By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More NX Hybrid + Two console idea confirmation?(video)

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

Relly!? What exactly concept you have on console market when you have one product that gave to you real and full home console experience with full picture on big screen (very possible higher resolution than handheld) and that allows you to play local multiplayer, and that act like real handheld for playing on go!? How exactly is not innovative for instance to have 3DS and Wii U in just one product with one unifed library, and when you dont need to buy seperate handheld and seperate home console, or to play Zelda BotW on go and later you continue playing BotW home on TV!?

If multiply reliable sources saying same thing and in onother hand you don't have anything that say otherwise, than those infos are most likely true, of course nothing is 100% sure until Nintendo says so, but at this point those infos are IMO around 85% true.

You know I can do that very thing with my PS4 and Vita right now. Sure it might not be a function of all games, but I can absolutely play some games on my PS4, save them, download the save to my vita, and keep playing on the go. Many of those games were "cross-buy" so it came with both PS4 and Vita copies of teh game. The only real "innovation" here on the concept would be making such a gameplay option available on all games, and making it less cumbersome.

Yes, that's the point...

I think you guys are far too caught up on the word "innovation." You think it means Nintendo has to do a Wii-like mindscrew and bring something so out of left field that we're left trying to roll up our tongues off of the floor. When Apple "innovated" with the iPhone and iPad, it didn't invent those types of devices; smartphones and tablets already existed. It took existing markets, turned them on their heads, and made such concepts mainstream and indespensible. That's what Nintendo is hoping to do with the NX.

Around the Network

Boogie's word doesn't mean much to me. After all, he's under the impression that Xbox can catch up because of Scorpio.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I am not feeling confident in this video. However, I do want this to be truthful because that would make the console a true hybrid and lord knows I want that far more than I want the claims of Eurogamer. Even if there is only a slight boost in performance (due to cost), I would be far happier than thinking the games will be compromised in making the conversion to the television screen.

I really will settle for a hand held that connects to the television because then I can play Monster Hunter, Bravery, and Pokemon on the big screen. All I really want is to play the extensive 3DS library on a television and if this console gives me that option, I know it will be a success.

If anyone is wondering how a console with this ideology could be successful, there is your answer. Put the 3DS library on TV. Instant buy.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

MY SPECULATION: So the NX is going to be a home console that comes with It's own mini pocket game system. The mini pocket game system is not meant to be a full blown handheld that plays the same cartridge, but a mini portable. Say when you buy your NX console game and load it into the NX, the mini portable gets mini games that directly tie into the main console game. Buy playing the mini games on the go you unlock items to be used in the main game. When you get back home and put the mini pocket unit back in the console it automaticaly updates your NX game with new goodies. No Internet required. So you don't just get one game when you buy an NX cartridge, but several. Later on Nintendo can release a powerful portable system that actually uses the same NX cartridge.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:

MY SPECULATION: So the NX is going to be a home console that comes with It's own mini pocket game system. The mini pocket game system is not meant to be a full blown handheld that plays the same cartridge, but a mini portable. Say when you buy your NX console game and load it into the NX, the mini portable gets mini games that directly tie into the main console game. Buy playing the mini games on the go you unlock items to be used in the main game. When you get back home and put the mini pocket unit back in the console it automaticaly updates your NX game with new goodies. No Internet required. So you don't just get one game when you buy an NX cartridge, but several. Later on Nintendo can release a powerful portable system that actually uses the same NX cartridge.

You are on the good way....  Portable isn't powerful...   It gonna be the come back of GameBoy and share games with the home console,  not having the same games downgrad but a part of the game... 

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:

You basically think that NX is Wii U were just gamepad can be used on go. :)

Eurogamer article and other rumours saying that NX comes with handheld unit that has detachable controls and base unit, so you can use handheld like real handheld on go, or you can ditch controlers from handheld put handheld on base unit (it's assumed that base unit will give more power so game could be played in 1080p on TV compared to 720p on handheld) play on TV and use it like real home console with real controllers that can be used for local multiplayer also. I think that's pretty good and interesting concept.

