By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More NX Hybrid + Two console idea confirmation?(video)

There's nothing actually saying it's the AMD 7xxx series though. That said, I don't expect 3.5 flops. If we're believing Ruby - and I do - the system will run at about 2.5 flops. I believe Nintendo targeted easy PS4 ports with NX, and as such I believe similar architecture to the PlayStation, with slightly more power.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
bunchanumbers said:

Wait so now you're saying its more powerful than PS4 and is close to PS4 Pro?

Thats what this rumor says if its true.

Close to PS4pro level performance of the GPU.

Imagine if it has a better cpu? more memory bandwidth (it has a 384bit bus).

This could be very close to PS4pro.

And with the way Nintendo makes games, you can basically be sure if this rumor is true it means all nintendo games 4k.

Im hesitant to believe it, it sounds too good to be true. And its very differnt than all those rumors of a hybrid console, tablet.

I would be so delighted if that happens. If it can pull off 3TFs I think it will be more than enough to encourage 3rd party devs to publish their games on NX.

TheLastStarFighter said:

There's nothing actually saying it's the AMD 7xxx series though. That said, I don't expect 3.5 flops. If we're believing Ruby - and I do - the system will run at about 2.5 flops. I believe Nintendo targeted easy PS4 ports with NX, and as such I believe similar architecture to the PlayStation, with slightly more power.

Really  believe that  rumor? The rx460 is about 2.5 tf and is 14 nm with a much lower power draw and cost.  If its "older tech" as their tweet indicated, its hard to imagine 28nm, too expensive and power hungry. 

I really doubt it will be PS4p level tbh unless NX turns out to be what my initial speculation thought in that it's a family of devices under one library and software platform much like IOS. Then I can see the home console being in that range.

Then again some of what the rumour says is plausible as it highlights NX console is first or has a slight portable element that doesn't really replace 3DS. This would mean the console is two devices executing a single concept which would explain the hybrid claims from supposed insiders.

Miyamotoo said:

[...]  

Like I wrote, SMD had real source but he losted it very fast, after that he is talking nonsense most of time, he was talking that NX is Polaris based and that will be stronger than PS4, even competing with PS4 Pro, lol.

Do you have a link confirming this?  I know that SMD went silent for a while after that leak, but nowhere have I seen that he lost his source or is no longer privy to their info.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Really  believe that  rumor? The rx460 is about 2.5 tf and is 14 nm with a much lower power draw and cost.  If its "older tech" as their tweet indicated, its hard to imagine 28nm, too expensive and power hungry. 

Sounds about right ;)

The chip will be semi-custom, of course. 

archbrix said:
Miyamotoo said:

[...]  

Like I wrote, SMD had real source but he losted it very fast, after that he is talking nonsense most of time, he was talking that NX is Polaris based and that will be stronger than PS4, even competing with PS4 Pro, lol.

Do you have a link confirming this?  I know that SMD went silent for a while after that leak, but nowhere have I seen that he lost his source or is no longer privy to their info.

Well his "source" got fired from Nintendo. That's a pretty good way to lose your info, beyond that though I doubt NOA regular joe staffers really know anything more about the NX than any of us do. 

NCL treats NOA like shit, and only gives info on a need to know basis and the people who get that info on a need to know basis aren't dumb enough to leak it, because you don't get that high up in Nintendo being loose with information in the first place. 

Beyond that SMD has never claimed to have a source for his AMD claims, he's basically just saying what he wants in the system and betting the farm that one of AMD's semi-custom wins must be for the NX. Which is unlikely to actually happen, because Nintendo doesn't give two farts about what people like SuperMetalDave think or want. You'll get Mario and Zelda and you will shut up and like it is basically what it is. 

Soundwave said:
archbrix said:

Well his "source" got fired from Nintendo. That's a pretty good way to lose your info, beyond that though I doubt NOA regular joe staffers really know anything more about the NX than any of us do. 

NCL treats NOA like shit, and only gives info on a need to know basis and the people who get that info on a need to know basis aren't dumb enough to leak it, because you don't get that high up in Nintendo being loose with information in the first place. 

