By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 4 surpasses Halo 5 in global total sales

Azzanation said:

So a game outsells another game with twice the User base is amazing results?
You know what's amazing, Halo 5 selling the same as Uncharted 4 with half the user base. < That's what people should be looking at.
Besides Halo 5 has sold over 5m units, I doubt or will be shocked if UC4 has sold more digital copies than Halo 5.

I love when people dont look into the reasons to why. Twice the market you would hope to out sell your competitor. Halo 5 would have sold more copies on the PS4 than the XB1 so either way these comparisons mean nothing.

My question is, why arent we comparing total sales? (Digital) Sounds abit odd espeacilly since Halo 5 has sold more than UC4 lifetime.  

If you had read even the last 10 or so posts in this thread you would see this is exactley the conversation that's taking place.

To bring you up to speed, the effect userbase has on total sales is potentialy significant, but nowhere near 1:1.

On top of that, Uncharted 4 has sold more than twice as quickly and has yet to go through its first holiday season.

We also have no idea what total sales are for each game since we don't have digital numbers for either game.

Oh, and the idea that digital sales are higher on the Xbox One than on the PS4 is a myth pulled out of thin air as an excuse for weaker software sales.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Halo 3

It's easy to just throw out games as if they are anything more than an exception to the rule, but if you apply logic and context you can see why this is just another irrelevant deflection. Halo 3 sold a lot for various reasons. One big reason is similar to the Nintendo games, lack of competition. It came around before CoD4 exploded, and before Battlefield became a legitimate franchise on consoles. Also, hype. I can't think of a single game as hyped as Halo 3, except maybe Modern Warfare 2. You could be puming gas at 7-11 and instead of thanking you for your business, the gas pump would tell you to remember to go inside and preorder your copy of Halo 3. It was ridiculous. Lastly, Halo as a brand was stronger then. You and others act as if people talking about userbase are saying it's entirely the userbase. We have said it's also franchise fatigue, and stronger competition. It's just good old fashion common sense.

The guys we have been discussing want to credit it more to userbase than to franchise getting weaker and competition getting stronger.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

So if you aren't meaning those are sold numbers how do you want to compare it to sold numbers.

I'm beginning to question whether or not you follow the context of my response.  The entire point of my comment you quoted is in the confidence of my claim of H5 having more digital sales than UC4.  

1.) Do you also believe that to--currently--be true?

2.) If not, what points can you bring up that rebut the claim?

Using the 5 million (sold to customers) number O' Connor was specifically used to suggest we could get some educated guess at the rate of physical/digital (at the time).  I'm totally down with seeing contrary points that may suggest my claim is incorrect though.  And I'd hope it sticks to the points/argument b/c my patience is running thin for bullshit snark doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

How many has Halo 5 sold digitally versus Uncharted 4?

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

So if you aren't meaning those are sold numbers how do you want to compare it to sold numbers.

I'm beginning to question whether or not you follow the context of my response.  The entire point of my comment you quoted is in the confidence of my claim of H5 having more digital sales than UC4.  

Using the 5 million (sold to customers) number O' Connor was specifically used to suggest we could get some educated guess at the rate of physical/digital (at the time).  I'm totally down with seeing contrary points that may suggest my claim is incorrect though.  And I'd hope it sticks to the points/argument b/c my patience is running thin for bullshit snark doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Wait? So...you think, that if you make a claim, it's the responsibility of others to disprove it? That's not how that works.

Hey, 75% of Uncharted 4 sales were digital. Have any evidence to suggest otherwise? No? Cool.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

That is what you don't understand. We aren't believing that 5M is sold to customers. And we already got aquamarine (who have access to numbers) that digital ratio is 25-30% not 50%.

So no, I don't think there is any data that can determine Halo 5 had more digital sales than UC4 to any significant degree (and beware that VGC count bundle sales no matter if digital or physical the same way).

Your point is totally hold on your own opinion or other people wishes... we already had doze threads on this subject close to Halo5 release when people were trying to cover for less than expected sales.

And I would appreciate if you watch your tone and keep the forum civil.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Lol, this thread is funny. So much spin.