Like a VMU of Dreamcast, with 50 to 100 GFLOPS.
But it's not the new concept, NX for home will be connected to internet all the day to form a crowd-network, cloud computing Community for the best streaming gaming système ever... Play all NX games with wifi connection.

burninmylight said:
potato_hamster said:

You know I can do that very thing with my PS4 and Vita right now. Sure it might not be a function of all games, but I can absolutely play some games on my PS4, save them, download the save to my vita, and keep playing on the go. Many of those games were "cross-buy" so it came with both PS4 and Vita copies of teh game. The only real "innovation" here on the concept would be making such a gameplay option available on all games, and making it less cumbersome.

Yes, that's the point...

I think you guys are far too caught up on the word "innovation." You think it means Nintendo has to do a Wii-like mindscrew and bring something so out of left field that we're left trying to roll up our tongues off of the floor. When Apple "innovated" with the iPhone and iPad, it didn't invent those types of devices; smartphones and tablets already existed. It took existing markets, turned them on their heads, and made such concepts mainstream and indespensible. That's what Nintendo is hoping to do with the NX.

Again, I never said there was anything wrong with this. I'm not saying that Nintendo should do more, or that their apparent lack of innovation with the NX is a bad thing. There's nothing truly innovative about the PS2 (it had a DVD drive, and could play DVD movies), yet that's the best selling console of all time. You don't need to be truly innovative to have a successful console.

All I was doing was pointing out to those who seem to feel that this concept is a genius, original, game changing idea that this concept has been done before, and done recently (similar to how Apple fans can act when an iPhone gets a feature Android has had for years). I have no doubt that Nintendo will execute it better than the Vita/PS4 combo because frankly it isn't very good, because exchanging saved data is a cumbersome mess (Why Sony doesn't leverage the fact that both of my devices are on wi-fi and allow for automatic synching of saved games found on both my PS4 and Vita is beyond me). But, it's a fine proof of concept. It is absolutely critical that if Nintendo attempts to execute this concept as its core console selling point that the entire experience be seemless.

Miyamotoo said:
JustBeingReal said:
So Boogie's saying it has 2 units, it's got a handheld part and a console unit, with two separate units, but that both work together, he's not saying it's a tablet which houses all of the processing tech and that the console is just a dock that functions as a dummy unit which only transports the game your playing to the TV.

If the handheld was the center of the system then it could play the full game anywhere using only it's own processing tech, it wouldn't need the console to be complete.

This isn't a single unit that functions like a hybrid, it's a console and a handheld you buy in the same box at the shop and you have everything, Nintendo can use one complete system with these two units to sell the future of their handheld and console games to a single audience.
The beauty of this is that you don't have the limitations of a small tablet form factor, but you can play everything that Nintendo can make going forward and Nintendo's developers will have way less limitations compared to the tablet hybrid approach that Eurogamer were led to believe NX was.

I think he has poorly chosen words, he later even call handheld "the thing", he could call base unit a home console, it's very obvious he has hard time explaining whole concept, he also in one video called it hybrid.

JustBeingReal's reply: There's literally no reason to think Boogie's words were poorly chosen, I don't know if your native language isn't english or some other other issue that effects your ability to assess the statements others make, but you often don't seem to actually grasp a person's words as they are intended.

Boogie's wording was deliberate and based on what he was told.

He's not calling the handheld the system here, if he was then he wouldn't have said the handheld can play a form of the game, he would have just said the handheld plays the game exactly as it does when you play it on the console, there would be no difference, he didn't emphasize the same level of performance in both modes.

A mobile device is more limiting technically, it has to be because space is needed to help deal with the heat issues of more power intensive processing technology.

"I've talked to two people who have used it. One is from Ubisoft and he said programming for it is actually really nice and Nintendo is working very closely with him and that the concept is great because he said, you could play... Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it... Let's say you could play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant. That's smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go. So he says it's a dream to code for. And then somebody I know who's played on the NX for 20 minutes said... It's as innovative as they'd hoped and 'we wish we had done that.'"

