By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mods and 4K Coming to PlayStation 4 for Skyrim and Fallout 4

CGI-Quality said:
Kerotan said:

Big deal.  If you want an unlimited experience spend $5000 on an insanely powerful pc.  

From experience, this is hardly unlimited!

I know right.  And yet LudicrousSpeed still replied loling at such a high figure.  We're talking unlimited here hence why I went for a high number.  But you're right.  If you really want an unlimited mod experience you're going to be spending a whole lot more. 

Personally I'm very happy with the out come of this. I don't want the ps4 infested with mods from the pc that many will fuck up the game or possibly lead to exploits within your system.  That's the last thing i want to hear.  

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
CGI-Quality said:

From experience, this is hardly unlimited!

I know right.  And yet LudicrousSpeed still replied loling at such a high figure.  We're talking unlimited here hence why I went for a high number.  But you're right.  If you really want an unlimited mod experience you're going to be spending a whole lot more. 

Personally I'm very happy with the out come of this. I don't want the ps4 infested with mods from the pc that many will fuck up the game or possibly lead to exploits within your system.  That's the last thing i want to hear.  

I mean, with regards to mods you are really spouting complete nonsense.  Yes, you need a high end PC to get Skyrim up to ludicrous graphics but you do NOT need one to have better textures, lighting, UI, loads of new weapons, unique designs for all unique items in the game, improved armor textures, new quests, unofficial expansions, mechanical overhauls, and even a whole free new game via Total Conversions.  I mean, I have all of those things on my laptop that cost me a bit over a grand when I bought it years ago. 

And as for quality control, if Bethesda and Sony would just learn from Nexus, this would not be an issue.  Nexus promptly removes dangerous files that are reported, has an endorsement system and strong search functions to ensure crap quality mods are burried and good ones rise to the top, and loads of tools and tutorials for those getting into modding. In short, this idea that the modding scene is 90% nudity, exploits, and unoptimized graphical improvements is highly out of touch.  The reality is there are tons and tons of mods that do lots of cool things and add tons of content.

And btw, if anything these restrictions will make exploit mods and crap mods MORE prevelant since there's no chance whatsoever of the top-tier work that currently makes up the backbone of Skyrim's modding scene to even make it to the PS4, while exploits are easily created without any in-engine content and other useless things like recolors are similarly easy for any chucklehead to churn out. 

Seriously, do research into the *real* modding scene before saying stuff like this.  Go to Moddb or better yet search Skyrim Nexus.  There's a huge ammount of creativity and craftsmanship on display, a large portion of which will never get to PS4 because of Sony and Bethesda's unwillingness to properly moderate.

No, I laughed at the idea that you need a $5,000 PC to experience the full offering of mods for Fallout 4.

Also, you don't need to go to such extremes to make a point, unless your argument is just that weak. Which it is, of course. You can experience great mods with custom content AND not have a super expensive PC. Hell, you can experience great custom mods and not even own a PC. I hope that helps :)

KLAMarine said:
Kerotan said:

Big deal.  If you want an unlimited experience spend $5000 on an insanely powerful pc.  

By ensuring the assets must come from the game they are ensuring a certain level of quality control.  Good I say.  

Mods already have quality control. It's called the internet.

This discussion really makes it clear who knows anything about mods and who doesn't. LOL @ quality control.

Guitarguy said:
Disappointing that external assets are not allowed... Almost defeats the purpose.

It really does. I'm still switching platforms for Fallout 4 when the GOTY edition comes out, but I'm interested in seeing what people make without more options.

To make my point of this being an enormous restriction, let me just list out the top 30 most endorsed - so the highest quality voted by users - mods on Nexus and which ones will show up.

SkyUI: No, needs SKSE and external assets
A Quality World Map: No, needs external assets
Immersive Armors: probably not, uses internal assets to create "new" assets and likely won't be allowed
Unofficial Skyrim Patch: not sure
Appachii SkyHair: No, needs external assets
Skyrim HD 2k: No, needs external assets
Immersive Weapons: No, needs  external assets
Enhnced Blood Texture: No, needs external assets
RaceMenu: No
Climates of Tamriel: No, uses external assets
Cloaks of Skyrim: No, uses external assets
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch: not sure
Alternate Start: maybe
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch: not sure
Static Mesh Improvement: no, uses external assets
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch: not sure
Realistic Ragdolls: no, uses external assets
Skyrim Flora Overhaul: no, uses external assets
Enhanced Lights and FX: no, uses external assets
Ultimate Follower Overhaul: no, uses SKSE
Wet and Cold: probably not, I think it uses external assets and some features need SKSE, but a limited version might show up
Realvission ENB: nope, and that goes for all ENBs
Frostfall: nope, uses SKSE and SkyUI
Convenient Horses: nope, uses SKSE
Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux: nope, uses external assets
The Eyes of Beauty: nope, uses external assets
Falskaar: no, uses external assets
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim: Yes
Immersive HUD: probably not
Amazing Follower Tweaks: Yes

So of the top 30, exactly 2 are guaranteed to be possible.  Two out of thirty.  And some of these are massive misses.  Skyrim Flora Overhaul greatly enhances flora variance while enhancing rather than conflicting with Skyrim's art direction.  Falskaar is an expansion sized mod with new land, NPCs, voice acting, the works and is excellently crafted.  Oh and that's another thing: if sound files are blocked, you can't even do quests that need voice acting! 

