By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch... the gimmick is not bad.

agree because _____ 52 65.82%

disagree because _____ 27 34.18%

Total:79

A gimmick can be good or bad. Its just been adopted by many gamers to mean something that's bad.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
onionberry said:

I'm not too worried about the battery life because there are going to be third party batteries or even from Nintendo like the high capacity battery. But hopefully the one that comes with the console is good enough. Anyways, it's good that the game design is not going to be affected by their needs of being creative.

Yea but that's not a good reason... If it wants to be portable, Nintendo shouldn't half-ass the portability. Every tablet that sells these days have a 10 hour battery life. Now I am not asking for 10 hours but at least 5. Saying that I have to buy additional stuff because Nintendo/Nvidia didn't think about the basics is not a good excuse...

I agree that its good that the game design isn't going to be affected but this gimmick still can be considered a bad one. And it certainly will by the reviewers if thats what the battery life is. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Come on theres a big difference between a tablet that lasts 10 hours and a portable console that can game for 10 hours.
Try playing an intensive game on your tablet nonstop for 10 hours and see how long it actually lasts.

If the Switch can game for 3 hours straight before needing to be charged then thats pretty solid. 
Also I know im a typical nerd who doesnt leave the house much and all but who is spending 3+ hours away from a power outlet where they want to be gaming??

Captain_Yuri said:

Yes... If this thing is successful... Its coming from the wiiU to compete with two markets (console/tablet) both of which are highly competitive...

It needs to be successful first and in order to do that, it needs to hit all those checkboxes to have the best chance. Battery life is a big checkbox if the device is portable.

I don't think any of that will matter. The markets are competitive, but the Switch is coming at both from the side.

It doesn't need to hit all of the boxes to have the best chance. It just needs to hit most of them. 3 hour battery life will just create demand for accessories to remedy it. If the Switch fails because of batteries, it had far bigger issues than just battery life.

If everything about the Switch is awesome but the batteries, the Switch is going to absolutely going to wreck the console scene, only now with an external battery pack attatched.

Do any of you nice people know how leaker got the 3 hour number from? Like I know she got it from the dev kit but does it say in the specs somewhere that the consumer edition will be 3 hours or did she just ran a game on the dev kit and tested to see how long it lasted?

Cause it would be a bit odd for a dev kit to last very long since its a dev kit... Why would anyone put a care worthy battery inside a dev kit? Those are meant to be used for programming, and not for an actual replacement for the device right?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Do any of you nice people know how leaker got the 3 hour number from? Like I know she got it from the dev kit but does it say in the specs somewhere that the consumer edition will be 3 hours or did she just ran a game on the dev kit and tested to see how long it lasted?

Cause it would be a bit odd for a dev kit to last very long since its a dev kit... Why would anyone put a care worthy battery inside a dev kit? Those are meant to be used for programming, and not for an actual replacement for the device right?

3 hours makes sense though for anyone who's research the Tegra X1 chips ... it consumes 10 watts just for the GPU when running full tilt. 

Even the largest tablet battery would die in about 3 hours with that chip being pushed hard. The iPad Pro, the massive 12-inch Apple tablet has a 38.8 wH (watt hour battery), that means if a chip + LCD screen + RAM are consuming say 12-13 watts, such a battery would be dead in about 3 hours. 

There's no ifs, ands, or buts about this either or some magic Nintendo technology to change it, portable electronics are tightly constrained by battery technology. 

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea but that's not a good reason... If it wants to be portable, Nintendo shouldn't half-ass the portability. Every tablet that sells these days have a 10 hour battery life. Now I am not asking for 10 hours but at least 5. Saying that I have to buy additional stuff because Nintendo/Nvidia didn't think about the basics is not a good excuse...

I agree that its good that the game design isn't going to be affected but this gimmick still can be considered a bad one. And it certainly will by the reviewers if thats what the battery life is. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Come on theres a big difference between a tablet that lasts 10 hours and a portable console that can game for 10 hours.
Try playing an intensive game on your tablet nonstop for 10 hours and see how long it actually lasts.

If the Switch can game for 3 hours straight before needing to be charged then thats pretty solid. 
Also I know im a typical nerd who doesnt leave the house much and all but who is spending 3+ hours away from a power outlet where they want to be gaming??

Asking the real questions here.

ktay95 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yes but this has to convience people that they need either another one or they need this one instead... And not to mention that this isn't like a ps4 on the go... It is still using mobile parts like an arm cpu + a very low power Nvidia GPU.

