By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How often do you buy new gaming hardware?

I will start with 2010 because I can't remember how it was before.
2010 - Playstation 3
2012 - Playstation Vita
2015 - Playstation 4

At the moment there are no plans for me to buy a new console until Playstation 5 (2019-2020).

Around the Network

PS1 was given to me as a gift (parents) in 1995.
PS2 UK launch in 2000
Gamecude in 2003 (wind waker)
PS3 When it had that price drop as launch was stupid price (2009? just in time for FF13)
PS4 1 year after release (2014 along side dragon age, about time they announced a new DA isn't it?)

I guess if anything now, I wait until the generation has started and then buy the console when a new game I'm interested in just releases. My next purchase I guess will be PS5, unless VR or Switch brings out something I have to buy on them (VR if WipeOut is on it).

Hmm, pie.

1988 - LCD games (handheld)
1990 - Gameboy (handheld)
1993 - Initiation to PC (default "console")
1994 - MegaDrive (console)
1994 - Mega-CD (console)
2002 - s40 J2ME (mobile)
2004 - s60 Symbian (mobile)
2005 - N-Gage (mobile)
2007 - HTC Touch WM6 (mobile)
2007 - Wii (console)
2008 - DS Lite (handheld)
2008 - iPod Touch (mobile)
2012 - HTC Desire C Android (mobile)
2012 - WiiU (console)
2015 - Samsung Note 4 Android (mobile)

My PC gaming was spent through 6 desktops and 3 laptops.

---
For the future? Might build a new desktop and maybe next year I'm due a new Nintendo console.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

"Family Consoles" I shared with my brother

(Dad Bought it before I was born) - Intellivision
(Dont Remember date) - NES

Purchase with my own money

1994 SNES (Bought Used off a friend, First Console I bought with my own money)
1995 Playstation (only console I ever bought on launch day)
2000 Built First PC
2003 Playstation 2
2004 Built Second computer
2008 Built Third Computer
2009 Playstation 3
2013 Built Fourth Computer
2016 Upgraded Video Card on Computer
2016 HTC Vive
2016 Playstation 4 Pro (will be buying Before FF15 Launch)

These days the only games I play on consoles are JRPG's. Yes I am aware you can play them on PC and am aware of the advantages but call it a an old habit or nostalgic or what ever the reason it just don't feel right to play JRPG on my computer. Every other genre I use my PC for.

Mummelmann said:
Zekkyou said:

2005 - DS
2006 - PSP
2007 - Wii
2008 - PS3
2009 - PSP Go
2010 - 360
2010 - First gaming PC, pre-built (£700~)
2011 - GTX480 for 2010 PC (£350~)
2012 - 3DS
2013 - PS4
2013 - 3DSXL
2013 - Second gaming PC (£2000~)
2014 - PS3 Slim, bought because my PS3's disk drive stopped working.
2014 - PSVita
2016 - Third gaming PC (£3700~, including 4k screen)
2017 - Planning to buy a PS4Pro. I wasn't initially, but the Horizon: Zero Dawn 4k checkerboord fotage sold me.
2017 - Planning to re-build 2013 PC with a smaller case.

I'm pretty sure that's everything, and in the correct years (i almost forgot about the PSP Go :p). I've also included purchases i'm strongly expecting to make next year. I might end up getting a Switch too, but that's far from certain right now (its an interesting concept, but not one that meshes well with my gaming preference, so i'm waiting on more game announcements).

Woah, woah woah! What's this monstrosity?! Care to elaborate? *goes into nerd drool mode*

Built April/May of this year:

CPU: Intel i7-5930k
RAM: 64GB DDR4 (3000)
GPU: 2x GTX 980 Ti (EVGA Classified)
HDD: 4x 2TB 7200rpm (WD black)
SSD: San Disk Exstreme Pro 480GB
CPU Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H110i

It's a shame i don't live in the US, otherwise i'd have been able to push the boat out even further, but i'm happy enough with how it turned out. I'd have liked to wait for the 1080, but unfortunately this build is also for work, and i couldn't afford to wait any longer. I also bought a 4k screen for about £600 (you can get them a decent amount cheaper, but i needed one with a large colour range for work, which dragged the price up). 

