By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why NS 128GB SD is better than Xbox/PS 500GB HDD.

onionberry said:

because we don't have to install the games.  NS games run directly from the cartridge, on ps4 and xbox 500 is almost nothing even if you buy physical games.

Hey somebody sees it! Maybe I didn't make this point significant enough in the OP.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
What if the Switch can allow using multiple SD cards as well? If you can put two 128 SD cards on your console, you could get pretty close to a regular 500gb hard drive. Wouldn't that solve the problem of space?

Absolutely. Multiple SD card slots could be a good feature. But I think NS will actually support 512GB and this then becomes a meh point.

I mean, the docking station does have 2 usb ports. I don't see why that can't be plugged into 1 or 2 external hard drives.

Granted it can't in portable mode but they could make it so that you can move games between the two. So like you have some games on your internal storage which you can take with you any time while others, you can just leave in the external hard drives.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Bandorr said:

No because they do different things. I have a SSD in my computer for booting up. I have an HDD for backing up.

I refuse to go all digital and prefer physical stuff so I can uninstall/reinstall easily.  I will never have space issue even on a 500 gig HD.

That doesn't make the comparison a good one though. Better for a device does not make it better for all.

That doesn't make sense. You're maximising cost not specifying which is technically better. SSD is technically better than HDD, even at backup storage. Its faster to read/write by a significant amount and its more durable / safer for storage. Just because per GB HDD is cheaper, it is not better.

Same goes here. SD cards are far faster which removes one of the biggest reasons you need a large HDD on other consoles. Buying phsical media with NS means you won't also need to install 50GB to HDD. NS flatly won't need a 500GB HDD unless you do go all digital and even then you can just buy a few cards or possibly one 512GB card.

In 2006, $25 didn't even get you a 2GB card

In 2011, $25 gets 16GB

In 2016, $25 gets 128GB

That puts 512GB in mid 2018 and 1TB in 2021.

Source: http://www.jcmit.com/flashprice.htm

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
superchunk said:
onionberry said:

because we don't have to install the games.  NS games run directly from the cartridge, on ps4 and xbox 500 is almost nothing even if you buy physical games.

Hey somebody sees it! Maybe I didn't make this point significant enough in the OP.

^_^

Games not running off discs is great and saves a bunch of memory. But 32-64 gigs still seems small to me when you get into system updates, etc. It's then essentially useless for game downloads, forcing you to buy SD cards.

superchunk said:
onionberry said:

Yeah, if only there weren't digital copies of games that can't be put on a cartridge... That is, unless you want Nintendo only distribute physical copies of games.

superchunk said:
Bandorr said:
I like predictable people.

At least this isn't another odd Nintendo conspiracy thread.

Your use of "better" is awkward. SD is better for a portable device. That doesn't make it better than a HDD. Thus making comparison wanting and almost baiting of console users.

Would you agree that an SSD is better than an HDD?

Within a certain percentage. 

I'd rather have a 500GB HDD over a 128GB SSD/

But I'd struggle on choosing between a 300GB SSD over a 500GB HDD if the prices were similar. But obviously they're not so that's why I go with an SSD boot drive that's 64gb With a 750GB HDD for storage.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, the docking station does have 2 usb ports. I don't see why that can't be plugged into 1 or 2 external hard drives.

Granted it can't in portable mode but they could make it so that you can move games between the two. So like you have some games on your internal storage which you can take with you any time while others, you can just leave in the external hard drives.

But still, why use hard drive when Nintendo could allow 128 x 4 to be put into something similar to an R4 cart and keep all the mobility.

If games are tied to an account, you could have 100s of games installed but only be allowed to play the ones that have been paid for.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!