Let me attempt to make it easy fir everyone even tho we are using VGC highly suspect numbers.

Ok, U4 just passed Halo after about 5 months on the market to Halo's 10-11 months. But let's say Halo is still ahead due to this myth that XB1 games sell more digitally.

So how about this, at its current rate, after its first holiday season U4 would have sold 25% more than whateevr Halo 5's sales are.

And by this time next year, it's sales to halo would be 2:1 at least.

How's that for a bold prediction.

And to those saying the sales of uncharted are attributed to it selling to a larger install base and how great it is that Halo even sold as much as it did..... well, that's no doubt a remarkable observation. Pity while they came up with that theory they didn't account to the fact that U4 has matched halo sales while being on the market for half the time and without a holiday boost under its belt. 

Intrinsic said:

Lol, this thread is funny. So much spin.

Let me attempt to make it easy fir everyone even tho we are using VGC highly suspect numbers.

Ok, U4 just passed Halo after about 5 months on the market to Halo's 10-11 months. But let's say Halo is still ahead due to this myth that XB1 games sell more digitally.

So how about this, at its current rate, after its first holiday season U4 would have sold 25% more than whateevr Halo 5's sales are.

And by this time next year, it's sales to halo would be 2:1 at least.

How's that for a bold prediction.

And to those saying the sales of uncharted are attributed to it selling to a larger install base and how great it is that Halo even sold as much as it did..... well, that's no doubt a remarkable observation. Pity while they came up with that theory they didn't account to the fact that U4 has matched halo sales while being on the market for half the time and without a holiday boost under its belt. 

Lol I honestly didn't expect this much downplay in this thread. Got users saying Halo 5 isnt a mainline Halo game. Smh

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:

Lol I honestly didn't expect this much downplay in this thread. Got users saying Halo 5 isnt a mainline Halo game. Smh

Wait what? you are kidding right?

Normchacho said:
Azzanation said:

So a game outsells another game with twice the User base is amazing results?
You know what's amazing, Halo 5 selling the same as Uncharted 4 with half the user base. < That's what people should be looking at.
Besides Halo 5 has sold over 5m units, I doubt or will be shocked if UC4 has sold more digital copies than Halo 5.

I love when people dont look into the reasons to why. Twice the market you would hope to out sell your competitor. Halo 5 would have sold more copies on the PS4 than the XB1 so either way these comparisons mean nothing.

My question is, why arent we comparing total sales? (Digital) Sounds abit odd espeacilly since Halo 5 has sold more than UC4 lifetime.  

If you had read even the last 10 or so posts in this thread you would see this is exactley the conversation that's taking place.

To bring you up to speed, the effect userbase has on total sales is potentialy significant, but nowhere near 1:1.

On top of that, Uncharted 4 has sold more than twice as quickly and has yet to go through its first holiday season.

We also have no idea what total sales are for each game since we don't have digital numbers for either game.

Oh, and the idea that digital sales are higher on the Xbox One than on the PS4 is a myth pulled out of thin air as an excuse for weaker software sales.

No. Its a misleading headline and more hardware sold leads to more potential sales regardless on how people try to twist it. 

Halo 5 has sold over 5m units and it did that months ago. So those saying UC4 has outsold H5 are grasping at straws. There is no different to a phyical sales customer and a digital one. 

Funny how its been avoided because Sony would have announced UC4 selling over 5m if it reached that mile stone.

End of day is H5 has sold over 5m units so whats the point of this article apart from grasping at straws to claim a victory of something which is false anyway because again H5 is well over 5m now. 

More hardware sold = higher protential sales. Ask any buisness man that.

Intrinsic said:
alternine said:

Wait what? you are kidding right?

Ha ha ha. Nope. He isn't. And you got no other than foodfather (who else?) to thank for that:

foodfather said:
It's a bit of a silly comparison considering

1. Halo's decline as a system seller
2. Halo 5 isn't exactly a mainline Halo game
3. Install Base difference
4. Vgchartz don't seem too accurate in XBO game sales. Why I don't know.

It's a good achievement for UC4, but i doubt Uncharted 4 will ever outsell Halo 3 or 4.                                      

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8121335

Hilarious, right?