By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears Of War 4 Review Thread - 85 MC

Veknoid_Outcast said:
LivingMetal said:
This is still good for Gears. In fact, I've always though Gears was better when compared to Halo in regards to Xbox exclusives.

I'd say they were on the same level from 2006-2010. Starting in 2011, though, Gears has dominated Halo. The fourth and fifth installments of Halo are pedestrian. Gears 4 is as good as ever and, in some areas, better.

I have a lot more faith in Gears than I do Halo moving forward.

I feel like Gears has heart.  It was designed as a game for gamers.  Halo = hype = massess.  Yeah, Halo is for pansies.  I said it.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd say they were on the same level from 2006-2010. Starting in 2011, though, Gears has dominated Halo. The fourth and fifth installments of Halo are pedestrian. Gears 4 is as good as ever and, in some areas, better.

I feel like Gears has heart.  It was designed as a game for gamers.  Halo = hype = massess.  Yeah, Halo is for pansies.  I said it.

Them's fighting words

I'll be happy to join you in deriding 343 for its handling of Halo, but will fight tooth and nail to defend the Bungie era

Goatseye said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well, that's because Halo dev mantle was completely changed, meanhwhile Gears retained the guy that oversaw everything from 1-3.

Too true. I don't think we should underestimate Fergusson's importance to the success of Gears 4. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:
LivingMetal said:

Them's fighting words

I'll be happy to join you in deriding 343 for its handling of Halo, but will fight tooth and nail to defend the Bungie era

Bungie was awesome during the Marathon and Myth days.  If one hasn't has those experiences, then they don't know what it means to truly enjoy a Bungie game.

CGI-Quality said:
The system is a marvel, guys! Certainly one of the best looking LE Consoles around!

Congratz, 

It looks awesome. 

Around the Network

It looks great and it's overall getting good reviews. I'm a bit disappointed in the criticisms towards the campaign, as it's my main draw, but gameplay looks as solid as ever. I'll definitively pick it up down the line.

Seems everyone is complaining about the campaign. This is not what I wanted to hear but the second thry announced the game with the lame gotg looking characters I knew it would be bland.

Hope they work hard on the sequel or reboot the series for the next release.

Swordmasterman said:
Eikichi134 said:
It's 83 out of 29 reviews now. Seems like the sequels get progressively "worse" (scores are great but not when you compare them with the rest of the series), I feel this will be the case with the other GOW as well although it did look way different than the past games.

When the game is a sequel, it has more expectations. Because of that, it is hard to score higher than before.

Yeah I know that's the case for almost all sequels and since this is a major videogame sequel it is going to get more reviews that will impact the final score on meta. Still 85 is great, just shy of the 90's the series used to get. Maybe Judgement hurt GOW in the eyes of some.

I would be all over the thing if they ever do a prequel trilogy involving the Pendulum Wars.

I'm pretty happy with what I see from the reviews so far. This game will suffer from being the fifth installment in the series, but in actuality this is the first outing by a new AAA studio. It's also suffers from having to spread it's resource into three group Campaign, Multiplayer and Horde mode. To any reviewers or players that review or intend to play base solely on the campaign expect to be somewhat disappointed. It's to be expect that there will be problem in pacing and general storytelling from a new AAA studio. Hopefully, this is something that will improves with next installments. The team at coalition should be proud of themselves and achieving a metacritic score around 85 is an accomplishment. ***It's b*llsh!t that I have to wait until October 11th when ultimate edition get it 4 days early***