By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch... the gimmick is not bad.

agree because _____ 52 65.82%

disagree because _____ 27 34.18%

Total:79

People don't seem to understand the definition of the word gimmick...

Around the Network

I friggin' LOVE what Nintendo is doing with the Switch! But I'm an old hardcore handheld gamer who is very very sad that those devices are dying a slow and painful death. The Switch could bring back real gaming on the go, screw those silly mobile games! (except the Britney Spears Game =D)

I really don't care too much about sales. Vita sold like shit, I had a ton of fun with it. Same with the Wii U. I'm sure I'll also have loads of fun with the Switch, no matter how many units are sold.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yes but it is coming at a disadvantage of being new and coming from a product line that didn't sell well.

Yes and it is already feels like it is missing a few other checkboxes... Like western third party support. They showed Skyrim for gods sake and Bathesda is saying they might if it is as powerful as the x1. And Red Dead is no where in sight.

But everything in switch won't be awesome in the respective markets it is launching in. As a console, it is under-powered and most likely will lack western third party support, as a tablet, it won't have the functionality or the marketing as its competitors do. Its main selling point is that it can do both but if it lacks battery, suddenly that hinders its portability.

And so did the Wii.

There's literally no way you can know if its missing western 3rd party support yet. What we do know is that Nintendo somehow convinced Bethesda of all publishers to make something for them when they've been notoriously and vocally against supporting Nintendo specifically because of their terrible third party communication. The fact that Skyrim appeared in that trailer is symbolic of the fact that something about that changed. Skyrim could have ran on the Wii U too, but Bethesda didn't so much as give it a second look. Something is clearly different here. And while I agree that Skyrim is a 5 year old game, it is also far and away Bethesda's most recognized game, and it's getting a remaster this year, and this teaser was very clearly targeted at people who aren't gaming enthusiasts who recognise something like Fallout 4 just as easy as Skyrim.

It's far too early to make a claim like that yet. And don't be mistaken, I'm skeptical too. But there's being skeptical and there's being overly cynical. I think that you are going to see a lot of developers taking a "wait and see" approach on the Switch before moving to support it. I think that they are looking keenly on what type of audience the Switch garners and if that audience will be interested in buying their games. I think the Switch has a year to prove it to them, and I think that a year is more than enough to do so. I also think that the teaser is very clearly marketing to the kinds of people who will want to buy western third party games like that, which is a good sign of things to come. I think Nintendo can very easily mess up third party support, but nothing in that teaser or in the press releases since have indicated that they are on the wrong track yet. So far, they have been doing everything right, so it's unfair (though understandable) to project wrong doing onto the system.

That last paragraph is something I might want to write an entire article about, because there is a rampant misunderstanding of what the Switch is trying to be. The Switch is not a hybrid, and I don't think it is being marketed or interpreted by the mainstream like one. The Switch is to consoles what a laptop is to a desktop. Or maybe a "lap-tablet" is more accurate. No one scoffs at laptops for being too weak because most people are not tech enthusiasts or professionals. They value convenience over power. The Switch isn't under-powered in the same way that the Vita isn't. It's a different bracket of devices. People buying a Switch aren't going to care about the power difference because the flexibily, utility, and convenience it offers far surpasses what can be achieved on a regular console. Most normal people value experience over performance, so if the Switch can deliver many of their favorite multi-platform games at a good enough clip, that's going to be an extremely tempting value proposition for them.

Very few people buy new desktop computers anymore. Most people use laptops, and that's indicative of all tech trends. The vast majority of people only use their laptops for social media and microsoft word, and the vast majority of people who game on consoles only buy a few games a year - many of those games being sports games/online multiplayer shooters. For those people, having bleeding edge performance just isn't as valuable to them as it is to gaming enthusiasts. I'm sitting on my bed right now typing this on my 5 year old Macbook that is resting on my lap, and there's literally nothing you could do to tell me that a more powerful desktop computer at roughly the same price is a better value, because the experience is catagorically inferior. I think that the same argument is being made with the Switch.

"Why would you want to limit yourself to playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare only on your TV when you can play it comfortably on your lap, and even take it to work with you to play on your lunch breaks?"

