By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Hints At Scorpio Being Cheaper Than People Think

Soundwave said:
Azuren said:
"Surprise, it's only $500! We bet you were expecting $600, weren't you?"

Unfortunately, I don't feel it matter what price they launch at, they'll be launching too late for it to compete with PS4/Pro and too early to be a proper next-gen. The whole thing reeks of Dreamcast.

Dreamcast wasn't backed by MS' $$$. Besides Dreamcast was great. That was a monstrous upgrade over the PS/N64. Sega just ran out of money, which isn't going to happen to Microsoft. 

Did I say it will be the end of Xbox? Silly me, there I go again, saying things I didn't say.

Dreamcast adopted new technology too fast and tried to come out too early. Waiting a year and adopting DVD and better hardware would have been a game-changer for Sega, and they probably wouldn't have been so thoroughly devastated by PlayStation.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Soundwave said:

Dreamcast wasn't backed by MS' $$$. Besides Dreamcast was great. That was a monstrous upgrade over the PS/N64. Sega just ran out of money, which isn't going to happen to Microsoft. 

Did I say it will be the end of Xbox? Silly me, there I go again, saying things I didn't say.

Dreamcast adopted new technology too fast and tried to come out too early. Waiting a year and adopting DVD and better hardware would have been a game-changer for Sega, and they probably wouldn't have been so thoroughly devastated by PlayStation.

Dreamcast was great hardware wise playing Soul Calibur on it in 1999 was miles beyond anything else on the market. 

Besides MS' model is different anyway, they can release a new hardware model every 3 years, I think that will be the norm for them now. Sony will not be given a hardware advantage again, so launching in 2017 is good, if PS5 is 2019, then MS can move on a better system in 2020. It's a good cycle for MS. 

Dreamcast didn't have that going for it. 

A PS2 situation won't happen again anyway IMO, developers will never give Sony that many exclusives again because games cost too much to make these days and MS is willing to money-hat as well, so Sony doesn't hold a monopoly on that tactic anymore. 

Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

Dreamcast was great hardware wise playing Soul Calibur on it in 1999 was miles beyond anything else on the market. 

Besides MS' model is different anyway, they can release a new hardware model every 3 years, I think that will be the norm for them now. Sony will not be given a hardware advantage again, so launching in 2017 is good, if PS5 is 2019, then MS can move on a better system in 2020. It's a good cycle for MS. 

Dreamcast didn't have that going for it. 

Literally everything you mentioned about MS's business model is speculative.

And Dreamcast was thoroughly destroyed in specs less than 18-months after its release. Regardless of your nostalgia for SoulCal, waiting a year to adopt similar technologies to the PS2 would have given it a fighting chance.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Soundwave said:
method114 said:
I want to believe them but honestly I'm done listening to anything MS says. I'll wait until it's out and then we can see. They've just gone back on so much stuff the said this gen they can't be trusted IMO.

Shrugs, they've been pretty good in the Era Of Phil from what I can see. 

I'm sure Phil's a good guy and does try and do what's best but at the end of the day there are people over him who can decide to go a different direction. It's not so much Phil I'm worried about but the people above him.

method114 said:
I want to believe them but honestly I'm done listening to anything MS says. I'll wait until it's out and then we can see. They've just gone back on so much stuff the said this gen they can't be trusted IMO.

True, don't know why people think 12GB memory is confirmed either. All he said 384 GB/s. How do we know that's not some creative accounting again, like doubling the numbers for a theoretical optimal simultaneous read/write occurrence in esram, or even adding the bandwith of DDR3 together with esram bandwidth. The memory bandwidth of XBox One was all over the place.

Around the Network

Its PR 101. Dont see him hinting at it being cheaper.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I think its just marketing speak, hes trying to keep people holding out for the scorpio.

When it launches at 499$ he ll come out and say "see it wasnt 599$", cheaper than people thought.

where is the hint? Seriously, where is it?

vivster said:
Sounds more like deflection to me.

True. They probably don't even know for sure how they're going to price it. It's still a long way off.

vivster said:
Sounds more like deflection to me.

You really think he's gonna make an announcment there? Ofcourse he was deflecting.

If MS wants to gain some ground it will have to be $399. I guess people forget X1 has generally been cheaper than PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)