By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Running at a lower resolution won't solve everything because there are lots of extra things that determine the performance besides resolution. You're just repeating what many said during the Wii vs 360/PS3 era: "Wii will be able to run the same games but in SD, not HD resolution". And we all know what really happened, right?

And yes, I've seen the list of supporters, but that doesn't tell me anything. EA? Do we now believe EA will support it after neglecting the DS/3DS and the unprecedent partnership with Nintendo regarding the Wii U? Or Bethesda, that were very quick in releasing a statement saying that the Skyrim demo was just that, a demo, not that they were working on anything for the Switch? Or Take Two, who haven't released one single game for 3DS or Wii U, despite being excited for the latter.

Don't fool yourself, that's just a list of third parties that have asked for/have recieved dev kits. That doesn't mean that they'll launch any games on it.

Not everything, but biggest problem is in power gap, of course there will be some others downgrades. But fact is that Wii had some PS3/360 ports, Wii got almost all CoD games. Also have on mind that Wii is incomparible less powerful than PS3/360 while Switch will have around half of power of XB1 not to mention modern tech and architecture, so comparing Wii with Switch isn't exactly good comparison.

Thats confirmed list of suporters that have projects for Switch, so its clear that all companies from list will realase at least on game for Switch. Bethesda releases statement not confirming any specific game like almost any other company from list did not confirm specific game, it seems Nintendo is holding all announcements (including own, they didnt confirmed MK, Spaltoon and new Mario also) for Switch conference in January, Bethesda already said (like all other companies from list): "While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future".

Thats list of confirmed partners and supporters for Switch.

Wii got CoD because it sold a ridiculous amount of consoles and because Treyarch. Besides that, Fifa (that was usually the same games as the PS2, never the same game as PS360), PES (that was a special version of the game) and a few party games like Just Dance are main multiplatform games that came to Wii.

Wii, Wii U and Switch are comparable when it comes to third parties because both are different from the competition in terms of power and architecture (x86 vs ARM), and only sales will determine what kind of third party support the Switch gets, although it will never be on par with the other consoles.

And lastly, if you want to believe that all those publishers listed in that slide will actually launch games for the Switch, then good for you. The rest of us will wait until they confirm their support with actual games, rather than words, to believe it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Bethesda will release Fallout Shelter on Switch and tell that unprecendent partnership is finished.

Sharu said:
Bethesda will release Fallout Shelter on Switch and tell that unprecendent partnership is finished.

I know it's a joke, but it wouldn't surprise me if EA and others "support" the Switch by releasing their mobile games on it. Why launch Mass Effect Andromeda on the Switch, with all the cost it would take, when they can easily port the iOS/Android companion game?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not everything, but biggest problem is in power gap, of course there will be some others downgrades. But fact is that Wii had some PS3/360 ports, Wii got almost all CoD games. Also have on mind that Wii is incomparible less powerful than PS3/360 while Switch will have around half of power of XB1 not to mention modern tech and architecture, so comparing Wii with Switch isn't exactly good comparison.

Thats confirmed list of suporters that have projects for Switch, so its clear that all companies from list will realase at least on game for Switch. Bethesda releases statement not confirming any specific game like almost any other company from list did not confirm specific game, it seems Nintendo is holding all announcements (including own, they didnt confirmed MK, Spaltoon and new Mario also) for Switch conference in January, Bethesda already said (like all other companies from list): "While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future".

Thats list of confirmed partners and supporters for Switch.

Wii got CoD because it sold a ridiculous amount of consoles and because Treyarch. Besides that, Fifa (that was usually the same games as the PS2, never the same game as PS360), PES (that was a special version of the game) and a few party games like Just Dance are main multiplatform games that came to Wii.

Wii, Wii U and Switch are comparable when it comes to third parties because both are different from the competition in terms of power and architecture (x86 vs ARM), and only sales will determine what kind of third party support the Switch gets, although it will never be on par with the other consoles.

And lastly, if you want to believe that all those publishers listed in that slide will actually launch games for the Switch, then good for you. The rest of us will wait until they confirm their support with actual games, rather than words, to believe it.

I do agree that sales and popularitiy of Switch will determine down the road how strong 3rd support will be for Switch, but because concept of Switch where you can play every game on go, it's expected that will have at least strong Japanese 3rd party support. In any case I expecting better 3rd party support than Wii U had, and thats really isnt hard to achieve.

