch even use that bandwidth for? Certainly not for 720p games. Given the power of the rest of the system I'd say the Switch would be fine with even half of the bandwidth of the X1.

You can never have enough of RAM though. 4gb is quite limited when it's shared between CPU and GPU. More RAm will make gaming experiences more seemles because it doesn't have to load from the flash so often.

Of course you can have too much RAM, there's a point where it becomes pointless to have such excess that may never be used. The goal is to design a system from the onset that has as few bottle necks as possible, not adding hardware for the sake of having more than needed. It's like saying I have a 4 cylinder car that's excellent on gas but let me put a 30 gallon tank on the car just because I can!

That tank would offer quite a bit convenience for longer journeys. More RAM is always better. You could even load whole games or all of the OS onto it, significantly increasing load times. It only becomes an issue when it's about power consumption. But that shouldn't be a problem with LPDDR4 which already is ridiculously efficient.

That said, 8GB is certainly not "too much". You can always overclock a chip to make it faster, what you can't do is overclock space to make it more.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Ck1x said:

That tank would offer quite a bit convenience for longer journeys. More RAM is always better. You could even load whole games or all of the OS onto it, significantly increasing load times. It only becomes an issue when it's about power consumption. But that shouldn't be a problem with LPDDR4 which already is ridiculously efficient.

That said, 8GB is certainly not "too much". You can always overclock a chip to make it faster, what you can't do is overclock space to make it more.

I understand your sentiment for having convenience, but at what point does it become non effective and completely negligible towards even the overall price of putting such convenience in a box... Not sure how old you are as a gamer but all of this talk about just putting more in for the sake of more, almost reminds me of when Sega was designing the Saturn and put all sorts of processors in this device and had no clue why they put them in there!

let alone they could never tap into that power that was inside the box, because it was simply a glutinous designed console and not an efficient one... The PS1 was just a straight forward designed console and it showed, this is what the Switch will be.

sabvre42 said:
onionberry said:

Here we go again with the same shit

I'm serious. You truly act like a brand marketer.

Any time any news perceived as negative towards Nintendo occurs you create a NEW thread in an attempt to draw attention to your specific argument.

If you simply argued  within already existing thread...

After the butt thread, if your accusations are true, she must be the most serious-about-her-job viral marketer in the world.

I could make the exact same accusations that you make about let's say the bananaking guy and Sony or the xbox guys on the site that I've forgotten the names of. Or about you! Doing accusations without evidence is easy.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Ck1x said:
vivster said:

I understand your sentiment for having convenience, but at what point does it become non effective and completely negligible towards even the overall price of putting such convenience in a box... Not sure how old you are as a gamer but all of this talk about just putting more in for the sake of more, almost reminds me of when Sega was designing the Saturn and put all sorts of processors in this device and had no clue why they put them in there!

let alone they could never tap into that power that was inside the box, because it was simply a glutinous designed console and not an efficient one... The PS1 was just a straight forward designed console and it showed, this is what the Switch will be.

That comparison is bad. More RAM does not add complexity to the system, it just makes it more convenient for both developers and consumers. It has literally no drawbacks.

We can argue about the usefulness of 16GB over 8GB but anything below 8GB is a joke. Believe me, every dev who tries to port something on the Switch will kiss Nintendo's feet if they double that RAM. 4GB is simply not enough and only adds hurdles to everyone involved.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.