By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will the NX be called, Prediction Thread!

Tagged games:

Nintendo NX name scheme?

Something from the distant past (NES2) 12 5.97%

Something from the more recent Eras (WiiU2) 11 5.47%

Something completely new (Nintendo - Sausage) 82 40.80%

Something iconic (The Nintendo!) 26 12.94%

The dev name... (NX) 51 25.37%

A more fleshed out dev na... 19 9.45%

Total:201
Yerm said:
well in Japan, everythime you see an X, they usually call it "cross" and seeing how the NX is probably a hybrid console, i see them giving it a full console name of "Nintendo Entertainment Cross-Platform" or the "NEX" for short.

Yeah that was meant to be the last option in the poll but it was shortened by the site! Option was for a more fleshed out version of the NX name, as I said in the 3rd post in the thread something like Nintendo X-Platform Would be cool if all the rumours about it being both a home console and a portable device turn out to be true.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Yerm said:
well in Japan, everythime you see an X, they usually call it "cross" and seeing how the NX is probably a hybrid console, i see them giving it a full console name of "Nintendo Entertainment Cross-Platform" or the "NEX" for short.

Wouldn't having X in the name also have negative connotations in Japan, being that X (batsu) is used to denote that something is incorrect or negative?

Leadified said:
Yerm said:

Wouldn't having X in the name also have negative connotations in Japan, being that X (batsu) is used to denote that something is incorrect or negative?

i hear what youre saying but if nintendo really cared about that they wouldnt have used "NX" as the codename to start with

I'm thinking they'll call it the Wiiwii.

They're going to go for a basic but deep name. One that will piss off Nintendo fans but will be easily remembered by the public. Therefore I believe the NX's true name will be: Arnold

Around the Network

I'm guessing the dev name NX was inspired by the word Nexus which is about linking two or more things together or being the central hub of something. It kind of fits with the merging of the portable and home console teams,  the rumours of it being a hybrid affair joining home console and portable together, not to mention the unification of accounts over different devices that they talked about.

So I'm predicting that the name will be all about connecting, except it will be a derivation of a Japanese word with a similar meaning to Nexus.

The name will refer to an era, new one I think, it's not from Wii or Ds family
Shame cos I like the NX name, I also like Lexus SUV with the same name

Maybe the Wii-Wii ;).

I think it would be cool if they named it the Dolphin, as an homage to one of the great, the Gamecube.

I think the NX will have a different name depending on the region.

Brought to you by Reggie San the Wii USA.
For our European friends the Wii EU
For our brexit friends the Wii UK,
For our Japanese friends the Wii U Wan Sum?
A special edition Wii U-boat design with a WW2 game bundled for Germany
The Wii Ukraine for eastern Europe.
The Wii U-bisoft that only plays their games
The Wii U N I T E D United are the team for me for all the man United fans in China
And the Wii A I E O U for all those vowel lovers out there. Won't be available in Poland.
The Wii Uber bundled with crazy taxi.

Leadified said:
Yerm said:

But then... using Playstation logic for Yes and No or X and O... that would mean to be a positive console it would have to be called the Nintendo NO

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive