By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Hints At Scorpio Being Cheaper Than People Think

LurkerJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Eh, his response does imply competitive pricing.

I feel like Sony fans are really concerned about a $399 Scorpio. It seems like a necessary move for MS. X1 S should be $250 by then.

Are they, really?

Pro will be one year old and probably cheaper than it is now. The lead PS4 family will have over the X1 family, by the time the scorpio releases, will be too big for the scorpio to mend, if it does any mending.

I think people wanna believe PS4 Pro is as good as it gets at $399. No UHD and 4 teraflops. But we'll see next year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Bandorr said:
That's just basic PR speech. They did not confirm nor deny. They just gave a generic response.

... X1 S should be $250 by then.

By then? I can walk into a MediaMarkt right now and buy an X1 S Fifa17 bundle for $249 (the plain PS4 S is $329, Fifa 17 is $80). This should give you an idea of just how much money MS is throwing at the problem. If they really throw the Scorpio on the market at $399, they just continue to throw (maybe even more) money at the problem.

drkohler said:
Mr Puggsly said:

... X1 S should be $250 by then.

By then? I can walk into a MediaMarkt right now and buy an X1 S Fifa17 bundle for $249 (the plain PS4 S is $329, Fifa 17 is $80). This should give you an idea of just how much money MS is throwing at the problem. If they really throw the Scorpio on the market at $399, they just continue to throw (maybe even more) money at the problem.

Traditionally console manufactures have sold hardware at a loss, for consumers its great because we get more bang for our buck.

I'm not sure why consumers are perceiving this as a bad thing now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
drkohler said:

Traditionally console manufactures have sold hardware at a loss, for consumers its great because we get more bang for our buck.

I'm not sure why consumers are perceiving this as a bad thing now.

Traditionally, we don't have mid-gen upgrades because console manufactures want to make money on their hardware by now.

Mr Puggsly said:
LurkerJ said:

Are they, really?

Pro will be one year old and probably cheaper than it is now. The lead PS4 family will have over the X1 family, by the time the scorpio releases, will be too big for the scorpio to mend, if it does any mending.

I think people wanna believe PS4 Pro is as good as it gets at $399. No UHD and 4 teraflops. But we'll see next year.

I think people just wants to believe that MS is gonna deliver for the first time this gen and stop being a disappointment, they failed their crowd with the original X1 reveal, the mandatory inclusion of kinect, the overstated benefits of the cloud, and has been mending their self inflicted wounds even before either console launched. (I'd add sharing all future exclusives with windows 10, but not every xbox fan is disappointed with that)

Now, the Pro is as good as it gets for the price, you can't buy a better console for that price, not now.

A year later, at $399, you should get better tech for the same amount of money, no question.

Around the Network

They will almost be forced to put it at $399-$449, while having X1 at $249. Since they seem to (for the next few years at least) want to keep X1 and Scorpio as part of the same ecosystem, they will want to price both competitively while also releasing all games on both consoles.

The key question is how long Microsoft intends to have the Scorpio on the market.

If it's only presented as a premium version of the XO and slated to fade away in a few years then launching at a loss makes little sense. People who upgrade from the original would actually constitute a loss, as they're already part of the ecosystem.

If it's part of their no-more-generations thing, where they're looking at the long-tail of the Scorpio being their main machine on the market for at least four years then there is some merit to the idea that they'd push hard at first with a low price.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Literally everything you mentioned about MS's business model is speculative.

And Dreamcast was thoroughly destroyed in specs less than 18-months after its release. Regardless of your nostalgia for SoulCal, waiting a year to adopt similar technologies to the PS2 would have given it a fighting chance.

Just saying but on paper the PS3 destoryed the XB360 in terms of specs also.

In real world performance the DC games such as Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi etc was as good as anything that was released on the PS2 in the same time frame. who knows what could of came at the end of the DC's life if it wasnt cut so short.

PS3 was a strange architecture. 

Dreamcast just doesn't have enough storage or power. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

By the time this launches my PC will be near upgrade time. The price and specs of this tech will make me have need to contemplate which path I take.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Soundwave said:
Peh said:
More expensive will obviously get them less consoles sold. But it's still too early to judge.

MS could take a small loss on hardware I think. It's not a big deal in the long term, even $20/unit loss can get you a processor that's a definite notch better. 

I think the original Xbox lost something like $125.00 a unit when it came out so if they wanted to, they could easily make it a monster console and crush everyone else. They have the pocket depth to do it and have shown they aren't afraid.