By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More NX Hybrid + Two console idea confirmation?(video)

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Why do you have a problem with the memory bus?

*Edit* I've taken a look and that description could also refer to the Tonga GPU of the 380X. It also has 2048 shaders and, while the retail version is limited to a 256-bit memory bus, the actual chip is 384-bit capable (source: PcPer). It's just that AMD decided not to use it.

Way to many PCB layers and memory chips to pull off. It would drive prices way to high.

It could be Tonga... But then it doesn't remain in-line with the tweet that said the device was using older tech.
However, AMD's GCN is pretty modular, it would be easy to update a few aspects of the chip.

bunchanumbers said:

How does this stack to the base Xbox One?

Roughly 5x the GPU capability, accounting for efficiency gains, in my opinion.

JRPGfan said:

this rumor is 901 Gflops (FP64)

vs

Xbox One Slim 1400 Gflops (FP64)  / PS4 1840 Gflops (FP64).

So its not that far off, also with that 384bit bus it ll probably have more memory bandwidth than the PS4 or XB1.

... Those flop numbers are all out of whack and wrong.

TheLastStarFighter said:

There's nothing actually saying it's the AMD 7xxx series though. That said, I don't expect 3.5 flops. If we're believing Ruby - and I do - the system will run at about 2.5 flops. I believe Nintendo targeted easy PS4 ports with NX, and as such I believe similar architecture to the PlayStation, with slightly more power.

If we were to believe Ruby, then you would be wrong. It's not 2.5 Teraflops of single precision.

To calculate flops it is Clock Rate * 2 * Shaders.
Ruby stated the Clock is: 880mhz * 2 * 2048 shaders which is about 3.6 Teraflops. (For all that it's worth.)

So which is it, you either Believe Ruby or you don't? :P

My bad. I thought it was her that said 2.5, but it was another. 

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Pemalite said:

Way to many PCB layers and memory chips to pull off. It would drive prices way to high.

It could be Tonga... But then it doesn't remain in-line with the tweet that said the device was using older tech.
However, AMD's GCN is pretty modular, it would be easy to update a few aspects of the chip.

Roughly 5x the GPU capability, accounting for efficiency gains, in my opinion.

... Those flop numbers are all out of whack and wrong.

If we were to believe Ruby, then you would be wrong. It's not 2.5 Teraflops of single precision.

To calculate flops it is Clock Rate * 2 * Shaders.
Ruby stated the Clock is: 880mhz * 2 * 2048 shaders which is about 3.6 Teraflops. (For all that it's worth.)

So which is it, you either Believe Ruby or you don't? :P

Thank you. Not just for the reply, but for restoring my shattered faith in Nintendo. Even if its a hurtful vicious lie, I will take it. Nintendo making a weak 720p tablet being their secret sauce hurts my soul. Even if this HC is a lie, I'm happy. I'll hold onto this until the truth is revealed and I go get drunk and sob gently into my booze.

I believe in it. The tablet concept as presented by euro simply doesn't make sense, and Nintendo has filed numerous home console patents. There will be a handheld element, but there won't be a handheld pretending be a console.  More like the opposite. 

archbrix said:
Miyamotoo said:

[...]  

Like I wrote, SMD had real source but he losted it very fast, after that he is talking nonsense most of time, he was talking that NX is Polaris based and that will be stronger than PS4, even competing with PS4 Pro, lol.

Do you have a link confirming this?  I know that SMD went silent for a while after that leak, but nowhere have I seen that he lost his source or is no longer privy to their info.

He had just one huge leak at end of year and after that he didn't had not one single leak, after that he just gave his opinions.

Also this proves he dont have any source, basicly he just assuming.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/i-asked-youtube-personality-supermetaldave64-why-he-disagrees-with-my-nx-rumors/

PwerlvlAmy said:
Mar1217 said:

You shouldn't twist the words of someone just to make it match your view. He talked about a Handheld, no mention of something that seems like a tablet device, pluged into a Console, no mention of a docking station(base unit or docking station either).

This point towards the direction of the NX being an ecosystem of 2 devices.

Haha exactly. Pretty much the bolded. People keep switching the wording around or adding in their own words to fit their specific argument rather than focus on what the actual quote really is 

Boogie2988(Francis) confirmed that the thought that is a hybrid, not two separate devices separate home console and separate handheld like some people were thinking. He several times wrote "device" not devices, he wrote that his source told him that "that the device is in fact a handheld/console hybrid and the handheld can be carried with you and can play", and he also said "I expect it to be a console/handheld hybrid".

https://www.reddit.com/r/boogie2988/comments/5689cc/about_the_nx_rumors_i_discussed_at_retropalooza/

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Why do you have a problem with the memory bus?

*Edit* I've taken a look and that description could also refer to the Tonga GPU of the 380X. It also has 2048 shaders and, while the retail version is limited to a 256-bit memory bus, the actual chip is 384-bit capable (source: PcPer). It's just that AMD decided not to use it.

I didn't thought about the complexity of the higher memory bus or the PCB layers.

And technically, Tonga would be "older tech" as it has been replaced by Polaris.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.