By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm officially a PC gamer.

zero129 said:
Bandorr said:

I used to Play FF11 on the ps2. That involved me needing to use a keyboard (or hunt and peck each letter using a controller). It was not enjoyable. It was highly awkward,required battery changing, and finding a play to put the keyboard out of the way yet still close. I would never do that again.

I think I also had to use a wireless mouse maybe? I can't remember - but I didn't like it if I had to.

I also think if this wasn't "PS vs PC" zero would have given up a long time ago.

You really see it like that?. So a person says they are a PC gamer it = PC vs Console?.

No, he's just saying that's what you've turned this into, though it seems more of a "Console vs PC".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Hey OP, I hope you're ready for Steam spam, and the worst thing is that their customer service sucks. I don't play games that use Steam, I avoid it as much as possible because I prefer games that work the old fashion way, and there is plenty of them. Ex. Star Citizen, Black Desert Online, FFXIV, etc etc

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=198803&page=-1#1

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
zero129 said:
Azuren said:

No, we're talking about using a computer from a couch, you're just trying to change the direction of the debate because you know using a computer from a couch sucks.

And it can't do the exact same thing because BPM doesn't have streaming services built into it, nor can it switch between all of its tasks seamlessly. 

And you keep saying "use this", "use that"... How about I use a console, and avoid having to download a bunch of extra junk on my PC and buy a bunch of crap just to have it run halfway as efficiently from a couch as a console would while also tying up my PC? How about instead of overcomplicated the couch experience (which, at its core, is supposed to be simple), I just use a product designed to do so from the start?

Yes and you can use Steams Big Picture mode from the couch just the same as you use a PS4.

However if you want to do extra things like i said clearly you will need something like a wireless keyboard and mouse or a Steam Controller set up as one.

You can also add them programs you mention to steam and they can then be launched from Steams Big Picture mode.

And yes Steams Big Picture mode does have Steaming build in or how was i watching Youtube on it a few minutes ago?.

And no i dont keep using "Use this" or "Use that" im simply saying if "you want the best of both worlds" you can simply use a steam link.

And yes you dont need to obercomplicate things thats what Steam Link is for if you need your pc for other uses then gaming.

Azuren said:

No, he's just saying that's what you've turned this into, though it seems more of a "Console vs PC".

No thats what you turned it into. we can go back and look who started what first if you like?

Just want to note, hey, I do need a keyboard and mouse. So you mean all those points I made about switch back and forth are valid?

Can't find any way to put Netflix in BPM. Not without stability-compromising usermods, anyway.

Yes, you actually are doing that. "Use Big Picture Mode", "Use Steam Link"; Again, I'll just use what was designed to do it in the first place instead of buying more crap.

And yes, it is overcomplicating when I have to set a bunch of crap up or buy extra crap just to do what my console does better.

Oh, and since you asked:

zero129 said:

You dont use Steams Big Picture mode?. That makes it pretty easy to switch between games and using the internet on big picture mode is pretty much the same as using it on a console (Even better imo). However it wouldnt be really hard to pick up your wireless keyboard if you had to use it to type.

Right there.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Oh, and since you asked:

Right there.

So then it didnt start with this?

Azuren said:

Just chiming in as someone who is actually typing this from his couch on his computer because he doesn't have a monitor or desk:

It really sucks pretty hard. You need a good desk chair to do any kind of real typing, much less play competitively with a KB/M. And then when you switch to controller, you lose that KB/M edge and now you're flipping between two different modes of input: keyboard/mouse for typing and click, and controller for gaming. So yeah, you can. But as someone who does because he has no other option? I highly recommend going back to your desk.

Ya know thats what my reply originly was to.

As to the rest of your reply.

Look at it like this.

Person A: Comes home uses pc to do work turns on consoles plays game.

Person B: Comes home uses Pc to do work turns on Steam Link Plays game.

Person C: Comes home turns on PC plays game.