There is a compelling argument to be made that that is the superior experience, and you aren't forfeiting very much to get there. We all know that the graphical leap between this generation and the last one hasn't been that large, and we also know that most games that have been made this generation could easily have been made on last generation hardware, but at a lower clip. And games last generation weren't ugly. That's when games were actually starting to look good. If the Switch is truly between the Wii U and XBO in terms of power, it's going to get perfectly fine looking and running ports of games. They will be inferior, but that won't matter literally at all because no one buying a Switch values power over utility. No one but maybe Nintendo enthusiasts who buy it for the exclusives. But, if this thing is going to be successful, it going to be because normal people are going to look at Switch versions of multiplatform games as the superier versions of those games. Watching Youtube on a desktop is a vastly inferior experience to watching it on a weaker laptop, and I think that for a lot of people, playing a game like Madden on a console will be an inferior experience to playing it on whatever the hell you call the Switch for the exact same reasons.

I think that home consoles will be machines for enthusiasts while the chain of portable consoles that the Switch is will before everyone else. And the industry is mostly everyone else, so this is a very good idea.

It's beautiful to see well ritten posts like this on VGC! Good arguments too, especially about Skrim and Bethesda's choice of game. Now it's firm that Skrim remastered will be on Switch.

I also agree with the argument about (lack of) power. The Switch is such a slick, smooth and convenient device as a hybrid that it doesn't have to compete directly with PS4 in hardware computation power. This is a widespread misunderstanding even among Nintendo fans.

The writing is already on the wall, the Switch will be a huge success.

Einsam_Delphin said:
pokoko said:
I don't understand. I'm quite certain numerous groups of trendy young adults all over the world are going to huddle around tiny screens playing multi-player with tiny controllers.

The gimmick not being used doesn't mean it's bad, if that's what you're getting at. I say it's a positive that the gimmick is entirely optional.

I didn't say anything like that.  I was making a joke about someone thinking this is enough of a feature that it's played up big in the video.  As gimmicks go, this is something you can ignore so it's probably not much of a negative unless it adds significant cost or makes it more failure prone.  As it is, I think it's something most people will use a couple of times in the first week then forget about, so it's fine.

onionberry said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I think its too soon to call it "good or bad."

The reason is battery life.

If the battery life is poor (3 hours) than the gimmick is bad. Because at they point, its not very portable and they should have just made it an actual console. Cause what that would do is let us have more power with an arch that is exactly like the other two and perhaps a Bluray player which would make it easier for third parties to port games as well as other benefits.

Now I know that with western third parties, we won't know whether or not that is the reason that will make them port game to the NS but it would have certainly given them less excuses...

If the battery life is good (5+ hours) then I agree, the gimmick this time around isn't bad at all.

I'm not too worried about the battery life because there are going to be third party batteries or even from Nintendo like the high capacity battery. But hopefully the one that comes with the console is good enough. Anyways, it's good that the game design is not going to be affected by their needs of being creative.

But isn't that a problem for the casuals?  They like having things fixed for themselves and it probably won't even register in their minds that this is an option.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

What gimmick? I swear people on internet has no fucking clue about what a gimmick is, since when portability has been a gimmick? Is ridiculous honestly.

Slimebeast said:

It's beautiful to see well ritten posts like this on VGC! Good arguments too, especially about Skrim and Bethesda's choice of game. Now it's firm that Skrim remastered will be on Switch.

I also agree with the argument about (lack of) power. The Switch is such a slick, smooth and convenient device as a hybrid that it doesn't have to compete directly with PS4 in hardware computation power. This is a widespread misunderstanding even among Nintendo fans.

The writing is already on the wall, the Switch will be a huge success.

Thanks! And I just want to be clear, I actually agree with most of what J Beard (may herest in peace) was saying personally. What I was arguing was more that there is a lot more hope than what he was saying. So say that I am extremely skeptical of the Switch would be an extreme understatement, but I think that what they've shown so far shows an extreme sence of "we get it" that warrents them the benefit of the doubt.

Asedebck said:
the gimmick is old. Its pretty much the same as Nvidia Shield tablet or Oyua console. Trying to make aaa gaming possible on an modern ARM cpu.

Agree.  It's not groundbreaking and Nintendo is going to put an extreme premium on the NS's portability the same way they put an extreme preimium on the gamepad tablet with the Wii U.  What I worry about is that it's going to chase away a lot of potential buyers if they don't price the NS well.

PwerlvlAmy said:
you're wrong because Nintendo can do no right and only do terrible gimmicks! rawr

only complaint i have atm is the small joy-con controllers

Yeah I'm not going to use those little shits lol, but hey, maybe there's some ergonomic magic

Vinther1991 said:
People don't seem to understand the definition of the word gimmick...
"a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."