By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch... the gimmick is not bad.

agree because _____ 52 65.82%

disagree because _____ 27 34.18%

Total:79

Ive been saying the same thing since the reveal. No more gameplay gimmicks. Mos def a good thing.

Around the Network

Something I haven't heard people consider, is the possibility of after market (larger) Joy-Con controllers.

Captain_Yuri said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I think of completely different actually, among other issues the NS is the solution to Nintendo competing with themselves, how they have two separate systems even though the reason to own either is exactly the same, for the Nintendo games. That's also what's always seperated them from the competition, and besides playing home console quality games anywhere, that's still the case with the NS. I mean I'm not really sure what else they could do to give more reason to own it over the competition. Nintendo games are the only reason I need!

But anywho I think the correct thing to say here is that the gimmick is good but the execution could be bad. Let's hope it's good!

3 hour battery isn't what I would call "being able to play anywhere". Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I will skip it if the battery life is bad cause the trailer 110% sold me on it. I am just wondering that the people this is targeting who are the causal market is going to percieve it when the negatives of the reviews come out. 

Yes, it has Nintendo games and they are great! Its why I buy Nintendo games but its hard to deny that (provided they don't have something else in the works other than a smaller version), if it doesn't sell close to wiiU + 3ds numbers, it won't exactly be seen as a great success. Having a good battery life just ensures that it has a better chance to achieve that success.

But I will say that I do agree with your statement about the gimmick is good and execution is bad. And yea, lets hope so!

Technically you can still play anywhere, just not for more than 3 hours. :L

I actually think casuals would maybe mind the battery less than us hardcores since I imagine they play in short burst more often, like 30m Mario Kart here n there, but yeah I have no idea. I probably shouldn't be generalising like that, a game like Animal Crossing can easily be played for hours no matter who you are afterall. If 3 hours really is the limit, we'll just have to wait and see how that affects sales if at all. I only know that's just barely acceptable to me and I'm hoping for better battery sold separately or a remodel soon.

I think that most of your are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Nintendo specifically said that this is a home gaming console first and foremost, with the mobility of a handheld as a feature (the gimmick). That's not reading between the lines - that is direct from their press release.

This console is meant to be plugged in most of the time, and battery life won't be as good as a portable device.

They will most likely release a smaller, portable version that will have a longer battery life in the future (as a replacement to the 3DS). They cannot do that right now, because the 3DS is the only platform that is still making them money. If they killed off the 3DS now, and the NS doesn't sell, then they would have a cash flow crisis. That is a risk that I think no one at Nintendo wants to take.

Nintendo also needs to sell this device for $199, and they cannot do that if they were to use the best CPU / GPU / battery. As many you have mentioned, they can always sell you an official battery pack accessory to make it more portable.

you're wrong because Nintendo can do no right and only do terrible gimmicks! rawr

only complaint i have atm is the small joy-con controllers

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
you're wrong because Nintendo can do no right and only do terrible gimmicks! rawr

only complaint i have atm is the small joy-con controllers

You can use a pro controller though

I agree. Because it is not forced gimmick like Wii and Wii U had. If you want you can still play on Switch as on a traditional home console

The Wii Remotes were by very nature not a gimmick because they were essential to the core functions of the system. There would have been no Wii without them. To answer the question, no I'm not really convinced by the useability or necessity of this new system's array of gimmicks.

derpysquirtle64 said:
I agree. Because it is not forced gimmick like Wii and Wii U had. If you want you can still play on Switch as on a traditional home console

Definitely my favorite part of the whole thing. Every Nintendo game with traditional controls is finally back

the gimmick is old. Its pretty much the same as Nvidia Shield tablet or Oyua console. Trying to make aaa gaming possible on an modern ARM cpu.