By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mods and 4K Coming to PlayStation 4 for Skyrim and Fallout 4

SvennoJ said:
CGI-Quality said:

4K versions of said screenshots:

Those are bullshots surely? PC renders?
In only 5 years it went from looking like this on ps3 to that?!

Hardly bullshots. From what I have seen, it's more or less the HD textures they added to the PC version with a lighting engine overhaul, likely derived from the Fallout 4 iteration of the engine. I mean, it's still not as impressive as what you can get on PC with one of the good texture mods and a lighting enhancing ENB.  Looks good but not fantastic.  And yeah, the console vanilla versions have aged horribly.

Around the Network

I'd be patient. They also said that mods were going to be on Fallout 4 shortly after the Xbox One version. Still hasn't happened. I wouldn't buy Skyrim on launch until its guaranteed that mods are happening.

Nuvendil said:

Hardly bullshots. From what I have seen, it's more or less the HD textures they added to the PC version with a lighting engine overhaul, likely derived from the Fallout 4 iteration of the engine. I mean, it's still not as impressive as what you can get on PC with one of the good texture mods and a lighting enhancing ENB.  Looks good but not fantastic.  And yeah, the console vanilla versions have aged horribly.

And those were simply presented as the 4k Ps4 Pro impementation.  With non-external-asset mods allowed,
lighting enhancement mods, and other graphics tweaks should certainly be plausible for PS4/Pro as well.

Radek said:

Looks like XBOX UK will have to alter their tweets with "mod support" and "HDR gaming" as selling points, since PS4 has them both now, and you don't even need Slim to use HDR either.

Except those still are selling points and true, even if "and Playstation doesn't have them" is no longer accurate to read into them.
And apparently Xbone will continue having more liberal policiy re: mods using external assets.

Good news for PS4 fans.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

Regardless of the fact it undoubtedly can look better on PC, this should put an end to lazy remasters and diminshing returns rhetoric. The big question is, does it run at over 15fps :) Skyrim on ps3 was hardcore 50 hours in, I was never able to ride a horse on the ps3 version, stutter and die. Still finished it, autosave disabled, avoid making a mess anywhere, restart the game every 15-20 minutes, good old Bethesda days.

vivster said:
I think this was less on Bethesda's part and more Sony caving in after negative backlash.

Bethesda clearly has changed their position significantly, which was basically "it should work like it does on PC".  
How has Sony changed their moderation system?  

pokoko said:
Bethesda really should not have come out with that first statement, not if they were still working on a solution.
Kind of unprofessional, as it made consumers think there was no hope. 

Agreed, it sounded like immature self-righteous fan boy whining.

pokoko said:
"You'll also be able to create your own mods with packed in assets, but external assests will not be allowed." Typo aside, that's pretty interesting. Makes me wonder if a lot of this wasn't over legal issues and modders ripping assets from other games and IP. 

Sure, but I'm not sure why anybody could have ever expected otherwise.  
Why should some content in mods be exempt from assessment, while others are subject to Sony's pre-approval?
If mods can bypass the system, then the system isn't worth anything, since you can implement any banned game as a mod.
Bethesda's first statement was basically just arrogantly ignoring the parameters of existing system.

BTW, I love a previous posters' need to specify "the top 20 non-adult mods" re: non-new-asset mods boosting GFX/changing game rules.
Obviously, Sony might not want all those adult mods which would normally place in top 20, to be on their own system.

vivster said:
I think this was less on Bethesda's part and more Sony caving in after negative backlash.

When producers compete, consumers win.

mutantsushi said:
Nuvendil said:

And those were simply presented as the 4k Ps4 Pro impementation.  With non-external-asset mods allowed,
lighting enhancement mods, and other graphics tweaks should certainly be plausible for PS4/Pro as well.

Unfortunately, nearly all lighting mods from IMAGINATOR to ENBs use the SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) which cannot be used on consoles because 1) console versions are always more locked down and 2) the SKSE is a special executable that launches Skyrim with SKSE active and since consoles always use the standard file to launch the game, the SKSE is unusable anyway.

I can't be sure, but I think that also eliminates Climates of Tamriel, an excellent and popular weather enhancing mod.  But even if it doesn't, the fact you can use no external assets at all will if that line means what I think it means, since Climates of Tamriel uses original assets created by the author.  So no, the game will pretty much look exactly the same indefinitely. 

That's not to say no good mods can be made with these restrictions, there can be.  There are some good quest mods and such that use all in-engine assets.  But it eliminates a lot of things.  Frankly, Sony or Bethesda should just spine up and actually, you know, moderate the freaking mod hosting site for the PS4.  That way there's more variety but little or no theft of assets.