By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why NS 128GB SD is better than Xbox/PS 500GB HDD.

potato_hamster said:
superchunk said:

Hey somebody sees it! Maybe I didn't make this point significant enough in the OP.

Yeah, if only there weren't digital copies of games that can't be put on a cartridge... That is, unless you want Nintendo only distribute physical copies of games.

I think that's the only downside but hey if you're a digital only gamer you need a bigger hdd for the ps4 or xbox one too, sd cards are not expensive and they are very portable. I have like 7 full of useless stuff

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, the docking station does have 2 usb ports. I don't see why that can't be plugged into 1 or 2 external hard drives.

Granted it can't in portable mode but they could make it so that you can move games between the two. So like you have some games on your internal storage which you can take with you any time while others, you can just leave in the external hard drives.

But still, why use hard drive when Nintendo could allow 128 x 4 to be put into something similar to an R4 cart and keep all the mobility.

If games are tied to an account, you could have 100s of games installed but only be allowed to play the ones that have been paid for.

They could but considering how no one does it and most likely, their latest ones are slimmer and smaller, I doubt they will.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

Yeah, if only there weren't digital copies of games that can't be put on a cartridge... That is, unless you want Nintendo only distribute physical copies of games.

I think that's the only downside but hey if you're a digital only gamer you need a bigger hdd for the ps4 or xbox one too, sd cards are not expensive and they are very portable. I have like 7 full of useless stuff

You can't actually expect Nintendo to let you just run NS ROMS directly off of SD cards.

Hello piracy!

The complete libraries of NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, NDS would fit on a 128GB.

Gamecube would need 1TB
Wii would need 6.5TB

That's for every game. Nintendo-only would be much less.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

did I miss something or aren't sd cards still pretty expensive vs blurays ? if they do use 128GB cards it's very possible that NS games will be 10-20$ more expensive then on PS/X1 like back in the N64 days. fuck that shit

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, the docking station does have 2 usb ports. I don't see why that can't be plugged into 1 or 2 external hard drives.

Granted it can't in portable mode but they could make it so that you can move games between the two. So like you have some games on your internal storage which you can take with you any time while others, you can just leave in the external hard drives.

Almost perfect. But I think Nintendo wants to take advantage of the cartridges speed in their game designs and HDDs might be too slow to achieve gameplay parity in certain areas/aspects. They should just make the USB ports compatible only with drives that can achieve NX cartridge speeds. SDD are closing in on HDDs fast, this comversation might be meaningless in a few years.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Darwinianevolution said:
I'm not a digital-only guy, I still prefer retail. If I can get a couple of 64gb SD cards, I'll probably have more than enough space for the entire gen.

Me too. I have a 1TB external plugged into my Wii U and have used less than 32GB - and I have a lot of games. I ran through the included 32GB of internal, yes, but most games not requiring partial/full installs is a big reason why I have used less than 64GB of space altogther. 

I have nothing on my PS4 and I am constantly deleting intalls to make room on 500GB. 

I'm not into the digital-only life anyhow. I've been buying a lot of retro consoles lately and the idea of not having physical media takes some of the fun out of gaming. Nostalgia plays a part in my enjoyment of the art form. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

potato_hamster said:
onionberry said:

You can't actually expect Nintendo to let you just run NS ROMS directly off of SD cards.

Hello piracy!

maybe a proprietary solution? too many questions, we will have to wait sadly.

Soundwave said:

Why 8MB cartridges are better than 512MB CDs.

Why GBA connectivity is better than online play.

Why SD resolution is better than HD resolution.

Why a tablet screen on a controller is better than 1.8 terafl ... awwww screw it.

It never ends, lol.

Haha Thanks I needed a laugh

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Finally... Nintendo was right eventually.

Carts > Discs