And I definitely expecting that at least 80-90% companies from that list release at least one game for Switch.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

I do agree that sales and popularitiy of Switch will determine down the road how strong 3rd support will be for Switch, but because concept of Switch where you can play every game on go, it's expected that will have at least strong Japanese 3rd party support. In any case I expecting better 3rd party support than Wii U had, and thats really isnt hard to achieve.

And I definitely expecting that at least 80-90% companies from that list release at least one game for Switch.

By "strong Japanese 3rd party support" I guess you mean that devs who developed for 3DS will develop for Switch, and you're probably right. But that doesn't mean that the next Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XV. Metal Gear or other big AAA japanese games will launch on it.

After all, the XboxOne already has troubles running some of those games at 900p, how do you expect a console that could (with luck) be around half its power, be able to run those games even at 720p?

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Miyamotoo said:

By "strong Japanese 3rd party support" I guess you mean that devs who developed for 3DS will develop for Switch, and you're probably right. But that doesn't mean that the next Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XV. Metal Gear or other big AAA japanese games will launch on it.

After all, the XboxOne already has troubles running some of those games at 900p, how do you expect a console that could (with luck) be around half its power, be able to run those games even at 720p?

Actually FF, Kingdoms Hearts...have good chance to be on Switch because they are very popular in Japan and because Switch handheld side, Switch has good chance to be very popular in Japan also. We already know that DQ11 is announced for Switch few months ago, it seems that Nintendo and SQ in recent time have great relationship, partnership on DQVII is profe of that also. FromSoftware is also mentioned like Switch partner and supporter.

Yes, Switch could easily run those games in 720p with some dowgrades, but point is that 720p with some downgrades would look great on 6" screen. I expecting that 3rd party games on Switch work in 720p in docked mode and at 540-720p in handheld mode.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

Actually FF, Kingdoms Hearts...have good chance to be on Switch because they are very popular in Japan and because Switch handheld side, Switch has good chance to be very popular in Japan also. We already know that DQ11 is announced for Switch few months ago, it seems that Nintendo and SQ in recent time have great relationship, partnership on DQVII is profe of that also. FromSoftware is also mentioned like Switch partner and supporter.

Yes, Switch could easily run those games in 720p with some dowgrades, but point is that 720p with some downgrades would look great on 6" screen. I expecting that 3rd party games on Switch work in 720p in docked mode and at 540-720p in handheld mode.

The problem you refuse to see is that those "some downgrades" require far more work and are harder to make possible that you are willin to admit. It's not only the use of worse (but also smaller) textures for the lower RAM, but aspects like lightning, nº of characters on screen, detail of the environment, AI, etc. would also need to be reworked. And that takes time and manpower, aka money publishers may not be willing to spend on a port for a Nintendo console where their games have traditionally sold poorly.

And, yes, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts may appear on the Switch, but it still remains to be seen if they'll be the games that PS4/X1 could recieve or are the games that 3DS could recieve. You believe that they'll be the PS4/X1 ones, while I believe they're the 3DS ones.

And since we're only guessing because no one has announced or showed anything, your guess is as good as mine.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

The Bravely games, DQVII and VIII remakes, DQX and XI, Cloud in Smash Bros. Yea, things are getting better for both parties. Now does that mean FFXV and/or VII remake? Who knows. And its not like most of these partners are there just to give tech advice or something. A game or two has to be developed by these partners or else why include them?

Kai_Mao said:
Miyamotoo said:

The Bravely games, DQVII and VIII remakes, DQX and XI, Cloud in Smash Bros. Yea, things are getting better for both parties. Now does that mean FFXV and/or VII remake? Who knows. And its not like most of these partners are there just to give tech advice or something. A game or two has to be developed by these partners or else why include them?

Yeah, Cloud in Smash probably means FFVIIR is coming to the Switch one way or another. FFXV is harder because that game has been in developement for so long, I expect a late port of it once it's done for the rest of platforms. Also, Nintendo can let SE use some of their IPs to make games, I'm sure SE would be interested in making another Super Mario RPG.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

I just can't anymore. You're impossible. The assumption train you continue to present as facts is absolutely ridiculous and just gets more and more absurd as time goes on. I just won't bother commenting or responding to you any more. Have a good day.