By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To Be Honest XB1 Graphics Would More Than Enough For Nintendo

bigtakilla said:
AZWification said:

A 3D Mario game with XB1 graphics would be simply amazing.

It's sad we never really got to see what the Wii U could do. I mean, an open world Zelda game with the biggest Zelda map to date employing modern effects, it's quite obvious they only really scratched the surface of what Wii U games could do. 

Indeed. It would have been interesting to see how a Metroid game would have looked on the WiiU!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I'd expect the handheld NX to be closer to WiiU than X1.
The whole dock boosting graphics thing is an impractical idea, assuming you guys are talking about another chipset in there. There's a problem of scaling and cost, it's not efficient. Nintendo might as well just release a more powerful home console that play the same games + handheld connectivity.
If you want performance boost, it'd be easier and cheaper to have a dock with a fan to cool the handheld. That way it could run at full power with out overheating and throttling. For example, the SoC would be limited to 5w for handheld, then run at 10W with proper cooling from a dock.

Nintendo would some kind of wonder machine at a low price and multiplats to even begin thinking about really entering Sony and MS's market.

Most of the times i can't tell when it's a PC or a XB1/PS4 game that i'm seeing.
XB1 power is more than enough for Nintendo and whatever 3rd parties join Nintendo.

MK8, 3D World and BoTW look amazing despite Wii U being clearly inferior to the competition.
Even if they release a console that's below Scorpio or PS4 Pro, the difference won't be so great anymore and games released on it will be awesome (nevermind Nintendo's own games!)

nomad said:
I'd expect the handheld NX to be closer to WiiU than X1.
The whole dock boosting graphics thing is an impractical idea, assuming you guys are talking about another chipset in there. There's a problem of scaling and cost, it's not efficient. Nintendo might as well just release a more powerful home console that play the same games + handheld connectivity.
If you want performance boost, it'd be easier and cheaper to have a dock with a fan to cool the handheld. That way it could run at full power with out overheating and throttling. For example, the SoC would be limited to 5w for handheld, then run at 10W with proper cooling from a dock.

Problem I don't think people really want to buy a seperate console version of a portable chip without the portability (see also: PSVita TV, I know Vita sold bad enough, but VitaTV sold far worse). 

Even with the GameCube and Wii U which were hugely more powerful than the GBA and 3DS, most Nintendo fans chose to only buy the handheld, by like an 80% margin at that. 

Although inefficiencies are sure to arise, I think the dock idea is better than putting a seperate console out. People will also look at it and say "wait so I need to spend $500 or both the handheld and console just for Nintendo games?". That's usually where that sales pitch falls apart. I think such a device would sell maybe 10-15 million units and then fizzle out. 

I think one major thing that Nintendo fans on the internet tend to be clueless about in terms of "regular" Nintendo buyers (let alone Playstation/XBox buyers) is that they *don't like* buying two Nintendo systems. It's not a bonus for most people. Wii only got away with it because it had the a miracle controller craze and even then Wii still was way outsold by the DS.

I think getting the two chips to work together might be a challenge, but I don't think the cost would be. If it was like literally a second version of the same SoC, likely Nintendo would get a very sweet price for on it, because the more you order of the same part, generally speaking the cheaper it gets, so they'd be using the same chip in their NX mobile console and SCD dock ... that's a pretty easy way to control cost. 

bigtakilla said:
AZWification said:

A 3D Mario game with XB1 graphics would be simply amazing.

It's sad we never really got to see what the Wii U could do. I mean, an open world Zelda game with the biggest Zelda map to date employing modern effects, it's quite obvious they only really scratched the surface of what Wii U games could do. 

I think Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade are basically the upper tier of what's possible on Wii U, so that's baiscally that. Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad are probably the other two visual showcases. 

Nintendo systems are designed after the N64 to be pretty easy to get most of the power out of. 

Around the Network

Wii U graphics are enough for the handheld form of the NX. Which will be the form with most success.

Maybe it would be more then enough for their games, but not for 3rd parties.

