By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Of Course that all multiplatform games that Switch will receive will most likely be ports of PS4/XB1 games just in 720p.

Lowering the resolution doesn't solve everything. They would also have to tweak the engine and make other sacrifices in order to make it run at a decent framerate.

And as I've said in a previous post, if third parties have to do extra work to make their games run on NS, they'll simply skip it as they are doing just fine without Nintendo.

Offcourse there will be some other downgrades, but lowering resolution will mostly close gap in power difference. Its huge difference in power needed to run same game in 720p, 900p or 1080p.

You saw list of Switch partners and supporters, of course that Switch will have some 3rd party support, and of course that in that case they will port for instance XB1 game then doing game from start just for Switch.

mutantsushi said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch will not be running only in handheld mode, it's most likely that in docke will run at higher or full clock while in handheld mode will work underclocked.

This is where people have to address their expectations/assumptions, IMHO.
Assuming dock mode does allow some power increase, either via upclock or core un-locks, what could be expected of that?
The main thing that would be targeted IMHO would be the GPU to enable higher res, because that means the game can stay the same.
Otherwise boosting the CPU beyond what's needed to feed GPU implies adding CPU code substantially different from mobile mode.
I don't think Nintendo is interested in coding a different version of game for dock mode, beyond allowing higher res graphics.  

If you look pictures of Switch, it seems that has vents holes, it's assumed that in docked mode Switch is actively cooled.

So it assumed that game will work in 720p in portable mode but 1080p on TV mode. I talking about Nintendo games, 3rd party games will hardly work in 1080p.

curl-6 said:
Christ, where to begin... "Switch will run PS4/Xbone games with no noticeable downgrades", "Wii U was just Gamecube tech"... (cos Latte is just an overclocked Flipper, right?)

VGChartz drinking game; take a drink every time Miyamotoo passes off his personal opinion, unproven speculation, or blatant misinformation as fact. This thread alone will send you to the ER with acute alcohol poisoning.

I really don't see what's strange about expectation that Switch can run for instance some 3rd party PS4 1080p games, in 720p with some other downgrades. Wii U CPU is basically improved GC/Wii CPU, PowerPC IBM, its same tech. 

Is this maybe too positive for you or you are just not informed!?

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

Now!?Are you aware of Shield and architecture and spec of Shield!? Switch concept, especially architecture and specs are very similar to Shield (stronger but again similar). Yes, probably want be difficile to port some PC game to Switch.

You really comparing Wii U tech and Switch based Tegra tech!? One is basicly GC tech that is 15 years old, onother is most likly Pascal based Tegra chip (year-two ago most powerful mobile chip in world). Basically you have 15 old tech and one of newest tech in industry.

Like I wrote several times, NvidiaTegra+ARM is very modern tech and architecture, that is very easy to work with it, and yes devlepment will be even easier because Nvidia support, new tools, APIs and actually their whole experience with Shield because Switch is similar product with same architecture.

You heard before!? When exactly last time Nintendo had very modern tech and architecture!? Last time was GC. You also didn't believe that Switch will be hybrid and that Nvidia will provide chip, now both those matters are confirmed.

Lol. let's clear something up. I saw the switch months ago. I said there would not be two seperate consoles announced that would play the same games, and I never made a comment as to its specs or what powered it because I was not privy to that information. I said exactly what the NS wasn't, and I was exactly right. You're confusing me with someone else.

I'm comparing Nintendo's history of claiming their console is easy to port to with their current claims that their console is easy to port to. I'll say it again. I will believe it when I see it. Nintendo's developer tools have historically been atrocious, and I don't have much reason to suspect this time will be any different based on what I have seen and heard. There's more to console development than what's under the hood.

Can you do me a favor and please stop passing off your assumptions as fact? It's tiring trying to talk to someone who bases argument after argument on little more than their faith in Nintendo to do what you feel they're capable of.

Actually Nintendo didn't said anything about porting for Switch, thats logical conclusion because Nvidia+ARM is very modern tech that is easy to work with, and that development will be even easier because Nvidia support, new tools, APIs and actually their whole experience with Shield because Switch is similar product with same architecture. Also we have few insiders/leakers who said that porting XB1/PS4 games on Switch will not be problem.

But fact is that Nvidia/ARM is very modern tech/architecture that is easy to work with, and that development will be even easier because Nvidia support, new tools, APIs and actually their whole experience with Shield because Switch is similar product with same architecture. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Keeping it classy...  (Yes, I know that wasn't directed towards myself)

Seems like it should be just the right amount.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:
Christ, where to begin... "Switch will run PS4/Xbone games with no noticeable downgrades", "Wii U was just Gamecube tech"... (cos Latte is just an overclocked Flipper, right?)

VGChartz drinking game; take a drink every time Miyamotoo passes off his personal opinion, unproven speculation, or blatant misinformation as fact. This thread alone will send you to the ER with acute alcohol poisoning.

I really don't see what's strange about expectation that Switch can run for instance some PS4 1080p games, in 720p with some other downgrades. Wii U CPU is basically improved GC/Wii CPU, PowerPC IBM, its same tech. 