Now one again what one of them 3 options can be used for both work and playing games and in the end giving you the best of both worlds as long as you dont mind missing out on Sony Exclusives?.

keep digging anyways the unbiased people are watching .

Yeah, it actually didn't because I was just talking about using a PC on the couch. You were the one that turned it into Console vs PC.

I literally know no one that comes home to play games on Steam Link, and last I checked with my friend who manages a GameStop, they sell about as fast as ass-flavored hotcakes.

And your arguments are just so eratic now its hard to really keep them all straight now. Are you suggesting there are an equal number of people on Steam Link as console? Are you also suggesting that every gamer comes home and has an important enough job that they have work to do on their computer? Are you also suggesting that those same people with important jobs have the self-control to put their games in the same place they do that important work? I mean, I can see some doing that, yeah, but the example you gave is the most biased, one-way example you could have possibly given. Here's a much more likely scenerio for you:

Person A: Comes home and sits on the couch to play a video game on his/her console.

Person B: Has a Steam Link for the novelty of it, but goes to his/her desk where they can properly play all of their PC games.

Person C: Didn't waste money on a Steam Link, and just goes to their desk to play PC.

And yes, yes they are. The irony is who they're watching.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Yeah, it actually didn't because I was just talking about using a PC on the couch. You were the one that turned it into Console vs PC.

I literally know no one that comes home to play games on Steam Link, and last I checked with my friend who manages a GameStop, they sell about as fast as ass-flavored hotcakes.

And your arguments are just so eratic now its hard to really keep them all straight now. Are you suggesting there are an equal number of people on Steam Link as console? Are you also suggesting that every gamer comes home and has an important enough job that they have work to do on their computer? Are you also suggesting that those same people with important jobs have the self-control to put their games in the same place they do that important work? I mean, I can see some doing that, yeah, but the example you gave is the most biased, one-way example you could have possibly given. Here's a much more likely scenerio for you:

Person A: Comes home and sits on the couch to play a video game on his/her console.

Person B: Has a Steam Link for the novelty of it, but goes to his/her desk where they can properly play all of their PC games.

Person C: Didn't waste money on a Steam Link, and just goes to their desk to play PC.

And yes, yes they are. The irony is who they're watching.

Ok so let me get this stright.. so me asking you did you not use Steams Big Picture mode, something that will allow you to use your PC like a console on the TV is turning it into a "console vs PC" Argument?. Why is that?, since it went against you biased opinion of using PC on the couch?.

I also explained to you that if you have to use your PC for work or other things clearly using it on your TV is not the best thing, and for that you could use something like a Steam Link giving you the best of both worlds.Is this so hard to understand?.

Also im suggesting nothing. This just shows how your looking at this if your seeing things that has not even been said. PC really does scare you so much?

Yes they are watching you. It should be clear to you that anyone who has really used both knows your adding much more to it and making it out to look much worse then it really is.

Why do you do this to every conversation?

You do mental gymnastics to act like you didn't start anything, despite you clearly starting it, all while constantly pushing your own vision of the perfect gaming platform on other people. I've already given you reasons why I don't like it, and instead of saying "Oh, okay, well I like it" you have to keep trying to make me like it.

You make comments like "PC really does scare you this much" and "keep digging anyways the unbiased people are watching " like you're some kind of savant at debating, but all it does is give an unnecessary obnoxious flare to your demeanor. And then you keep going, like you're championing some kind of underdog and you can do no wrong.

Zero, stop.

I simply added my two cents to a conversation about using a PC from a TV (which I am still doing and fucking hate), and you've turned it, yet again, into a console vs PC debate. I didn't even mention consoles until you compared them three fucking times, dude, and even then all I said was "Because the best of both worlds is actually both worlds, not pretending one can efficiently do both?"

I'm not here to talk about consoles. I didn't bring up consoles at all. Why the hell are you bringing them up?