I'd love to see Reggie going on stage and introducing GTA VI and Elder Scrolls VI on next Nintendo console that is in the same ballpark as Scorpio...no secrecy, full specs like with PS4's reveal. Webz would be on fire.

sethnintendo said:
bigtakilla said:

I think in essence those were great ideas implemented poorly. Personally, I prefer the cost effective method of getting a cheaply priced add on that adds power to a system over having to buy two consoles every gen.

One that doesn't get much flak would be the N64 expansion pak.  It was only used for a few games though.  It would have been nice if the pak enchanced the graphics of all games that came out after its release but it only worked with a few.  Actually, after looking at the list on wiki it worked with more than I thought.

Essentially yes. Segas problem was they wanted to be the 1st to 32 bit graphics, but then seen that cds allowed for cutscenes which they wanted. In the end, they wanted both which was the Sega Saturn. The specs race killed them.

HoloDust said:

I'd love to see Reggie going on stage and introducing GTA VI and Elder Scrolls VI on next Nintendo console that is in the same ballpark as Scorpio...no secrecy, full specs like with PS4's reveal. Webz would be on fire.

You mean kinda like how Wii U versions of COD and Assassin's Creed lit the webz on fire. Or Madden NFL and NBA Street and Prince of Persia and even Resident Evil exclusive on GameCube. 

Nintendo would need the *best* versions of those games (better than Scorpio) to really get anyone's attention and there's very little chance Nintendo is making a 8 TFLOP $700 console that runs so hot it could heat a 9-year-old's room. 

Nintendo lost the COD/Elder Scrolls type crowd ages ago. Like probably right around the launch of the GameCube. 

Sony/MS took that audience over and they're not going to give it back, it's like letting a foreign invader take over your country and thinking 15 years later you think can just walk back in and have it back. Doesn't work like that. 

Nintendo needed to fight Sony and MS tooth and nail for that audience with the N64 and in particular the GameCube, but they failed miserably with the GameCube and these are the consequences. They needed to beat the shit out of the first XBox at minimum and teach Microsoft not to come mess on their turf. They didn't do that, instead MS gained confidence by being able to outsell Nintendo right off the bat with a system they basically quickly just slapped together. And now they're not willing to leave the gaming market. 

This is where Apple and Google are smart, they beat the living shit out of Windows Phone so bad that now Microsoft doesn't even dare challenge them, that's how you got to be when you want to protect your marketshare. Nintendo wasn't, they were half-drunk with the GameCube. 

Soundwave said:
HoloDust said:

You mean kinda like how Wii U versions of COD and Assassin's Creed lit the webz on fire. Or Madden NFL and NBA Street and Prince of Persia and even Resident Evil exclusive on GameCube. 

Nintendo would need the *best* versions of those games (better than Scorpio) to really get anyone's attention and there's very little chance Nintendo is making a 8 TFLOP $700 console that runs so hot it could heat a 9-year-old's room. 

Nintendo lost the COD/Elder Scrolls type crowd ages ago. Like probably right around the launch of the GameCube. 

Sony/MS took that audience over and they're not going to give it back, it's like letting a foreign invader take over your country and thinking 15 years later you think can just walk back in and have it back. Doesn't work like that. 

Nintendo needed to fight Sony and MS tooth and nail for that audience with the N64 and in particular the GameCube, but they failed miserably with the GameCube and these are the consequences. They needed to beat the shit out of the first XBox at minimum and teach Microsoft not to come mess on their turf. They didn't do that, instead MS gained confidence by being able to outsell Nintendo right off the bat with a system they basically quickly just slapped together. And now they're not willing to leave the gaming market. 

This is where Apple and Google are smart, they beat the living shit out of Windows Phone so bad that now Microsoft doesn't even dare challenge them, that's how you got to be when you want to protect your marketshare. Nintendo wasn't, they were half-drunk with the GameCube. 

You're talking inferior or late ports, I'm talking next GTA/TES being revealed on Nintendo stage...which implies serious moneyhatting..because they can do it, and if they want MSony audience, they need to do it, along with powerful console and few new inhouse IPs that catter to that audience...pretty much change of direction in home console space, while doing what they're doing in handheld/mobile market.