By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

There will be noticable downgrades on PS4/XB1 ports, though I don't think many devs will even bother with ports, so it's not much of an issue.

In the real world Tegra X1 has problems handling PS3/360 ports. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

There will be noticable downgrades on PS4/XB1 ports, though I don't think many devs will even bother with ports, so it's not much of an issue.

I dont agree with noticible downgrades, but 720p with some downgrades yes.

Well this is most likely custom Tegra X2, with double memory bandwidth than Tegra X1 and with ARM A57 cores instead A53, and that in docked mode can work at full or higher clocks.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Well this is most likely custom Tegra X2, with double memory bandwidth than Tegra X1 and with ARM A57 cores instead A53, and that in docked mode can work at full or higher clocks.

It doesn't really matter if you agree or not. There are limits to what the chip can do (even a Tegra X2) and that's well short of even XBox One performance. 

There's more to performance than just gigaflops too. 

Note the Tegra X1 Metal Gear Rising port done by Nvidia themselves runs worse than the XBox 360 version, and the Tegra Parker (X2) is not some monstrous leap over the X1, it's a modest bump forward with most electrical savings due to the 16nm process. It's not a generational leap beyond the X1.

Miyamotoo said:
SvennoJ said:

Where is this 3x stronger argument coming from? Is there a link?

WiiU has 2GB at 12.8 GB/s, plus 32MB edram at 70 GB/s, 350 gflops
Tegra x1, 4GB at 25GB/s at 500 gflops
Tegra x2, 4GB at 50GB/s at 750 gflops
Now it's not that like for like to compare mobile to console performance, yet as I understand it, mobile usually underperforms compared to a powered console. So how will it be 3x stronger? It's twice if Tegra x2 comes through and is actually comparable to console performance.
Plus the handheld will have to run at 6 watts or less including the screen to have any chance at all to last anywhere near 3 hours (with a huge 5000 mah battery) Nvidia shield uses 20 watts in comparison.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Wii U have power around 170/180 gflops, not 350, I recall that was info of people who turn apart Wii U hardware. And that would definitely make around 3x more power than Wii U. Dont forget much more capable ARM quad A57 than Wii U PPC and most likely 3GB RAM instead 1GB RAM of Wii U.

Switch will not be running only in handheld mode, it's most likely that in docke will run at higher or full clock while in handheld mode will work underclocked.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu I guess that's incorrect info?
So ps4 is 10x the WiiU? Damn Nintendo is magic, Zelda BoW looks fantastic :)
Wait that means the WiiU is weaker than the 360? Or is that 240 gflops for the Xenon incorrect too. 360 had higher memory bandwidth as well 22 vs 13, and 256 vs 70 for edram. Perhaps all these comparisons are meaningless.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

It doesn't really matter if you agree or not. There are limits to what the chip can do (even a Tegra X2) and that's well short of even XBox One performance. 

Note the Tegra X1 Metal Gear Rising port done by Nvidia themselves runs worse than the XBox 360 version, and the Tegra Parker (X2) is not some monstrous leap over the X1, it's a modest bump forward with most electrical savings due to the 16nm process. It's not a generational leap beyond the X1.

Actualy it does matter, PS4 is around 25% stronger than XB1, and XB1 doenst have noticible downgrades, sure lower resolution but XB1 games still looks great. No one said that Switch will be on pair on XB1.

Like I wrote,  "this is most likely custom Tegra X2, with double memory bandwidth than Tegra X1 and with ARM A57 cores instead A53, and that in docked mode can work at full or higher clocks".

SvennoJ said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U have power around 170/180 gflops, not 350, I recall that was info of people who turn apart Wii U hardware. And that would definitely make around 3x more power than Wii U. Dont forget much more capable ARM quad A57 than Wii U PPC and most likely 3GB RAM instead 1GB RAM of Wii U.

Switch will not be running only in handheld mode, it's most likely that in docke will run at higher or full clock while in handheld mode will work underclocked.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1903/wii-u-gpu I guess that's incorrect info?
So ps4 is 10x the WiiU? Damn Nintendo is magic, Zelda BoW looks fantastic :)
Wait that means the WiiU is weaker than the 360? Or is that 240 gflops for the Xenon incorrect too. 360 had higher memory bandwidth as well 22 vs 13, and 256 vs 70 for edram. Perhaps all these comparisons are meaningless.

No that info, i read something else. Actualy yes, PS4 very stronger than Wii U and despite that Wii U games still looks great. Offcourse gflops are not only part when we talk about power of hardware. Actually I think info was that Wii U has more modern GPU and more RAM than PS3/Xbox 360 but slower CPU and RAM.

Around the Network
Nemesis1993 said:
zorg1000 said:

ports of major PS3/360 games did nothing for Wii U, why would ports of major PS4/XBO games do anything for Switch?

Like you said PS3/360 games,port a game from one gen behind and years isn't the same a worldwide launch new game together PS4/Xbone.

they were the biggest games from that year, if getting ports of consoles that were 6 years old didnt help Wii U than why would ports of consoles that are 4 years old do anything?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
JEMC said:

The custom Tegra inside NS can be better than last gen consoles, I don't doubt that.

And thanks for agreeing with me, no one should expect PS4/X1 games ports to the Switch.

Of Course that all multiplatform games that Switch will receive will most likely be ports of PS4/XB1 games just in 720p.

Lowering the resolution doesn't solve everything. They would also have to tweak the engine and make other sacrifices in order to make it run at a decent framerate.

And as I've said in a previous post, if third parties have to do extra work to make their games run on NS, they'll simply skip it as they are doing just fine without Nintendo.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Soundwave said:

It's my understanding that that's becuase the Shield was running Android, which ate up a lot of the bandwith.  The Switch won't have that problem, and all the rumors point to it being more powerful to boot before optimization is factored in.

CosmicSex said:
bunchanumbers said:

Well looks like Switch being garbage is confirmed. RAM has always been Nintendo's hardware weakness. Been that way since the N64. Looks like Nintendo never learned their lesson. I wouldn't be shocked to see it being abandoned by 3rd party devs in a year. Maybe less.

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

While I don't agree with bunchanumbers, I don't see how critiquing Nintendo requires moderation.   One of the things Nintendo's fanbases are know for is expressing concerns.  Which is positive in my book. 

Anyway, I disagree with your assesment because quite frankly, we don't have all the info yet.  Does that 4GBs refer to the handheld or the dock.  I am willign to bet that only applies to the portalble unit. 

I got moderated because I said it was garbage. I don't really consider it moderation worthy but it happened.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

but is it underpowered for a PORTABLE?

No, but Nintendo aren't pushing it as a portable. 

the trailer says differently. Yes i know what they said, but actions speak lounder than words