By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is my PC outdated already?

Tagged games:

Darwinianevolution said:
malistix1985 said:
A PC is outdated fast when you bought a PC with a low-end graphics card to begin with, my 3 year old PC is still up and kicking, since I decided to buy a fast i7 with a 780GTX, which still runs everything.

Spent more, upgrade less.

But I bought my 750 when it came out, it was top of the line :(

Nvidia product are very easy.

Top End - Titan Products
Very High End - 1080 GTX
High End - 1070 GTX
Mid Range - 1060 GTX
Low End - 1050 GTX

Everything below, for HTCP and budget-gamers not wanting to play the newest gmes, but games like DOTA and stuff.

now in the 7xx series, your buy was the same, a low end product in the series what is now many years old, I bought the 780GTX, which was the very high end back then and that card still performance in the mid-range of the current market.

If you buy graphics card, do your research, go to reliable websites, like toms hardware or guru3d and read their reviews, see the benchmarks, or ask for advice on VGchartz, but trust me, your card was never ment for a high end gaming PC

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

You need more ram, and it looks like you purchased a budget gpu. Mine is a 670 and looking at benchmarks it looks like that beats yours soundly in all areas. Don't always assume higher numbers = better.

But don't think you need some $500 gpu or anything. My 670 plays all current games still great.

But you should upgrade your ram for sure. Just spend like $60 and get a couple 8 gig sticks. You may not need 16 gigs total, but for the price why not. Ram is cheap.

If you want a cheap gpu upgrade that will play these games on medium just fine, try the geforce 950... it's remarkably inexpensive.

Then again I imagine there's cheaper options from the 10 series now as well.

Barkley said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Son, it's time to upgrade.

Go get 16GB of RAM at least & Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Compact-Graphics-ZT-P10610A-10L/dp/B01KKJAJM4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474886790&sr=8-2&keywords=Geforce+GTX+1060+3gb

16gb of RAM but only the 3gb 1060???

8gb of ram is certainly sufficient at the moment, it'd be better to get the higher vram version than pointlessly get 16gb ram.

Yep, but first he needs to check if his PSU can handle the extra watts, the TDP of that 750 is low.

Xen said:

That I3 is perfectly good these days, at least for now. Add 4GB of ram, a faster GPU (that 1060 3gb is a good idea), and boom, done. The above just suggests wasting money for no reason.

But his i3 won't be lasting him 5+ years, at best a year or two and it won't serve for games that demand that bit more from the CPU. If the i3 was honestly that good, we'd all be sporting it over i5's and i7's, but that isn't really much the case these days. 

If he just goes for say an i5 4670k, he'll be fine for a good number of years, and it won't break the bank either (not as much as what you'd fetch for most i7's).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since there's PC people in here thought I'd ask about a problem of mine without starting a new one... I recently updated just about everything in preparation for VR, including a new motherboard. It has plenty of RAM (48gb), an i7 6850k, the recent pascal arch geforce Titan, and the new mobo is a ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX. Plus, I've reinstalled my Windows 10pro on a Samsung EVO 450gb SSD.

All drivers are updated, everything seems like it SHOULD be blazing along (and it is once I log into the computer), but the boot up takes damn near forever. I think it must be the mobo as it can be a solid minute before I even get the boot screen asking whether I'd like to visit BIOS or not, and then another minute after. I really can't figure out what on earth the issue is, but once the OS is loaded everything works just fine. It's not really a huge problem, then, but it's a bit irritating.

Anyone ever run into this issue? I can't find much about it online.

Chazore said:
Xen said:

That I3 is perfectly good these days, at least for now. Add 4GB of ram, a faster GPU (that 1060 3gb is a good idea), and boom, done. The above just suggests wasting money for no reason.

But his i3 won't be lasting him 5+ years, at best a year or two and it won't serve for games that demand that bit more from the CPU. If the i3 was honestly that good, we'd all be sporting it over i5's and i7's, but that isn't really much the case these days. 

If he just goes for say an i5 4670k, he'll be fine for a good number of years, and it won't break the bank either (not as much as what you'd fetch for most i7's).

No argument with that i3 not lasting him another 5 years, but no need for anything "K", lest you overclock. Any Haswell i5, e.g i5 4460 will be perfectly good for most anything considering the GPU-bound nature of games these days - that CPU is great value these days, and in the future, should only fall in price.

Nevertheless, any i3, gen 4 and later, which is not cache-starved, is perfectly good for most games these days. I would get a new GPU and another stick of RAM.

zero129 said:
Johnw1104 said:
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but since there's PC people in here thought I'd ask about a problem of mine without starting a new one... I recently updated just about everything in preparation for VR, including a new motherboard. It has plenty of RAM (48gb), an i7 6850k, the recent pascal arch geforce Titan, and the new mobo is a ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX. Plus, I've reinstalled my Windows 10pro on a Samsung EVO 450gb SSD.

All drivers are updated, everything seems like it SHOULD be blazing along (and it is once I log into the computer), but the boot up takes damn near forever. I think it must be the mobo as it can be a solid minute before I even get the boot screen asking whether I'd like to visit BIOS or not, and then another minute after. I really can't figure out what on earth the issue is, but once the OS is loaded everything works just fine. It's not really a huge problem, then, but it's a bit irritating.

Yeah i do have the same problem too. installing windows onto a faster HDD such as an SSD helps A lot!, also check what programs you have running @Start up.

I had one program installed one time and before i knew about it my PC used to take like 10 minutes to from start to boot. After removing that program my boot time went down to like 3 minutes. But if its really only taking you 2 minutes to boot into your system thats not too bad!. I think its more to do with the speed of your HDD and what programs you might have running at startup.

Yeah I'm using a SSD but you did make me think of something just now actually, could it perhaps be the additional normal HDD that I have connected for storage? It boots from the SSD but I keep the HDD connected and available for things I don't need quickly loaded. I donno why that would slow things down, but I suppose it might.

SpokenTruth said:
Johnw1104 said:

Check your BIOS for any pre-boot diagnostics and turn them off.   Check the Samsung Magician software for proper configuration of the SSD.

And as Zero129 noted, check what runs at boot.
Hit the Windows key and type msconfig and hit enter.   Click the Startup tab and uncheck those applications you don't want running at boot.

Thanks, I'll do that.

zero129 said:
Johnw1104 said:

Yeah I'm using a SSD but you did make me think of something just now actually, could it perhaps be the additional normal HDD that I have connected for storage? It boots from the SSD but I keep the HDD connected and available for things I don't need quickly loaded. I donno why that would slow things down, but I suppose it might.

It could do. for instance say you installed some program onto your 2nd HDD that boots at start, it would still be loading from the slow hdd and that would slow down your system boot time.

I wouldn't be surprised actually.

What's strange is I can't seem to boot into the HDD, but I can still access it just fine and use it for storage. I might just transfer all those files to one of my externals and reformat it.