By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clarifying the 4GB of RAM of the SWITCH for those who just see the numbers.

understood 53 61.63%

I don't want to understand 32 37.21%

Total:85
Wyrdness said:
Conina said:

Is this a joke?

It's more of an enquiry because Cartridges operate in a different manner, if you disagree how about you clarify why instead of such replies.

SD card is in the range of 30 to 95 MB/s read speed depending on price, 5400 rpm drive reads at 100 MB/s, Tegra X1 memory bandwidth is 25.6 GB/s, PS4 176 GB/s. SD cards are comparable to hdd installs since it eliminates seek times, they don't even match it for reading sequential data unless you go with the much more expensive UHS-2 SDXC cards.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Conina said:

Cartridge memory can't replace RAM, it is much too slow for that.

I think you misread the post as I meant that the platform may not need as much RAM usage as the other platforms as people were talking about the possible 3GB for games compared to the 5GB for games on the other platforms, not cartridges replacing RAM.

So why should the RAM usage be lower for a game loading data from a cartridge instead of loading data from a blu-ray, HDD, internal flash memory, SSD or whatever?

Conina said:

So why should the RAM usage be lower for a game loading data from a cartridge instead of loading data from a blu-ray, HDD, internal flash memory, SSD or whatever?

Because cartridge formats work differently it may not need as much usage as reading off a disc which is why I'm enquiring.

Wyrdness said:
Conina said:

Because cartridge formats work differently it may not need as much usage as reading off a disc which is why I'm enquiring.

How does it work different? The Cartridge doesn't have a direct connection to the CPU, its data has to be copied in the RAM the same as from any other medium. The CPU/GPU have only access to the RAM, not to any other memory in the system.

Conina said:

How does it work different? The Cartridge doesn't have a direct connection to the CPU, its data has to be copied in the RAM the same as from any other medium.

Cartridges don't have seek time like discs so finding data is faster it may not need to have as much data loaded in the RAM as a result, rather than asking questions if you can't answer the enquiry please move on.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Conina said:

How does it work different? The Cartridge doesn't have a direct connection to the CPU, its data has to be copied in the RAM the same as from any other medium.

Cartridges don't have seek time like discs so finding data is faster it may not need to have as much data loaded in the RAM as a result, rather than asking questions if you can't answer the enquiry please move on.

It's still much, much slower to read from a cartridge than from RAM - just like everyone else has been telling you. You're essentially claiming you can replace RAM with using the cartridge for some operations, when in reality there's probably an almost nonexistent range of situations where that's the case.

Zkuq said:

It's still much, much slower to read from a cartridge than from RAM - just like everyone else has been telling you. You're essentially claiming you can replace RAM with using the cartridge for some operations, when in reality there's probably an almost nonexistent range of situations where that's the case.

Only one person actually answered my post out of the two who replied to me (so no everyone else haven't told me anything like you dreamt up) and it's not a claim like you imagined in your own little world it was an enquiry on whether it's possible.

Conina said:

It wouldn't be any different, that's just a myth he spouted. Modern OS's usually have a concept known as virtual memory to abstract the idea of storage. That is to say virtual addresses get mapped or translated to physical addresses on a large set contiguous addresses that are formed between both primary (DRAM) and secondary (disk drives) storage ... 

Cartridges are not treated any specially differently from other types of non-volatile memory ... 

I hope Nintendos OS team has gotten better at optimization. The fact that the Wii Us barebones OS used 1GB of RAM was always shockingto me. You can run full on Linux distros with half that amount of RAM. Depending on its complexity the switchs OS better use a maximum of 768MB, preferably 512MB.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I fear the Switch is gonna get RAMmed.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1