By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

Miyamotoo said:

Switch will not be running only in handheld mode, it's most likely that in docke will run at higher or full clock while in handheld mode will work underclocked.

This is where people have to address their expectations/assumptions, IMHO.
Assuming dock mode does allow some power increase, either via upclock or core un-locks, what could be expected of that?
The main thing that would be targeted IMHO would be the GPU to enable higher res, because that means the game can stay the same.
Otherwise boosting the CPU beyond what's needed to feed GPU implies adding CPU code substantially different from mobile mode.
I don't think Nintendo is interested in coding a different version of game for dock mode, beyond allowing higher res graphics.  

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Ps2 ports did not feature Mii support or those additional games... nor the motion controls which were added to the Wii titles, as well as the obvious fact that Fifa 15 was on the Wii but... not the PS2.

Fifa aside though The likes of CoD4, World at War and Black Ops did not feature a PS2 version to start on, they were built as X360/PS3 titles and then were ported down to a machine with less than 1/6th the power... because Money.

fair enough, but its not like those games were pushing the PS or xbox to its limits not even close. Where were the RE5-6s, GTAs, RDRs, etc. Where were thse Wii ports

Was there really demand to bring Resi 5-6 to anywhere else? I mean... those games weren't exactly stellar lol, but yeah GTA/RDR were not on the system, again not because of hardware but simply because those franchises have not been on a Nintendo System, GTA3 would have functioned just fine on the GC but Rockstar didn't want it to happen so it didn't, I mean you said the console didn't have third party support, I showed you the list of great support it had, you claim some of the titles don't count because they were on other machines... even ones that weren't, after then downplaying the series which all appeared on the machine you narrow it down to 4 specific games which weren't on it and say "where were they?" they were on the PS3/Xbox360, but heck RDR never went to the PC either... must have been that weak hardware.

Though if you want a Win, sure those 4 games were not on the console.

Not that there wasn't a ton of actual good Resident evil games on the system but heck, these are not resident evil 5 and 6

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I think that people are so focused on sheer numbers of everything that they are arguing the wrong points. Whether or not if the Switch gets 3rd party support or ports won't be because of its specs!
What we currently know about the system it is perfectly adequate to run every XbOne and PS4 game just at different settings for the hardware.

People aren't arguing that though, they are saying because numbers of the Switch don't match up exactly with XbOne and PS4 for raw processing power, this will determine what games the Switch will get! The PS4 and XbOne are consoles designed in 2011, so just the fact that Switch is running on more modern efficient technology should get people to change what they are discussing.

AMD's new Polaris gpu's were all about efficiency for the company and how they can now put out very capable cards using less energy. So because of advancements you don't need the same level of displacement to achieve the same visual effects on screen as hardware designed in 2011 would need.

bunchanumbers said:
CosmicSex said:

While I don't agree with bunchanumbers, I don't see how critiquing Nintendo requires moderation.   One of the things Nintendo's fanbases are know for is expressing concerns.  Which is positive in my book. 

Anyway, I disagree with your assesment because quite frankly, we don't have all the info yet.  Does that 4GBs refer to the handheld or the dock.  I am willign to bet that only applies to the portalble unit. 

I got moderated because I said it was garbage. I don't really consider it moderation worthy but it happened.

Well, i was banned for saying PS4 Pro was garbage some time ago.

Ck1x said:
I think that people are so focused on sheer numbers of everything that they are arguing the wrong points. Whether or not if the Switch gets 3rd party support or ports won't be because of its specs!
What we currently know about the system it is perfectly adequate to run every XbOne and PS4 game just at different settings for the hardware.

People aren't arguing that though, they are saying because numbers of the Switch don't match up exactly with XbOne and PS4 for raw processing power, this will determine what games the Switch will get! The PS4 and XbOne are consoles designed in 2011, so just the fact that Switch is running on more modern efficient technology should get people to change what they are discussing.

