By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Will Ship 2 Million Units in Launch Month, Says President

teigaga said:
Faelco said:

They apparently did say that, in an investors meeting (or Q and A) after the Switch reveal. It was explained in a tweet by one of their investors (tweet deleted since then). 

NDA type information is not given at investor meetings, so if it was deleted it is likley because it was false.

Ya, I don't get that at all. Plus more investors would report it, I will wait and see on this, doesn't change my perception on buying said device, but at the same time I find it questionable if it is indeed different device. I could see 3DS successor that is better at being pure handheld switch device. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
2 million shipped shouldn't surprise anyone.

2 million actual sales is another story.

I can see it selling that much on launch, if marketed correctly. It is really where from that. Remember Wii U/3DS didn't do bad on launch, it was where from that it did horrible. 

Wyrdness said:
Barkley said:
Hmmm that actually seems a little low? Maybe I'm mistaken, would have thought a console would ship more at launch though.

2m in launch month is good, PS4 had around that much at launch as well.

PS4 sold 4.2 millions in more or less one month after launch though (after 1.5 month in the US, 1 month in the EU, without Japan).  

Sound okay. If those 2 million fly off the shelves, then the shortage could generate some buzz in the coming months.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Acevil said:
teigaga said:

NDA type information is not given at investor meetings, so if it was deleted it is likley because it was false.

Ya, I don't get that at all. Plus more investors would report it, I will wait and see on this, doesn't change my perception on buying said device, but at the same time I find it questionable if it is indeed different device. I could see 3DS successor that is better at being pure handheld switch device. 

Until the system is fully detailed and Nintendo are no longer in this state of secrecy, people will continue to overreact to every ambigious wording that gets reported. And yeah, logic rules out the idea of a 3DS successor (they've merged their departments for a reason). They will simply release a smaller, less power hungry Switch down the road. 

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Acevil said:

Until the system is fully detailed and Nintendo are no longer in this state of secrecy, people will continue to overreact to every ambigious wording that gets reported. 

"*may not be the final colour*" - Nintendo

"OMFG IT'S GONNA BE NEON PINK WITH A GLOWING RAINBOW TRIM AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY IT ANY OTHER COLOUR!!!!" - the internet.

Yea ima have to preorder this...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Barkley said:
teigaga said:

Until the system is fully detailed and Nintendo are no longer in this state of secrecy, people will continue to overreact to every ambigious wording that gets reported. 

"*may not be the final colour*" - Nintendo

"OMFG IT'S GONNA BE NEON PINK WITH A GLOWING RAINBOW TRIM AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY IT ANY OTHER COLOUR!!!!" - the internet.

LMAO, pretty much

teigaga said:
Faelco said:

They apparently did say that, in an investors meeting (or Q and A) after the Switch reveal. It was explained in a tweet by one of their investors (tweet deleted since then). 

A deleted tweet doesn't mean that it's false though, even more in the financial sector. You don't want your tweet to mess with Nintendo's business when you're one of Nintendo's investors for example...

Nintendo is really insisting on "the Switch is a home console and is different from the 3DS", so we'll see. It's not like Nintendo never made any mistake, and keeping their pure handheld market alive as a safety net is not necessarily a mistake anyway. 

teigaga said:
Acevil said:

Until the system is fully detailed and Nintendo are no longer in this state of secrecy, people will continue to overreact to every ambigious wording that gets reported. And yeah, logic rules out the idea of a 3DS successor (they've merged their departments for a reason). They will simply release a smaller, less power hungry Switch down the road. 

That is why I don't pay attention to this forum for the large part in terms of opinion honestly, both from Nintendo and Sony fans, I am cautious unlike a lot of Nintendo fans, but I am not jaded to jump on everything like sony fans. (I happen to be both a Nintendo and Sony fan). 

I do say that I understand faelco, so hope that this message isn't dismissing that person.