By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch... the gimmick is not bad.

agree because _____ 52 65.82%

disagree because _____ 27 34.18%

Total:79
KLXVER said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
you're wrong because Nintendo can do no right and only do terrible gimmicks! rawr

only complaint i have atm is the small joy-con controllers

You can use a pro controller though

pro controller looks pretty good

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
onionberry said:

it's a functionality, and not a gaming for game design. I can connect my laptop to my tv, is that a gimmick too?

I'm not sure what you mean by "gaming for game design."  Did the manufacturer of your laptop advertise that funtion heavily as one of the primary features in order to sell more units even though it's not one of the core functions?  Then, yes, it's a gimmick.

So what?

The word gimmick has become such a buzzword lol.

Gimmick isn't an inherently negative term but sadly people only seem to use it negatively. Personally, I think we need to learn more about the Switch before we can come to both positive or negative conclusions. The people already claiming it's gonna fail need to just let more news develop so we can breathe and observe the console. But there's nothing wrong with discussion or predictions discussing the console of course.

Evatallica said:

Gimmick isn't an inherently negative term but sadly people only seem to use it negatively. Personally, I think we need to learn more about the Switch before we can come to both positive or negative conclusions. The people already claiming it's gonna fail need to just let more news develop so we can breathe and observe the console. But there's nothing wrong with discussion or predictions discussing the console of course.

On these forums, at least, refering to something as a gimmick is akin to insulting a family member.  It doesn't make any sense, considering "gimmick" doesn't refer to value. 

"[In response to being asked if his band does gimmicks] Gimmicks, here we go again, gimmicks man, I'm tired of people saying we're.... gimmicks, what is this? The world is nothing but a big gimmick, isn't it? Wars, napalm bombs, all that, people getting burned up on tv and it's nothing but a stunt. Gimmick. Yes, we do."

-- Jimi Hendrix

pokoko said:
Evatallica said:

On these forums, at least, refering to something as a gimmick is akin to insulting a family member.  It doesn't make any sense, considering "gimmick" doesn't refer to value. 

"[In response to being asked if his band does gimmicks] Gimmicks, here we go again, gimmicks man, I'm tired of people saying we're.... gimmicks, what is this? The world is nothing but a big gimmick, isn't it? Wars, napalm bombs, all that, people getting burned up on tv and it's nothing but a stunt. Gimmick. Yes, we do."

-- Jimi Hendrix

Seeing that amazing quote made me remember that I was supposed to finally check out Jimi Hendrix's discography. 

Thank you for that.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
onionberry said:

it's a functionality, and not a gaming for game design. I can connect my laptop to my tv, is that a gimmick too?

I'm not sure what you mean by "gaming for game design."  Did the manufacturer of your laptop advertise that funtion heavily as one of the primary features in order to sell more units even though it's not one of the core functions?  Then, yes, it's a gimmick.

So what?

sorry, gimmick for game design :p

pokoko said:
Evatallica said:

Maybe because is intentionally used with that negative connotation like 9 out 10 times?

I agree, though there are still things I am uncertain about..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Where is the gimmick again? There is nothing new or unwieldy about this tablet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.