But yeah, the file size restrictions and lack of SKSE were bad enough, but with external assets blocked you lose out on the best work. 

Around the Network

All the drama for nothing. ^^ Skyrim looks awesome in 4k!

Nuvendil said:
mutantsushi said:

Agreed, it sounded like immature self-righteous fan boy whining.

Sure, but I'm not sure why anybody could have ever expected otherwise.  
Why should some content in mods be exempt from assessment, while others are subject to Sony's pre-approval?
If mods can bypass the system, then the system isn't worth anything, since you can implement any banned game as a mod.
Bethesda's first statement was basically just arrogantly ignoring the parameters of existing system.

BTW, I love a previous posters' need to specify "the top 20 non-adult mods" re: non-new-asset mods boosting GFX/changing game rules.
Obviously, Sony might not want all those adult mods which would normally place in top 20, to be on their own system.

Actually, there are no adult content mods in the top 20 all time mods.  The vast majority are UI overhauls, graphical and evenironmental overhauls, mechanical overhauls, etc.  In fact, there aren't any in the top 30.  Also, nearly all graphical overhauls use non-native assets

That's not true, either for Skyrim or Fallout games.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the most endorsed Fallout 4 mod is marked as Adult.

pokoko said:
Nuvendil said:

Actually, there are no adult content mods in the top 20 all time mods.  The vast majority are UI overhauls, graphical and evenironmental overhauls, mechanical overhauls, etc.  In fact, there aren't any in the top 30.  Also, nearly all graphical overhauls use non-native assets

That's not true, either for Skyrim or Fallout games.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the most endorsed Fallout 4 mod is marked as Adult.

My appologies, my preferences weren't updated.  There are 3 or 4 body replacers with nudity options, 3 or 4 out of the top 30.  Still, my point was the majority of popular mods aren't adult mods. 

Nuvendil said:
pokoko said:

My appologies, my preferences weren't updated.  There are 3 or 4 body replacers with nudity options, 3 or 4 out of the top 30.  Still, my point was the majority of popular mods aren't adult mods. 

No problem.  It just struck me as odd.

Also, to be fair, many of those Skyrim mods won't be coming for either console, either because consoles can't run them or because the authors have moved on.  Some of them will probably even be redundant, given the upgrade.

As for Fallout 4, which I am more familiar with, I think the list looks much different.  Many of the mods I really depend on, the mods that affect game-play rather than offer cosmetic changes, they don't bring in any outside assets--or, at least, that's not the main part of the mod.  I see a lot of mods in the Fallout 4 top 30 that should be possible.

The main question is going to be scripts and I'm not sure if anyone has that answer yet.

pokoko said:
Nuvendil said:

No problem.  It just struck me as odd.

Also, to be fair, many of those Skyrim mods won't be coming for either console, either because consoles can't run them or because the authors have moved on.  Some of them will probably even be redundant, given the upgrade.

As for Fallout 4, which I am more familiar with, I think the list looks much different.  Many of the mods I really depend on, the mods that affect game-play rather than offer cosmetic changes, they don't bring in any outside assets--or, at least, that's not the main part of the mod.  I see a lot of mods in the Fallout 4 top 30 that should be possible.

The main question is going to be scripts and I'm not sure if anyone has that answer yet.

Anything using an external Script Extender (SKSE for Skyrim) won't be possible due to the more locked down nature of the console versions and due to the fact you have to use the SKSE to launch the game for it to be active and the consoles can't be made to do that.  So any Fallout 4 mods requiring something similar won't be possible.

As for them not coming for either console, my main point is those aren't even possible.  So even comparables created by new modders won't happen.  And as for them being redundant, if the HD textures BGS is using are the originals put out for PC, I would argue these aren't redundant as the original PC HD textures weren't that impressive.  And of course things like Skyrim Flora Overhaul add new meshes and textures to the game to enhance variety and more fully realize the climate and setting of the game.  And a lot of these mods have a variety of versions to help with performance.

But this might all be moot cause we don't even know if the mods for Skyrim will be compatible with the new remaster.  Which means the enormous library already available won't be there and it will be entirely dependant on new modders and returning veterans.