By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To Be Honest XB1 Graphics Would More Than Enough For Nintendo

I guess i wasn't clear.

If you have a dock with the same SoC, why not just make it a console. Basically a dock that can be standalone console?

Another option is, to throwout the SoC and turn the dock into a cooler, just a dock with a fan and mayber heatsink. This would allow the handheld to clock higher and go beyond it's thermal limits. Its cheaper and provide a more liniear boost in performace than a "add-on"?

Sure, their handheld, especially one that could connect with a TV would sell better than a console. But we are talking about a unified patform here with other possible form factors. Also possible unique feature to attract their intended target audiences. So, couldn't we just lump all sales as one just like Vita and PSTV?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

It's sad we never really got to see what the Wii U could do. I mean, an open world Zelda game with the biggest Zelda map to date employing modern effects, it's quite obvious they only really scratched the surface of what Wii U games could do. 

I think Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade are basically the upper tier of what's possible on Wii U, so that's baiscally that. Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad are probably the other two visual showcases. 

Nintendo systems are designed after the N64 to be pretty easy to get most of the power out of. 

But you'll notice two different results based on two different approaches in game design. The others Bayo and CPT Toad, probably fell short if their potential due to deadlines and budgets. Year one and two games are hardly ever reach the best graphics a console can handle.

Just like 360 hardware is behind. They're a gen behind, and it is going to hurt them badly.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

nomad said:

I guess i wasn't clear.

If you have a dock with the same SoC, why not just make it a console. Basically a dock that can be standalone console?

Another option is, to throwout the SoC and turn the dock into a cooler, just a dock with a fan and mayber heatsink. This would allow the handheld to clock higher and go beyond it's thermal limits. Its cheaper and provide a more liniear boost in performace than a "add-on"?

Sure, their handheld, especially one that could connect with a TV would sell better than a console. But we are talking about a unified patform here with other possible form factors. Also possible unique feature to attract their intended target audiences. So, couldn't we just lump all sales as one just like Vita and PSTV?

Well you could save money on the dock by not having to include the RAM for example. 

That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea if an optional dock had its own SoC and could even play games at home on the TV in a pinch if you needed it to. 

Especially as the chip Nintendo is using scales down in price, you could have a performance boost when both are docked together and then in a situation where brother 1 wants to play the portable and take it with him to school, little brother 2 can still play his game of Mario Kart at home. Graphics wouldn't be quite as good, but it's not a bad setup especially in a household with kids. 

At first they could sell it seperately (portable console and dock) and as the years go on, they could maybe sell them together once costs drop. 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

It's sad we never really got to see what the Wii U could do. I mean, an open world Zelda game with the biggest Zelda map to date employing modern effects, it's quite obvious they only really scratched the surface of what Wii U games could do. 

I think Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade are basically the upper tier of what's possible on Wii U, so that's baiscally that. Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad are probably the other two visual showcases. 

I'm in the middle; with further investment I do think a little more juice could have been squeezed out of the hardware, but I concur that stuff like Breath of the Wild is pushing pretty close to the Wii U's limit.

From a purely graphical POV, Fast Racing Neo also deserves a mention in my opinion. It's one of the only Wii U games to pull off Physically Based Rendering, and it does so at 60fps while also handling sharp textures, high quality motion blur and shadows, and a bunch of other nifty effects. It had to take a hit in resolution to pull it off, but its probably the single most advanced game on the system in terms of GPU utilization.

Frankly, Nintendo's games already look good enough on Wii U as far as I'm concerned.

Around the Network

Some areas of BoTW look great, but some areas you can tell they are hurtin' because they're held back by the Wii U hardware.

Soundwave said:
Some areas of BoTW look great, but some areas you can tell they are hurtin' because they're held back by the Wii U hardware.

Considering everything its got going on at once, from its laundry list of physics and interactivity, to subtle but expensive luxuries like realtime rather than cooked reflections, good quality depth of field and light shafts, ambient occlusion, etc, I think it looks about as good as one can reasonably expect from hardware that punches just slightly harder than PS3/360.

Given another two years or so of serious investment though, a little bit more wiggle room might have been possible. For instance, XCX seemed to already be straining at the hardware's limits, yet Breath of the Wild manages to improve upon it.

Soundwave said:
Poojipoo said:
If the NX is a handheld/tablet/hybrid as rumors have stated, we're likely looking at something between Wii U and Xbox One level graphics based on mobile SOCs currently or soon becoming available. Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat, they'll max out at around 800 gflops. 800 gflops would frankly be insanely impressive for a mobile device, but it's dependent on whether Nintendo goes with the newest chips or goes with something cheaper. That said, DMP, who supplied the 3DS PICA200, has the impressive M3000 ready, which would likely be cost effective for Nintendo. Hard to say.

The X2 is better than the M3000, at least that's what people are saying. 

Gimme one X2 in the portable, with the option of a home dockable congif with 2 "X2s". I'll take it and run Nintendo. 

Nintendo NX Portable Console - 1 Tegra X2 (625 GFLOP performance)

Nintendo NX + Supplement NX Home Dock - Has an Extra Tegra X2 processor for 1.3 TFLOP performance at about 35-40 watts. 

Guess there would be some inefficiencies with twin processors like that, but beggars can't be choosers. 

It's actually been really difficult to tell exactly how powerful the M3000 is because documentation is sparse and lacks details (not to mention it's in japanese).  Their release statement says that it is in XBox One/PS4 range in TFLOPs, but then their website makes a point saying 800 GFLOPs.  No sources say whether it's FP16 or FP32.  If it "can" be up in the TFLOPs, that suggests maybe it is only when using FP16, but when it's not maybe it's down closer to 800 GLFOPS?  Or maybe their TFLOPs claim is a total lie (which seems very strange) and it's actually 800 GFLOPs at FP16, bringing it down to 400.  Then finally, there's the confusion over whether thing thing is 28nm, which would be extra confusing.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what Nintendo can pull out of their hardware...

The dock seems only for transmiting the image for tv and for some more disk space(where you can plug other HDD).

I hope is wii U like power, and in the price range of 150 to 180$. Running zelda BotW like visuals and having pokemon, monster hunter and so on is more than enough for a handheld.

BTW Id miss FFXV and GTAVI, but NX can work better as a cheap handheld.

jonathanalis said:
The dock seems only for transmiting the image for tv and for some more disk space(where you can plug other HDD).

I hope is wii U like power, and in the price range of 150 to 180$. Running zelda BotW like visuals and having pokemon, monster hunter and so on is more than enough for a handheld.

BTW Id miss FFXV and GTAVI, but NX can work better as a cheap handheld.

A Monster Hunter with Wii U caliber graphics would be freaking sweet.

And yeah, if NX is what Eurogamer says, it needs to be cheap.