By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What benefit does keeping the NX a secret still have?

j.thomaz said:

Why on earth they would show a weaker system now that wouldn't be available before several months (I guess 12), so the customer will jump ship and buy xbo and pspros? No, better keep fan on the hook.for the last 40 weeks people have being saying that next week they will announce. Relax and buy a pspro, or if you want hybrid a new iPhone + an Apple TV, you will be able to play Mario on the go and connect it to you tv on hd as well.

They are launching the game system in March.

Ei. you will be able to buy a system 5months from now in stores.

Thats why people are worried. 5 months to launch and we dont know what the system is? is it a hybrid 2in1? is it not? does it use ARM? or x86?

Is it rumored 199-249$ price point right? or the 500 Gflops (1/9th of what the PS4 pro is true?)

Its crazy to think Nintendos new System might be 10 times weaker than the competition.

Its a generation or two behinde in terms of power, but its portable instead.

So many rumors.

We need facts, 5 months to launch we should know for sure what the heck it is they are launching.

Around the Network

Keeping it secret so long they make people even more interested in and talking about it, IMVHO if it's a marketing choice, it's working well, if they do it just out of paranoia, well, they're lucky and it's working for marketing too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Keeping it secret so long they make people even more interested in and talking about it, IMVHO if it's a marketing choice, it's working well, if they do it just out of paranoia, well, they're lucky and it's working for marketing too.

Its kinda working but not really.... it gets alot of talk, but its all just speculation.

Its not what results in sales.

Also thats just on gameing forums... amoung the mass consumers, I doubt most have heard of the NX or know its releaseing in 5months.

And without knowing what it is, how can they know if they want to buy it?

I dont think its "working".

Yerm said:

Waiting for the NX is starting to make me angry. We have 6 months left to wait for this thing, and nothing has been offically announced. Well, we got one solid statement from Nintendo. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is going to be multiplatform on the Wii U and NX. also the NX wont have any graphical improvements over the Wii U, so that isnt very promising.

And so far Nintendo has stated that they are avoiding announcing it too early because they are scared of imitators. and to that i have to say this - bullshit.

at this point it is hurting them more than benefiting them by keeping the NX a secret. people want to know what they are buying, or will potentially buy. and holding it back for this long is starting to make people look in other directions. why wait to see what the NX is when the PS4 Pro with 4K upscaling is coming out soon? or what about the Xbox One Slim that fixes all the problems of the normal model and is more affordable? or what about the 3DS which is older, has a wider library, and has more support than the Wii U ever has, and is from the same company. really, what are they gaining from just not telling us what it is?

Nintendo never said that.

If you look history MS and espacly Sony very oftten copied Nintendo.

You said itself, PS4 Pro is revealed only two months before launch.

We live in time when you really don't need to reveal your product more than year before launch, around 6 months is more than enuf for new platform.

Patient, we will most likely have NX reveal sometime in next 4-5 weeks.

Perhaps there's a feature that Sony (or someone) could implement via software, as they did with off tv play, to steal some of Nintendo's thunder.

Around the Network
Yerm said:

Waiting for the NX is starting to make me angry. We have 6 months left to wait for this thing, and nothing has been offically announced.

That's really your problem, Nintendo isn't forcing you to be angry about it, you decided that on your own. Ask yourself if you're being rational? The date of officially unveiling it is rather arbitrary, the date that matters is the launch date. Whether it is announced today or next year isn't going to change what the device ends up being.

The benefit is creating a media buzz that carries it through until launch. If it is too far in advance, then they run the risk of buzz fizzling out before launch. This way, they simplify the marketing approach, and most currently successful tech companies do not announce products so distantly in advance, many only weeks to days prior to launch. Many media outlets will be talking about it close to launch rather than a long time before, and not close to launch, which lowers its presence in the public view.

The NX has the hurdle of the holiday season between present time and launch. In my opinion, the ideal time to announce is early January, after the holiday mania, and when people are looking to new things for 2017. An unveiling then would be much more impactful than an unveiling in he summer the previous year.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I think they should announce it before the holiday shopping spree.
Prevent holiday shoppers from getting a Playstation or Xbox for their kids.

If they dont do that, it could cost them sales.
Announceing it in January is too late, it wont have enough time for marketing/word of mouth to really reach the masses I think. Marketing departments need more than 2 full months to market the NX , its a new concept, you want to get the messageing right with it.

To make the announcement more special.

JRPGfan said:

I think they should announce it before the holiday shopping spree.
Prevent holiday shoppers from getting a Playstation or Xbox for their kids.

If they dont do that, it could cost them sales.
Announceing it in January is too late, it wont have enough time for marketing/word of mouth to really reach the masses I think. Marketing departments need more than 2 full months to market the NX , its a new concept, you want to get the messageing right with it.

How is that going to work? Announcing a future product preventing the purchase of a current product. It doesn't, their no logical reason a parent would behave that way. Parents aren't getting their children IOUs for Christmas.

Why would they need more than 2 months to market? What disadvantage does having 2 months instead of 6 months have? New tech products seem to launch with spectacular results with days prior, and new smart devices are somewhat more complex in their application than videogame consoles are.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm just hoping whatever it ends up being, it makes me want to own it. Unlike the Wii U. First Nintendo console that i never bought.