By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What benefit does keeping the NX a secret still have?

JRPGfan said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Keeping it secret so long they make people even more interested in and talking about it, IMVHO if it's a marketing choice, it's working well, if they do it just out of paranoia, well, they're lucky and it's working for marketing too.

Its kinda working but not really.... it gets alot of talk, but its all just speculation.

Its not what results in sales.

Also thats just on gameing forums... amoung the mass consumers, I doubt most have heard of the NX or know its releaseing in 5months.

And without knowing what it is, how can they know if they want to buy it?

I dont think its "working".

They'll launch it in March 2017, that's in 6 months if it will be in the second half, anyway, 5 or 6 months doesn't change much, but they cannot start advertising and PR full steam before Xmas 2016, otherwise they'd kill Xmas sales of current products.
I expect revelations and advertising to really start next January, and probably more hints than now already in the next months, but not so many to spoil 3DS Xmas sales.
Yes, Internet awareness isn't  equal to full mass awareness, but nowadays it's already become quite close to it.
Not to mention that launching in March, NX will have two big marketing campaigns in its first year, for launch and for Xmas 2017.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Giving us the chance to make a new rumour each day and we can hold on to the idea of the NX being the best (Nintendo) console of all time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

So... they should have announced it as everyone was focusing on the new PS4? That's a brilliant strategy. I'd be fine not hearing anything about the NX until January. That month is Deadzilla as far as gaming goes, so they will have everyone's undivided attention. And then they can steamroll market the heck out of the machine, building up hype for 2-3 months before it gets released.

NNID: TanukiTrooper - PSN: MatrosRx - STEAM: TanukiTrooper

Alby_da_Wolf said:
JRPGfan said:

Its kinda working but not really.... it gets alot of talk, but its all just speculation.

Its not what results in sales.

Also thats just on gameing forums... amoung the mass consumers, I doubt most have heard of the NX or know its releaseing in 5months.

And without knowing what it is, how can they know if they want to buy it?

I dont think its "working".

They'll launch it in March 2017, that's in 6 months if it will be in the second half, anyway, 5 or 6 months doesn't change much, but they cannot start advertising and PR full steam before Xmas 2016, otherwise they'd kill Xmas sales of current products.
I expect revelations and advertising to really start next January, and probably more hints than now already in the next months, but not so many to spoil 3DS Xmas sales.
Yes, Internet awareness isn't  equal to full mass awareness, but nowadays it's already become quite close to it.
Not to mention that launching in March, NX will have two big marketing campaigns in its first year, for launch and for Xmas 2017.

There is one problem, will people get the concept of the NX in time. You can release a PS5 and announce it a month before it launches and over a million per orders are placed none the less.

There NX is a different story it's a new concept and for this moment we don't know how it works. Nintendo should take the time explaining what the NX is, how powerful it is, how it works and why we shold buy one, Zelda alone is not gping to do it. If they don't do that they could have another Wii U failure or at least something comparable to the Xone launch.

MatrosRx said:
So... they should have announced it as everyone was focusing on the new PS4? That's a brilliant strategy. I'd be fine not hearing anything about the NX until January. That month is Deadzilla as far as gaming goes, so they will have everyone's undivided attention. And then they can steamroll market the heck out of the machine, building up hype for 2-3 months before it gets released.

The NX is more relevant and important than a new PS4 though. Besides with all these PS exclusives bring delayed January might become intresting after all. Sacrificing a holiday is never a very good idea though. I doubt many 3DS or Wii U units will be sold this Christmas.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
VAMatt said:

Yes, this seems likely.   The only other reason I can think of is that they don't want to say anything until they can also announce a strong lineup of games in the launch window.  Maybe they're not at that point yet.  Maybe they're trying to bring more third parties on board, or something along those lines.  

very possible-  it just feels like they are not ready yet, that there are 1 or more aspects of the NX and or its lineup that thet are not comfortable with yet

Point is that today you relly dont need more than around 6 monts to revile your console before launch , XB1 was revealed 6 monts before launch, PS4 Pro only 2 monts before launch, today companies want shorter time before revile and launch of product, it has much better effect, you can easily mantine hype and interest from revile to launch.

Wii U was revield one year before launch, and had teribile revile, first impresion and marketing, with NX they dont need to revile it too soon and they already said they have new "concept" and "new way of playing", so from that side they also want to predict NX, very strong NX NDA (sources saying NDA is stronger than ever before) proves that. Curently is all about right timint of revile, I am sure NX will be revile sometime in next 4-5 weeks.

It's not really doing Nintendo any favors. I wish they would just reveal it already... I fear if they wait too long, they're have to delay the release of the console, and I don't really want that.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

thismeintiel said:
Nautilus said:
The first paragraph is so wrong that I wont comment on that.

To the rest, it has happened many times before.The analog stick, motion controls, controller general scheme.All came from Nintendo.Just because Sony is winning now wont mean they wont notice what their competitors are doing.

Sony is the one who reintroduced (they were used on the Atari 5200 and Vectrex) analog sticks as we know them today, as well as the dual stick EVERYONE uses now.  No one copied the tech used in the N64 controller, not even Nintendo.  Sony was also the one who reintroduced motion controls (again something that dates back to the Atari) back on the PS2, including developing, though never releasing, a controller the Eyetoy could track. Now, I will concede that the success of the Wii is what prompted them to actually continue developing and release the Move. Oh, and here's the Vectrex controller, a system that launched 8 months before the NES.

Look familiar? No? Replace the 1 with Select and the 2 with Start, then add a Dpad where the analog stick is. Uh oh? Nintendo copies confirmed. See, anyone can play that game.

Yes, clearly Sony copied Atari in '97.

Actually that is a good example of why Nintendo is being secretive.  It took Sony one year to implement Analog, and similar time for Sony and MS to implement motion. Announcing a new innovation now could give MS enough time to include it with Scorpio.

No point in showing your cards too early, competition can and will copy a promising idea. Also we know how fast news spread nowadays, so there really is no significant problem in having the reveal a little bit closer to the actual launch. Keep in mind that while March 2017 is the first target, the launch date isn´t set in stone yet

TheLastStarFighter said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony is the one who reintroduced (they were used on the Atari 5200 and Vectrex) analog sticks as we know them today, as well as the dual stick EVERYONE uses now.  No one copied the tech used in the N64 controller, not even Nintendo.  Sony was also the one who reintroduced motion controls (again something that dates back to the Atari) back on the PS2, including developing, though never releasing, a controller the Eyetoy could track. Now, I will concede that the success of the Wii is what prompted them to actually continue developing and release the Move. Oh, and here's the Vectrex controller, a system that launched 8 months before the NES.

Look familiar? No? Replace the 1 with Select and the 2 with Start, then add a Dpad where the analog stick is. Uh oh? Nintendo copies confirmed. See, anyone can play that game.

Yes, clearly Sony copied Atari in '97.

Actually that is a good example of why Nintendo is being secretive.  It took Sony one year to implement Analog, and similar time for Sony and MS to implement motion. Announcing a new innovation now could give MS enough time to include it with Scorpio.

It wasn't just motion controls that saved the day with Wii, it was motion controls, a killer game, and a low asking point of entry into the experience. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) Sony didn't copy that.