By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Ship 2 Million Units in Launch Month, Says President

Nintendo Switch Will Ship 2 Million Units in Launch Month, Says President

Kimishima also confirms Nintendo Switch won't be sold at a loss

Nintendo's next gaming platform, Switch, will ship two million units during the financial year ending March 2017, according to company president Tatsumi Kimishima. Shipping units doesn't translate to sales, so the number is more indicative of how many consoles Nintendo is aiming to have with retailers during its first month on sale.

from twitter: Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March

Speaking during a financial briefing, as reported by the Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki, Kimishima also said Switch won't be sold at a loss. This is noteworthy as, traditionally, hardware is sold at a loss and software is used to recoup these costs.

Not selling consoles at an initial loss can often mean the price of the hardware is high, but Kimishima said Nintendo is is "listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price."

from twitter: On Switch: Nintendo CEO says company won't make loss by selling it; but also listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price.

Kimishima echoed similar sentiments during a Q&A in May: "We are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss," he said. "When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX."

Finally, Kimishima said that, following the Switch's full reveal, he believes consumers will understand what distinguishes the console from its other portable platform, the 3DS. He did not elaborate, however.

from twitter: Nintendo CEO's confident that after full unveiling of Switch, consumers would understand that it would be different from 3DS.

As previously unveiled, the Nintendo Switch is a home console and handheld hybrid.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-will-ship-2-million-units-in-launc/1100-6444804/

Sorry.  Having problems with Twitter again. Thanks for your patience.  

Around the Network

Guess I'm going to have to pre-order it soon then.

$250, baby.

Seems achievable if it's a world wide launch.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

2 million seem decent enough.Not great though.

Should be noted though, that they plan to ship that many unit just to sell in the remaining days of march, so it wont be the total shipment for a full month.So lets say that the Switch launches on the 20th, so they "plan" to sell 2 millions in 10 days.But they could also launch the system in the 10th.So it really depends on the day it launches to say if this is good or bad news.But it is safe to say that it will be way less than 30 days.I think the minimum is to last 20 days.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

March can't come soon enough.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

KLXVER said:
Guess I'm going to have to pre-order it soon then.

Yep same! 

Just seeing which shop i should do it in. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I might preorder, since I do blindly support sony and nintendo, depends on my occupation at the time.

vivster said:
Seems achievable if it's a world wide launch.

If its not a world wide launch then Zelda BOTW won't be a world wide launch...... Which might seem weird. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Hmmm that actually seems a little low? Maybe I'm mistaken, would have thought a console would ship more at launch though.