*strokes PC*

Around the Network

Too often. Since 2011 I've bought
3DS
3DS XL
New 3DS XL
Wii
WiiU
PS3
PS4
PSV
XBO
Gaming PC
N64
PS2

Zekkyou said:
Mummelmann said:

Woah, woah woah! What's this monstrosity?! Care to elaborate? *goes into nerd drool mode*

It's a shame i don't live in the US, otherwise i'd have been able to push the boat out even further, but i'm happy enough with how it turned out. I'd have liked to wait for the 1080, but unfortunately this build is also for work, and i couldn't afford to wait any longer. I also bought a 4k screen for about £600 (you can get them a decent amount cheaper, but i needed one with a large colour range for work, which dragged the price up). 

*strokes PC*

Nice! We have the same processor, and the same GPU, down to the EVGA bit but I have only one. Why do you have so much RAM, is that work related? I have only 16GB, gonna double it next year, games like GTA V are pushing the need for more memory and some mods to certain games ramp up the usage as well. Processor is gold, I've yet to come across anything that challenges it in the slightest.
I'm guessing you're pulling some pretty good frame rates with that dual-GPU setup? I chose to go with 1440p for now, monitor is great, cost about 500£, 32" with great color and contrast, good for both games and movies, on paper it has a "slow" response time of 5ms, but I can't say I've noticed it at all.

Good stuff!

Mummelmann said:
Zekkyou said:

*strokes PC*

Nice! We have the same processor, and the same GPU, down to the EVGA bit but I have only one. Why do you have so much RAM, is that work related? I have only 16GB, gonna double it next year, games like GTA V are pushing the need for more memory and some mods to certain games ramp up the usage as well. Processor is gold, I've yet to come across anything that challenges it in the slightest.
I'm guessing you're pulling some pretty good frame rates with that dual-GPU setup? I chose to go with 1440p for now, monitor is great, cost about 500£, 32" with great color and contrast, good for both games and movies, on paper it has a "slow" response time of 5ms, but I can't say I've noticed it at all.

Good stuff!

Yeah the RAM is work related, i'm dragged into After Effects a lot and the more RAM the merrier in there (render times in particular scale incredibly well with jumps from 16, 32, and 64). Totally agree on the processor front, even work wise it's up to pretty much anything i throw at it.

You can get some great results from duel-980 Ti's, definitely. I can hit 4k/max/60fps in most games, with some variability in the more demanding areas of stuff like GTA5 and TW3 (though my screen has g-sync, which helps in those situations). In general i'm super happy with how games run on it. I'll likely have to start turning some settings down as new high-spec games release, but i can hardly complain. It sounds like your PC is no lightweight either though! When did you build it?

Zekkyou said:

Yeah the RAM is work related, i'm dragged into After Effects a lot and the more RAM the merrier in there (render times in particular scale incredibly well with jumps from 16, 32, and 64). Totally agree on the processor front, even work wise it's up to pretty much anything i throw at it.

You can get some great results from duel-980 Ti's, definitely. I can hit 4k/max/60fps in most games, with some variability in the more demanding areas of stuff like GTA5 and TW3 (though my screen has g-sync, which helps in those situations). In general i'm super happy with how games run on it. I'll likely have to start turning some settings down as new high-spec games release, but i can hardly complain. It sounds like your PC is no lightweight either though! When did you build it?

July last year, 980Ti was pretty much as good as it got back then, same or better performance than a Titan and at a lower price. I waited for AMD to show their new line with HBM but the memory pool itself was too small and the cards didn't deliver the performance I was hoping for. I went with a huge tower for maximum airflow, lessening the need for cooling fans and systems and, of course, only SSD, both for system and games. Having killer hardware and regular HDD's just doesn't make sense to me and SSD's have really come down in price in the past two years or so.

Mummelmann said:

July last year, 980Ti was pretty much as good as it got back then, same or better performance than a Titan and at a lower price. I waited for AMD to show their new line with HBM but the memory pool itself was too small and the cards didn't deliver the performance I was hoping for. I went with a huge tower for maximum airflow, lessening the need for cooling fans and systems and, of course, only SSD, both for system and games. Having killer hardware and regular HDD's just doesn't make sense to me and SSD's have really come down in price in the past two years or so.

I wish i could have afforded more SSD's, but i was restricted by my need for a lot of easily accessible storage (currently sitting at about 5.5tb). I have enough space to store the OS and games i frequently visit on the SDD, but for the most part i put them on the 3rd HDD. It might be worth me picking up another SSD next year specially for storing games on. Mind my asking which SSD you use?