Wii U is not just a CPU in a plastic box. It has a GPU, which is nothing like Gamecube's. It has RAM, of a type that wasn't even available when Gamecube launched. To put it politely, you clearly don't know what you are talking about, and you're not doing yourself any favours by continuing to spout misinformation and speculation as fact.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I really don't see what's strange about expectation that Switch can run for instance some PS4 1080p games, in 720p with some other downgrades. Wii U CPU is basically improved GC/Wii CPU, PowerPC IBM, its same tech. 

Wii U is not just a CPU in a plastic box. It has a GPU, which is nothing like Gamecube's. It has RAM, of a type that wasn't even available when Gamecube launched. To put it politely, you clearly don't know what you are talking about, and you're not doing yourself any favours by continuing to spout misinformation and speculation as fact.

It has GC CPU architecture/tech and that's a clear fact, I didn't said it have same GPU and RAM like GC, I specifically said CPU, you just making things up. I know what I talking about and actualy you are that making things up here and misinformation.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

It has GC CPU architecture/tech and that's a clear fact, I didn't said it have same GPU and RAM like GC, I specifically said CPU, you just making things up. I know what I talking about and actualy you are that making things up here and misinformation.

Dude, you are not fooling anybody.

You’ve always had problems with presenting your opinions as fact, overhyping everything to do with Nintendo, and repeating information you clearly don’t understand, but in this thread you’ve taken it to an absurd level. 

Take a breath, and tone it down a notch, for your own sake.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Dude, you are not fooling anybody.

You’ve always had problems with presenting your opinions as fact, overhyping everything to do with Nintendo, and repeating information you clearly don’t understand, but in this thread you’ve taken it to an absurd level. 

Take a breath, and tone it down a notch, for your own sake.

You writing nonsense and clear example of that is that you accuse me like I wrote that Wii U has GPU and RAM of GC, even it's very clear I was talking about GC CPU only and thats actually well known fact (but it seems not for you).

Its not going to run anywhere as good as the current gen consoles and its going to be way behind when the upgrades come in. we shouldnt even consider this a true..competing product. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Lowering the resolution doesn't solve everything. They would also have to tweak the engine and make other sacrifices in order to make it run at a decent framerate.

And as I've said in a previous post, if third parties have to do extra work to make their games run on NS, they'll simply skip it as they are doing just fine without Nintendo.

Offcourse there will be some other downgrades, but lowering resolution will mostly close gap in power difference. Its huge difference in power needed to run same game in 720p, 900p or 1080p.

You saw list of Switch partners and supporters, of course that Switch will have some 3rd party support, and of course that in that case they will port for instance XB1 game then doing game from start just for Switch.

Running at a lower resolution won't solve everything because there are lots of extra things that determine the performance besides resolution. You're just repeating what many said during the Wii vs 360/PS3 era: "Wii will be able to run the same games but in SD, not HD resolution". And we all know what really happened, right?

And yes, I've seen the list of supporters, but that doesn't tell me anything. EA? Do we now believe EA will support it after neglecting the DS/3DS and the unprecedent partnership with Nintendo regarding the Wii U? Or Bethesda, that were very quick in releasing a statement saying that the Skyrim demo was just that, a demo, not that they were working on anything for the Switch? Or Take Two, who haven't released one single game for 3DS or Wii U, despite being excited for the latter.

Don't fool yourself, that's just a list of third parties that have asked for/have recieved dev kits. That doesn't mean that they'll launch any games on it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Running at a lower resolution won't solve everything because there are lots of extra things that determine the performance besides resolution. You're just repeating what many said during the Wii vs 360/PS3 era: "Wii will be able to run the same games but in SD, not HD resolution". And we all know what really happened, right?

And yes, I've seen the list of supporters, but that doesn't tell me anything. EA? Do we now believe EA will support it after neglecting the DS/3DS and the unprecedent partnership with Nintendo regarding the Wii U? Or Bethesda, that were very quick in releasing a statement saying that the Skyrim demo was just that, a demo, not that they were working on anything for the Switch? Or Take Two, who haven't released one single game for 3DS or Wii U, despite being excited for the latter.

Don't fool yourself, that's just a list of third parties that have asked for/have recieved dev kits. That doesn't mean that they'll launch any games on it.

Not everything, but biggest problem is in power gap, of course there will be some others downgrades. But fact is that Wii had some PS3/360 ports, Wii got almost all CoD games. Also have on mind that Wii is incomparible less powerful than PS3/360 while Switch will have around half of power of XB1 not to mention modern tech and architecture, so comparing Wii with Switch isn't exactly good comparison.

Thats confirmed list of suporters that have projects for Switch, so its clear that all companies from list will realase at least one game for Switch. Bethesda released statement not confirming any specific game same like almost any other company from list did not confirm specific game, it seems Nintendo is holding all announcements (including its owns, they didnt confirmed MK, Splatoon and new Mario also) for Switch conference in January. Bethesda already said (something simila said all other companies from list): "While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future".

Thats list of confirmed partners and supporters for Switch.