By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is my PC outdated already?

Tagged games:

Johnw1104 said:
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since there's PC people in here thought I'd ask about a problem of mine without starting a new one... I recently updated just about everything in preparation for VR, including a new motherboard. It has plenty of RAM (48gb), an i7 6850k, the recent pascal arch geforce Titan, and the new mobo is a ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX. Plus, I've reinstalled my Windows 10pro on a Samsung EVO 450gb SSD.

All drivers are updated, everything seems like it SHOULD be blazing along (and it is once I log into the computer), but the boot up takes damn near forever. I think it must be the mobo as it can be a solid minute before I even get the boot screen asking whether I'd like to visit BIOS or not, and then another minute after. I really can't figure out what on earth the issue is, but once the OS is loaded everything works just fine. It's not really a huge problem, then, but it's a bit irritating.

Anyone ever run into this issue? I can't find much about it online.

Yeah i do have the same problem too. installing windows onto a faster HDD such as an SSD helps A lot!, also check what programs you have running @Start up.

I had one program installed one time and before i knew about it my PC used to take like 10 minutes to from start to boot. After removing that program my boot time went down to like 3 minutes. But if its really only taking you 2 minutes to boot into your system thats not too bad!. I think its more to do with the speed of your HDD and what programs you might have running at startup.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since there's PC people in here thought I'd ask about a problem of mine without starting a new one... I recently updated just about everything in preparation for VR, including a new motherboard. It has plenty of RAM (48gb), an i7 6850k, the recent pascal arch geforce Titan, and the new mobo is a ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX. Plus, I've reinstalled my Windows 10pro on a Samsung EVO 450gb SSD.

All drivers are updated, everything seems like it SHOULD be blazing along (and it is once I log into the computer), but the boot up takes damn near forever. I think it must be the mobo as it can be a solid minute before I even get the boot screen asking whether I'd like to visit BIOS or not, and then another minute after. I really can't figure out what on earth the issue is, but once the OS is loaded everything works just fine. It's not really a huge problem, then, but it's a bit irritating.

Check your BIOS for any pre-boot diagnostics and turn them off.   Check the Samsung Magician software for proper configuration of the SSD.

And as Zero129 noted, check what runs at boot.
Hit the Windows key and type msconfig and hit enter.   Click the Startup tab and uncheck those applications you don't want running at boot.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

zero129 said:
Johnw1104 said:

Yeah i do have the same problem too. installing windows onto a faster HDD such as an SSD helps A lot!, also check what programs you have running @Start up.

I had one program installed one time and before i knew about it my PC used to take like 10 minutes to from start to boot. After removing that program my boot time went down to like 3 minutes. But if its really only taking you 2 minutes to boot into your system thats not too bad!. I think its more to do with the speed of your HDD and what programs you might have running at startup.

Yeah I'm using a SSD but you did make me think of something just now actually, could it perhaps be the additional normal HDD that I have connected for storage? It boots from the SSD but I keep the HDD connected and available for things I don't need quickly loaded. I donno why that would slow things down, but I suppose it might.

SpokenTruth said:
Johnw1104 said:

Check your BIOS for any pre-boot diagnostics and turn them off.   Check the Samsung Magician software for proper configuration of the SSD.

Hit the Windows key and type msconfig and hit enter.   Click the Startup tab and uncheck those applications you don't want running at boot.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Johnw1104 said:
zero129 said:

Yeah I'm using a SSD but you did make me think of something just now actually, could it perhaps be the additional normal HDD that I have connected for storage? It boots from the SSD but I keep the HDD connected and available for things I don't need quickly loaded. I donno why that would slow things down, but I suppose it might.

Not a problem at all.  Most PC builders, myself included, use an SSD for the OS and apps and a HDD for storage.   

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Thanks, I'll do that.

NP dude hope you figure out what it is, btw I never noticed you was already using an SSD lol xD.

Johnw1104 said:
zero129 said:

It could do. for instance say you installed some program onto your 2nd HDD that boots at start, it would still be loading from the slow hdd and that would slow down your system boot time.

zero129 said:
Johnw1104 said:

It could do. for instance say you installed some program onto your 2nd HDD that boots at start, it would still be loading from the slow hdd and that would slow down your system boot time.

I wouldn't be surprised actually.

What's strange is I can't seem to boot into the HDD, but I can still access it just fine and use it for storage. I might just transfer all those files to one of my externals and reformat it.

Johnw1104 said:
zero129 said:

I wouldn't be surprised actually.

What's strange is I can't seem to boot into the HDD, but I can still access it just fine and use it for storage. I might just transfer all those files to one of my externals and reformat it.

Yeah it really could be a problem with the 2nd HDD. Im not 100% sure but i do think that your PC will try to read that HDD anyways at boot so maybe this could be your problem. Have you tried booting the PC without the 2nd HDD plugged in and see if anything changes?. That would be the first thing id try.

Barkley said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Son, it's time to upgrade.

Go get 16GB of RAM at least & Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Compact-Graphics-ZT-P10610A-10L/dp/B01KKJAJM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474886790&sr=8-2&keywords=Geforce+GTX+1060+3gb

16gb of RAM but only the 3gb 1060???

8gb of ram is certainly sufficient at the moment, it'd be better to get the higher vram version than pointlessly get 16gb ram.

8gb would fill up easily, heck. My ram is on used nearly 8gb lmao

My ram is 64gb ddr4...