AMD's new Polaris gpu's were all about efficiency for the company and how they can now put out very capable cards using less energy. So because of advancements you don't need the same level of displacement to achieve the same visual effects on screen as hardware designed in 2011 would need.

Architecture only counts for so much. A 2016 iPhone with a Fuson A10 processor (which is actually pretty beastly) is still not going to outperform a XBox One in game performance. 

Around the Network

Regarding PS4/XOne, isn't x86 architecture somewhat inefficient? Isn't the weak point of x86 the inefficient "chain of command"? Doesn't x86 has to "command" every single step for a task instead of efficiently tell the the whole task at once? In that regard, isn't the Nvidia architecture in the Nintendo Switch more efficient and therefore counter-balance some of it's lack of power?

Culipechi said:
bunchanumbers said:

I got moderated because I said it was garbage. I don't really consider it moderation worthy but it happened.

Well, i was banned for saying PS4 Pro was garbage some time ago.

I legit do not understand how you guys don't think those comments were bannable, I mean if you think the console is weak or underpowered say that, but just because it lacks 4k visuals does not mean that something is "Garbage" Garbage is something you throw away, as in, it is rubbish, of no use to people and to say that a machine with 4GB of RAM or below is "garbage" would also mean that every console and handheld with the exception of the PS4 and X1 are all in the Category of rubbish to be thrown away, I mean the 150million selling PS2 featured 128 times less memory than this system... and locked to being a home console only, If I think back to the days of having a PS2 and consider that one day I would have a handheld with potentially 128 times the capabilities of that system my head would have exploded.

But yeah, saying something is underpowered for what it is means there is a scale of debate available, saying that X console is just Rubbish is not really constructive and doesn't explain why you think that is the case, although based on the fact that the only bits and pieces of information about the switch other than what we seen in that 3 minute reveal is mostly rumours and speculation based on the industry right now and this weird notion that a console needs to meet the Minimum requirements of a certain game running on the PC which is something no console in history has done to get games to be ported to it.

Fuck sake there is an elder scrolls game on the N-Gage... and it's fully first person and features a lot of the mechanics of morrowind on... a god damn N-Gage.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Fight-the-Streets said:
Regarding PS4/XOne, isn't x86 architecture somewhat inefficient? Isn't the weak point of x86 the inefficient "chain of command"? Doesn't x86 has to "command" every single step for a task instead of efficiently tell the the whole task at once? In that regard, isn't the Nvidia architecture in the Nintendo Switch more efficient and therefore counter-balance some of it's lack of power?

The main thing is the machine is going to be optimized to within an inch of its life, Nvidea and Nintendo aren't exactly new players when it comes to creating exceptional pieces of hardware which manage to do wonders well beyond what someone would think possible with the on paper specs, the Gamecube has 43MB of Ram and look at games like Rogue Leader or Metroid Prime to see just what can be done when you optimize for your consoles hardware.

Christ, where to begin... "Switch will run PS4/Xbone games with no noticeable downgrades", "Wii U was just Gamecube tech"... (cos Latte is just an overclocked Flipper, right?)

VGChartz drinking game; take a drink every time Miyamotoo passes off his personal opinion, unproven speculation, or blatant misinformation as fact. This thread alone will send you to the ER with acute alcohol poisoning.

zorg1000 said:
Nemesis1993 said:

Like you said PS3/360 games,port a game from one gen behind and years isn't the same a worldwide launch new game together PS4/Xbone.

they were the biggest games from that year, if getting ports of consoles that were 6 years old didnt help Wii U than why would ports of consoles that are 4 years old do anything?

Are you saying ports from games one gen behind (PS3/X360 7th) with years  are the same like a game Mass Effect Andromeda (for exemple) launch on same day together with PS4/Xbone?Doesn't matter how old the platform is,I am talking about 3rd party support,the biggest AAA western games launching together with PS4/Xbone/NS,this is a good support,not launch a game from last gen with years on market.What a shame be weaker than a 4 years old console.If  you think this ins't a problem,well just opinions differents,but Wii U did not survive.