By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mods and 4K Coming to PlayStation 4 for Skyrim and Fallout 4

mutantsushi said:
pokoko said:
Bethesda really should not have come out with that first statement, not if they were still working on a solution.
Kind of unprofessional, as it made consumers think there was no hope. 

Agreed, it sounded like immature self-righteous fan boy whining.

pokoko said:
"You'll also be able to create your own mods with packed in assets, but external assests will not be allowed." Typo aside, that's pretty interesting. Makes me wonder if a lot of this wasn't over legal issues and modders ripping assets from other games and IP. 

Sure, but I'm not sure why anybody could have ever expected otherwise.  
Why should some content in mods be exempt from assessment, while others are subject to Sony's pre-approval?
If mods can bypass the system, then the system isn't worth anything, since you can implement any banned game as a mod.
Bethesda's first statement was basically just arrogantly ignoring the parameters of existing system.

BTW, I love a previous posters' need to specify "the top 20 non-adult mods" re: non-new-asset mods boosting GFX/changing game rules.
Obviously, Sony might not want all those adult mods which would normally place in top 20, to be on their own system.

Actually, there are no adult content mods in the top 20 all time mods.  The vast majority are UI overhauls, graphical and evenironmental overhauls, mechanical overhauls, etc.  In fact, there aren't any in the top 30.  Also, nearly all graphical overhauls use non-native assets

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
pokoko said:
Bethesda really should not have come out with that first statement, not if they were still working on a solution. Kind of unprofessional, as it made consumers think there was no hope.

"You'll also be able to create your own mods with packed in assets, but external assests will not be allowed." Typo aside, that's pretty interesting. Makes me wonder if a lot of this wasn't over legal issues and modders ripping assets from other games and IP.

As for the impact, most of the important game-play mods will be unaffected. I'm guessing some visual enhancements, new weapons, and new costumes would be barred on PS4. That's kind of disappointing but at least the really important mods will be available.

Sony clearly wanted to keep it a closed system and Bethesda just wanted to open it up to the internet. I'm glad Sony stood there ground. I think people will still get those mods but they'll come as official QCed patches instead.

No offense, but what possible reason could anyone have to be glad Sony is blocking custom assets from mods? It means less mods and less impressive mods for gamers. What a bizarre thing to say.

I couldn't give a rats about the mods but I'm delighted this is getting ps4 pro support. Happy for Skyrim fans too but I'll not be buying that.

I plan on getting fallout 4 complete edition, cheap on sale next summer. I'll be getting a 4k TV next year too so it's great to hear it will be in 4k.

I wonder if they'll ofter a 1080p mode with improved graphics for the Pro too. That would be nice too.

Regarding the mods, hopefully they'll have some level of quality control now. I hope Sony didn't give in.

"We expect Fallout 4 to take advantage of the PS4 Pro in 4k along with enhanced lighting and graphics features"

YES!!!!!!!

Now I'm not sure if the enhanced lighting and graphics are with the 4k version or if they'll be with a separate 1080p mode but that's what I wanted to hear. Ps4 pro hype rising!

Kerotan said:
Regarding the mods, hopefully they'll have some level of quality control now. I hope Sony didn't give in.

There is no need for Bethesda to QC. If anything there's even less reason for them to do so on PS4 than the other platforms because the PS4 version can only have assets already in the game.

By Sony "not giving in" PS4 owners just get less mod options. Not sure why people keep saying they are happy Sony is limiting what they can experience as gamers lol.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Kerotan said:

There is no need for Bethesda to QC. If anything there's even less reason for them to do so on PS4 than the other platforms because the PS4 version can only have assets already in the game.

By Sony "not giving in" PS4 owners just get less mod options. Not sure why people keep saying they are happy Sony is limiting what they can experience as gamers lol.

Big deal.  If you want an unlimited experience spend $5000 on an insanely powerful pc.  

By ensuring the assets must come from the game they are ensuring a certain level of quality control.  Good I say.  

Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Big deal.  If you want an unlimited experience spend $5000 on an insanely powerful pc.  

By ensuring the assets must come from the game they are ensuring a certain level of quality control.  Good I say.  

LOL @ $5,000 PC. Just showing your ignorance in regards to PC gaming and mods.

You just said you don't give a rats ass about the mods. So why would you be glad they are neutering what people can do with them?

And no, they aren't ensuring any level of quality control. We gamers will still be their QC. We just have a lot less potential to work with. But hey that's a good thing I guess, lol. Not going to respond again, just wanted to see why someone would openly root for something like this. Got the answer I expected.

Hot damn... And I wasn't going to get the pro...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Kerotan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Mods already have quality control. It's called the internet.

Disappointing that external assets are not allowed... Almost defeats the purpose.