By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why NS 128GB SD is better than Xbox/PS 500GB HDD.

Bandorr said:
Neodegenerate said:

With that bolded area you see the point.  The only situation where I feel the SD card part is better than the HD part is in one specific instance that is rather unlikely.

Ah I understand. I misunderstood. I thought you were saying A was better than B because of that. Not that A is better than B in that one instance.

My mistake, sorry.

No worries.  I probably could've been more sarcastic and made the point better in my first post.

Around the Network

Well I prefer physical copies anyways so it's not a big deal for me.. but hopefully it's good enough size wise for most games

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

shikamaru317 said:

It's fine for physical gamers since games can play directly from the cart. Digital gamers are screwed though, they're going to have to swap out SD cards pretty often because 128 GB + 32GB built in is only going to hold a few games. Not to mention each 128 GB SD card is going to cost them $40+ (using current prices). Switch is definitely not a console for those who prefer digital only.

Digital gamers will have to pay more for HDDs to attach to their other consoles as well or delete/reinstall. I really see this as a minor issue compared to the advantages of solid state memory over disc/hdd.

potato_hamster said:

You can't actually expect Nintendo to let you just run NS ROMS directly off of SD cards.

Hello piracy!

You do that now with 3DS and WiiU. Why would you think you could not play directly from the SD cards? or was she suggesting something I'm missing?

chapset said:
did I miss something or aren't sd cards still pretty expensive vs blurays ? if they do use 128GB cards it's very possible that NS games will be 10-20$ more expensive then on PS/X1 like back in the N64 days. fuck that shit

SD card != game cart.

Games will come on a cart that likely varies in size based on what the develper needs. They are moderately more expensive than a bluray, but not so much so that it becomes prohibative or pushes up the price of the game. I think that is evidenced by 3DS now and that games are actually cheaper than home consoles.

SD cards are what is being used for storage expansion vs HDD.

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
It's a handheld. Why compare it to true home consoles under any aspect?

Because it will have the same games and potential customers... is a home console.

If we can actually put data on the game cards (DLCs, patches) then cool.
If we have to rely only on the internal storage of 32GB and a external SD card of 128GB, those games better not be as big as the ones on PS4/One. But I think they won't be. They will probably be around the same size as WiiU games.

But frankly, a 64 internal storage and a 256GB sd cards would be better.

superchunk said:
potato_hamster said:

You can't actually expect Nintendo to let you just run NS ROMS directly off of SD cards.

Hello piracy!

You do that now with 3DS and WiiU. Why would you think you could not play directly from the SD cards? or was she suggesting something I'm missing?

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1474/~/wii-u-internal-storage-space-information

"Can I use an SD Card to save game data on the Wii U system?

For Wii U, SD Cards can be used for saving a picture of your Mii and QR Code patterns for your Mii, but not as an external storage device for Wii U software. SD Cards can, however, be used in Wii mode to save data for Wii games. This data is managed through the Data Management feature in Wii mode. SD cards are also used to transfer data from Wii to Wii U."

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/337/~/do-nintendo-3ds-games-save-to-the-sd-card-%2F-microsd-card-%2F-system-memory%3F

Do Nintendo 3DS Games Save to the SD Card / microSD Card / System Memory?

"No. While some Game Cards do save SpotPass and StreetPass information to the SD card or system memory, game progress (levels completed, items collected, etc.) is saved to the Nintendo 3DS Game Card.

Note that save data for titles downloaded through the Nintendo eShop (not played on a game card) is saved to the system memory.?"

No storing games on SD cards on the Wii U or 3DS, for super obvious reasons.

Why do people keep saying NS supports 128GB SD when the Wii U and 3DS supports 2TB?

potato_hamster said:
superchunk said:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1474/~/wii-u-internal-storage-space-information

"Can I use an SD Card to save game data on the Wii U system?

For Wii U, SD Cards can be used for saving a picture of your Mii and QR Code patterns for your Mii, but not as an external storage device for Wii U software. SD Cards can, however, be used in Wii mode to save data for Wii games. This data is managed through the Data Management feature in Wii mode. SD cards are also used to transfer data from Wii to Wii U."

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/337/~/do-nintendo-3ds-games-save-to-the-sd-card-%2F-microsd-card-%2F-system-memory%3F

Do Nintendo 3DS Games Save to the SD Card / microSD Card / System Memory?

"No. While some Game Cards do save SpotPass and StreetPass information to the SD card or system memory, game progress (levels completed, items collected, etc.) is saved to the Nintendo 3DS Game Card.

Note that save data for titles downloaded through the Nintendo eShop (not played on a game card) is saved to the system memory.?"

No storing games on SD cards on the Wii U or 3DS, for super obvious reasons.

Your first link is accurate as SD cards in WiiU were only for BC and Wii. However, you could connect an external HDD or SSD and save/play games directly from that.

Your second link is referring to game save information from a game you physically own. I own 3DS and 2DS systems and you can buy a digital game, store it on the SD card and play it as such.

It is rather silly to think that these devices won't let you download digitally purchased games to the only extensible storage options they offer and play from those options.