JustBeingReal's reply: You've literally just reinfoced my point, by copying Boogie's words and they show he's not saying what you believe him to be.

Actually read his comments straight, without thinking about the Eurogamer rumor, remove that from your mind, Boogie's saying this system has a handheld and a console, the handheld plays a form of the game, it doesn't play the exact same way on the handheld as it does when you plug the handheld into the console, the only way that works is if the console has more power, the handheld fits in a person's pocket, which means it's far more limited in it's ability to deal with heat that a processing chip puts out and that means it's not going to be able to overclock or have extra internal processing tech that can be activated when connected to a mains power supply.

Nowhere in Boogie's comments did he say that NX docks into a dummy unit that sends gameplay to your TV, he just says it connects, which could be through a dock, but also a cable or some other manner that Nintendo worked out.

CarcharodonKraz said:
man, if this thing is really $450 and sub par to xb1 in power, then it had BETTER be two consoles with a unified OS. that's a pretty high price if it were to just be a handheld with a perephieral. Can you imagine buying a gameboy advanced and a gameboy player for $350 back in the day? that'd been rediculous.

No way it will cost $450, after 3DS and Wii U Nintendo will not again go for high price espacily in middle of generation, they know it cant have higher price than XB1/PS4, also Nintendo said they aiming affordable price. Personaly I expecting $249-299 price point.

There's definitely no way NX is going to be that expensive as a single unit or even with the kind of thing that Boogie was told NX is.

The tech to make a console with performance around XB1 and PS4 or slightly better than PS4 for a console, bundled in with a handheld that can get around a 7th gen console (which is what a pocket fitting form factor device can handle) could be done for $299.

zorg1000 said:

Its a very similar situation.

Wii U was a PS3/360 level console when PS4/XBO were on the way.

NX will be a XBO/PS4 level console when Pro/Scorpio just released/on the way.

What makes you think mulitplats are going to sell significantly better on NX than they did on Wii U?

By the time NX releases PS4/XBO will have sold over 80 million with the majority of the shooter/sports/action crowd already having jumped over from PS3/360, what will make these people switch to NX?

Going forward, why will people looking for a console choose NX over PS4/XBO which have established libraries and large online communites for the big games?

Why will people looking for the best versions of games choose NX over Pro or Scorpio?

There really isnt a scenario that allows for multiplats to sell substantial numbers or being system sellers for NX.

Fact that NX will sell much better than Wii U. :D

JustBeingReal's reply: Which isn't based on anything tangible right now, in order for that to happen Nintendo would need to target the market that buys third party games with their own exclusives, they haven't done that since the SNES days really when younger people gamed, now they ignore the people that made up the majority of their audience back in the earlier console days.

This requires a minimum level of performance technically speaking to accommodate the vision that 3rd party devs have and also allow Nintendo's own developers the freedom to expand their IP to more diverse heights.

Generally the wider gaming audience would care more about accessibility and how the device fits around their lives and that it provides them with the ability to play all of the titles they want.

There's no way casuals will care about a dedicated gaming device either, they'll just continue to play on the tech they already have.

See reply in bold.

FYI SuperMetalDave64 has put out a video talking about Boogie's latest blog post.

It seems Boogie's sources aren't verified, but rather they've be right about some of the rumors leaked and he feels they could be legit, just as with the SMD64, Eurogamer, WSJ, IGN and other articles talking about NX leaks people should take all of this with a big grain of salt.

JustBeingReal said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think he has poorly chosen words, he later even call handheld "the thing", he could call base unit a home console, it's very obvious he has hard time explaining whole concept, he also in one video called it hybrid.

JustBeingReal's reply: There's literally no reason to think Boogie's words were poorly chosen, I don't know if your native language isn't english or some other other issue that effects your ability to assess the statements others make, but you often don't seem to actually grasp a person's words as they are intended.

Boogie's wording was deliberate and based on what he was told.

