By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why NS 128GB SD is better than Xbox/PS 500GB HDD.

Do PS4/XBO have SSD internally or HDD?

If it's HDD then Nintendo could eliminate not only installations but loading times too.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Finally... Nintendo was right eventually.

Carts > Discs

They always have been.

Cost is the problem.

Pyro as Bill said:

If it's HDD then Nintendo could eliminate not only installations but loading times too.

hdd

FunFan said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, the docking station does have 2 usb ports. I don't see why that can't be plugged into 1 or 2 external hard drives.

Granted it can't in portable mode but they could make it so that you can move games between the two. So like you have some games on your internal storage which you can take with you any time while others, you can just leave in the external hard drives.

Almost perfect. But I think Nintendo wants to take advantage of the cartridges speed in their game designs and HDDs might be too slow to achieve gameplay parity in certain areas/aspects. They should just make the USB ports compatible only with drives that can achieve NX cartridge speeds. SDD are closing in on HDDs fast, this comversation might be meaningless in a few years.

Hmm well... I don't know if the casual consumer is educated enough to know the difference between a SSD and a hard drive. So idk if that will be a good idea regardless of cost.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

onionberry said:
Pyro as Bill said:

hdd

You can't change them to SSD either?

HDD = 122MB write speed

SSD = 456MB

This gets better and better.

Around the Network

For better or worse, it is what it is. We'll work with it.

onionberry said:
potato_hamster said:

You can't actually expect Nintendo to let you just run NS ROMS directly off of SD cards.

Hello piracy!

maybe a proprietary solution? too many questions, we will have to wait sadly.

The problem there, is that Nintendo can't just make an oddly shaped SD card because people will just make adapters for them. It has to be something that cannot be adapted. The problem with doing tahtThen you run into Playstation Vita storage card-like cost problems. Sony wasn't charging that much for those cards for fun, they were significantly more expensive to make to ensure they couldn't be pirated easily.

If it comes with a 128GB SD card, I'd agree.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Pyro as Bill said:
onionberry said:

hdd

HDD = 122MB write speed

SSD = 456MB

you can put a ssd on the ps4 not sure about the xbox one but I think yes, anyways, still need game installation. That's where the NS wins, no installation and quick loading time.

onionberry said:
Pyro as Bill said:

HDD = 122MB write speed

SSD = 456MB

you can put a ssd on the ps4 not sure about the xbox one but I think yes, anyways, still need game installation. That's where the NS wins, no installation and quick loading time.

Samsung's latest SSD are 5000MB, 1 second loading on SSD = 40 sec on HDD. Looks like cartridges might be back for good.