While I understand the argument of what is doing is impressive... Gaming is what this is primarily meant for. Its easy for people in forums to understand why it has a 3 hour battery but what about the causals? If the reviews say, oh it has a 3 hour battery, do you really think the masses will be impressed?

Also to answer your question. If its portable... Anyone going outside?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Well atleast it wouldn't be a permanent issue without fixes so not as bad if Nintendo screws up with the battery.

For those who are willing to give it a chance regardless of it's battery life, sure. But lets think of it this way. Nintendo is launching a product after the wiiU which wasn't very successful and got a lot of bad rep that targets two different markets that is filled with competition. The console market which is filled with ps4/x1 which this console will not be as powerful as (if the rumors are true) and a tablet market dominated by ipads and Android tablets.

So this has to essentially convince people why they need a tablet in order to play games when their own tablet does the exact same thing and more and also has a bigger battery life while this tablet is coming from the wiiU and doesn't. What I am trying to say is, Nintendo needs to hit as many major checkboxes as possible and when a device is portable, battery life is a major checkbox. So what do you think will happen when the reviews say the battery life is worse than the wiiU gamepad? That will stickout like a shit stain on a gold trophy.

Nintendo has a lot to prove after the wiiU and if they want to sell close to the wiiU + 3ds sales numbers (assuming they don't have something else in the works apart from a smaller NX), they need to get all aspects of this thing right.

I think of completely different actually, among other issues the NS is the solution to Nintendo competing with themselves, how they have two separate systems even though the reason to own either is exactly the same, for the Nintendo games. That's also what's always seperated them from the competition, and besides playing home console quality games anywhere, that's still the case with the NS. I mean I'm not really sure what else they could do to give more reason to own it over the competition. Nintendo games are the only reason I need!

But anywho I think the correct thing to say here is that the gimmick is good but the execution could be bad. Let's hope it's good!

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yes... If this thing is successful... Its coming from the wiiU to compete with two markets (console/tablet) both of which are highly competitive...

It needs to be successful first and in order to do that, it needs to hit all those checkboxes to have the best chance. Battery life is a big checkbox if the device is portable.

I don't think any of that will matter. The markets are competitive, but the Switch is coming at both from the side.

It doesn't need to hit all of the boxes to have the best chance. It just needs to hit most of them. 3 hour battery life will just create demand for accessories to remedy it. If the Switch fails because of batteries, it had far bigger issues than just battery life.

If everything about the Switch is awesome but the batteries, the Switch is going to absolutely going to wreck the console scene, only now with an external battery pack attatched.

Yes but it is coming at a disadvantage of being new and coming from a product line that didn't sell well.

Yes and it is already feels like it is missing a few other checkboxes... Like western third party support. They showed Skyrim for gods sake and Bathesda is saying they might if it is as powerful as the x1. And Red Dead is no where in sight.

But everything in switch won't be awesome in the respective markets it is launching in. As a console, it is under-powered and most likely will lack western third party support, as a tablet, it won't have the functionality or the marketing as its competitors do. Its main selling point is that it can do both but if it lacks battery, suddenly that hinders its portability.

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

3 hours makes sense though for anyone who's research the Tegra X1 chips ... it consumes 10 watts just for the GPU when running full tilt. 

Even the largest tablet battery would die in about 3 hours with that chip being pushed hard. The iPad Pro, the massive 12-inch Apple tablet has a 38.8 wH (watt hour battery), that means if a chip + LCD screen + RAM are consuming say 12-13 watts, such a battery would be dead in about 3 hours. 

There's no ifs, ands, or buts about this either or some magic Nintendo technology to change it, portable electronics are tightly constrained by battery technology. 

Yes but this is a custom version with their latest Pascal which has made massive improvements to performance/watt. They were able to fit desktop GPUs inside the same laptops that only had the mobile varients last generation. Just to put it in prespective, a 980M is not even as fast as a Desktop 970 last generation. But the 1080 inside the same laptops that have a 980M are faster than 2 Desktop 970s combined. If that isn't stupid amounts of efficiency gains, idk what is.

Yes but that also has a larger screen, higher resolution, stuff like cameras, better display, NVMe storage and much more than what the NS will have.

Not saying Nintendo but Nvidia. Nvidia engineers aren't exactly the same as Nintendo engineers and this is Nvidia's wet dream. They have been wanting someone to take their technology and popularize it since forever but no one does due to a wide amount of reasons. Not saying that it will certainly result in them having success but it is the best chance they got.