He's not calling the handheld the system here, if he was then he wouldn't have said the handheld can play a form of the game, he would have just said the handheld plays the game exactly as it does when you play it on the console, there would be no difference, he didn't emphasize the same level of performance in both modes.

A mobile device is more limiting technically, it has to be because space is needed to help deal with the heat issues of more power intensive processing technology.

"I've talked to two people who have used it. One is from Ubisoft and he said programming for it is actually really nice and Nintendo is working very closely with him and that the concept is great because he said, you could play... Uh, I dunno how careful I should be with it... Let's say you could play Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant. That's smart, right? Taking a form of the game with you as you go. So he says it's a dream to code for. And then somebody I know who's played on the NX for 20 minutes said... It's as innovative as they'd hoped and 'we wish we had done that.'"

JustBeingReal's reply: You've literally just reinfoced my point, by copying Boogie's words and they show he's not saying what you believe him to be.

Actually read his comments straight, without thinking about the Eurogamer rumor, remove that from your mind, Boogie's saying this system has a handheld and a console, the handheld plays a form of the game, it doesn't play the exact same way on the handheld as it does when you plug the handheld into the console, the only way that works is if the console has more power, the handheld fits in a person's pocket, which means it's far more limited in it's ability to deal with heat that a processing chip puts out and that means it's not going to be able to overclock or have extra internal processing tech that can be activated when connected to a mains power supply.

Nowhere in Boogie's comments did he say that NX docks into a dummy unit that sends gameplay to your TV, he just says it connects, which could be through a dock, but also a cable or some other manner that Nintendo worked out.

No way it will cost $450, after 3DS and Wii U Nintendo will not again go for high price espacily in middle of generation, they know it cant have higher price than XB1/PS4, also Nintendo said they aiming affordable price. Personaly I expecting $249-299 price point.

There's definitely no way NX is going to be that expensive as a single unit or even with the kind of thing that Boogie was told NX is.

The tech to make a console with performance around XB1 and PS4 or slightly better than PS4 for a console, bundled in with a handheld that can get around a 7th gen console (which is what a pocket fitting form factor device can handle) could be done for $299.

Fact that NX will sell much better than Wii U. :D

JustBeingReal's reply: Which isn't based on anything tangible right now, in order for that to happen Nintendo would need to target the market that buys third party games with their own exclusives, they haven't done that since the SNES days really when younger people gamed, now they ignore the people that made up the majority of their audience back in the earlier console days.

This requires a minimum level of performance technically speaking to accommodate the vision that 3rd party devs have and also allow Nintendo's own developers the freedom to expand their IP to more diverse heights.

Generally the wider gaming audience would care more about accessibility and how the device fits around their lives and that it provides them with the ability to play all of the titles they want.

There's no way casuals will care about a dedicated gaming device either, they'll just continue to play on the tech they already have.

See reply in bold.

FYI SuperMetalDave64 has put out a video talking about Boogie's latest blog post.

It seems Boogie's sources aren't verified, but rather they've be right about some of the rumors leaked and he feels they could be legit, just as with the SMD64, Eurogamer, WSJ, IGN and other articles talking about NX leaks people should take all of this with a big grain of salt.

Yes there is reason to think he chosen words poorly because it's very obvious he has hard time explaining whole concept, and fact that people are not sure what exactly he meant also proves that.

No, you cant make home console of PS4 level of power packed with standalone handheld and sell it for $299 with profit.

More popular console with bigger instal base will have better sales of games, logical, thats was my point.

I wouldn't put Bogie and SMD with Emily and some other sources, not to mention Eurogamer, WSJ and IGN. Bogie is not know like someone who has sources, he heard something and he talked about it, if got real information from real source we dont know, but apparently he is usually honest. SMD don't have any source, he just posting his opinions, he had real source but lost it when basically post everything (including marketing budget, lol) that was told to him. Emily definitely have some sources, but of course is not true everything she says. Eurogamer, WSJ and IGN have incompatible much better connections and better sources in industry, so they are definitely much more reliable and more serious about those matters than Emily, not to mention Bogie and SMD.