Beyond that SMD has never claimed to have a source for his AMD claims, he's basically just saying what he wants in the system and betting the farm that one of AMD's semi-custom wins must be for the NX. Which is unlikely to actually happen, because Nintendo doesn't give two farts about what people like SuperMetalDave think or want. You'll get Mario and Zelda and you will shut up and like it is basically what it is. 

Ok, I see some stuff about his source being fired now.  Too bad, I guess.

I know that SMD isn't claiming sources for his NX predictions but his logic is certainly sound, even if it is incorrect.  Also, we all know that Nintendo plays by its own rules, for better or worse, but your assumption that "you'll get Mario and Zelda and you will shut up and like it" is their current mindset is silly coming off of the WiiU.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

* GPU Clock: 880 MHz 
* TMU's: 128 
* Stream Processors: 2048 
* ROP: 32 
* Memory Bus: 384

It smells like a 4-year old Radeon 7970/280X. Yuck. (They even stated prior it was old tech.)

Highly doubt it based on the memory bus alone.

Better off with something newer, cooler, more efficient and cheaper to manufacture to be honest.

Why do you have a problem with the memory bus?

*Edit* I've taken a look and that description could also refer to the Tonga GPU of the 380X. It also has 2048 shaders and, while the retail version is limited to a 256-bit memory bus, the actual chip is 384-bit capable (source: PcPer). It's just that AMD decided not to use it.

Way to many PCB layers and memory chips to pull off. It would drive prices way to high.

It could be Tonga... But then it doesn't remain in-line with the tweet that said the device was using older tech.
However, AMD's GCN is pretty modular, it would be easy to update a few aspects of the chip.

bunchanumbers said:

How does this stack to the base Xbox One?

Roughly 5x the GPU capability, accounting for efficiency gains, in my opinion.

JRPGfan said:

this rumor is 901 Gflops (FP64)

vs

Xbox One Slim 1400 Gflops (FP64)  / PS4 1840 Gflops (FP64).

So its not that far off, also with that 384bit bus it ll probably have more memory bandwidth than the PS4 or XB1.

... Those flop numbers are all out of whack and wrong.

TheLastStarFighter said:

If we were to believe Ruby, then you would be wrong. It's not 2.5 Teraflops of single precision.

To calculate flops it is Clock Rate * 2 * Shaders.
Ruby stated the Clock is: 880mhz * 2 * 2048 shaders which is about 3.6 Teraflops. (For all that it's worth.)

So which is it, you either Believe Ruby or you don't? :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Why do you have a problem with the memory bus?

*Edit* I've taken a look and that description could also refer to the Tonga GPU of the 380X. It also has 2048 shaders and, while the retail version is limited to a 256-bit memory bus, the actual chip is 384-bit capable (source: PcPer). It's just that AMD decided not to use it.

Way to many PCB layers and memory chips to pull off. It would drive prices way to high.

It could be Tonga... But then it doesn't remain in-line with the tweet that said the device was using older tech.
However, AMD's GCN is pretty modular, it would be easy to update a few aspects of the chip.

bunchanumbers said:

How does this stack to the base Xbox One?

Roughly 5x the GPU capability, accounting for efficiency gains, in my opinion.

JRPGfan said:

this rumor is 901 Gflops (FP64)

vs

Xbox One Slim 1400 Gflops (FP64)  / PS4 1840 Gflops (FP64).

So its not that far off, also with that 384bit bus it ll probably have more memory bandwidth than the PS4 or XB1.

... Those flop numbers are all out of whack and wrong.

TheLastStarFighter said:

If we were to believe Ruby, then you would be wrong. It's not 2.5 Teraflops of single precision.

To calculate flops it is Clock Rate * 2 * Shaders.
Ruby stated the Clock is: 880mhz * 2 * 2048 shaders which is about 3.6 Teraflops. (For all that it's worth.)

So which is it, you either Believe Ruby or you don't? :P

Thank you. Not just for the reply, but for restoring my shattered faith in Nintendo. Even if its a hurtful vicious lie, I will take it. Nintendo making a weak 720p tablet being their secret sauce hurts my soul. Even if this HC is a lie, I'm happy. I'll hold onto this until the truth is revealed and I go get drunk and sob gently into my booze.