Around the Network

I absolutely have no problems using my PC while lying on couch. As Zero said do not try to WORK on PC while lying, especially when you need to type a lot or modelling something precisely etc. I organized my living room so that now I can play and browse internet browsers lying with ease.

1. I can conveniently browse Internet using wireless mouse, read news, articles, forums etc.

2. I can instantly watch video files, any av coding, any container.

3. I can easily listening to music from any service, from preferable audio player any playlists, quickly making queues etc.

4. I can play turn-based games with wireless mouse very conveniently.

5. I can play any other game with Xbox/Steam/(or even DS4) controller in Big Picture mode.

---All of that while LYING on my couch.

It depends of the situation and organization.

So I picked a coffee table with specific height so the arm while using mouse was situated parallel to the floor and checked that the table isnt blocking the part of screen while lying and watching. I have wireless mouse. System DPI setting is 125%. Chrome is set to 150% page zoom.

6. I can type while sitting.

7. I still can play with k&m while sitting.

8. I still have a PCs in other room with kvm switch, monitor and chair. And as Zero said you can easily use Steam Link for your TV if needed (if you can't handle two pcs or dont want to).

zero129 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Hey OP, I hope you're ready for Steam spam, and the worst thing is that their customer service sucks. I don't play games that use Steam, I avoid it as much as possible because I prefer games that work the old fashion way, and there is plenty of them. Ex. Star Citizen, Black Desert Online, FFXIV, etc etc

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=198803&page=-1#1

So someone tried to hack you steam account and you post that here?.

I like how he used MMO exalples that have their own launchers, all that require their own invidiual updates (besides SC which isn't an MMO).

He must have a small libary of games if he chooses to never use Steam along with all the other clients out there. OP won't have his folder spammed like this guy though. 

Also wtf is with that fugly UI?, and who even uses AOL these days?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BasilZero said:
TomaTito said:

What was your first console? I got my Gameboy back in 1990

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4461856

Been PC gaming on and off since '93 through 9 PCs, although these past two gens I haven't been much of what people consider a PC gamer, just play a few digital games here and there on my laptop. Mobile gaming I started way back in '02 with the Nokia s40 series

And I also agree, it's never white and black, just shades of grey.

The Super Nintendo back in 1991!

1991 - SNES
1998 - N64
1998 - first PC (non-gaming)
1999 - Game boy color
2001 - Game boy Advance
2001 - Gamecube
2003 - Playstation 2
2003 - second PC (non-gaming)
2005 - PSP
2007 - Nintendo DS Lite
2007 - First laptop (non-gaming)
2008 - Nintendo Wii
2010 - third PC (non-gaming, but became one later)
2011 - Playstation 3
2012 - PC Upgrade via GFX card
2012 - iPhone 5
2013 - 3DS XL
2014 - Second laptop (gaming laptop)
2014 - WiiU
2015 - iPhone 6 Plus
2015 - Playstation 4

Awesome chronology!!! You must be proud ;)

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

antigin said:

I absolutely have no problems using my PC while lying on couch. As Zero said do not try to WORK on PC while lying, especially when you need to type a lot or modelling something precisely etc. I organized my living room so that now I can play and browse internet browsers lying with ease.

1. I can conveniently browse Internet using wireless mouse, read news, articles, forums etc.

2. I can instantly watch video files, any av coding, any container.

3. I can easily listening to music from any service, from preferable audio player any playlists, quickly making queues etc.

4. I can play turn-based games with wireless mouse very conveniently.

5. I can play any other game with Xbox/Steam/(or even DS4) controller in Big Picture mode.

---All of that while LYING on my couch.

It depends of the situation and organization.

So I picked a coffee table with specific height so the arm while using mouse was situated parallel to the floor and checked that the table isnt blocking the part of screen while lying and watching. I have wireless mouse. System DPI setting is 125%. Chrome is set to 150% page zoom.

6. I can type while sitting.

7. I still can play with k&m while sitting.

8. I still have a PCs in other room with kvm switch, monitor and chair. And as Zero said you can easily use Steam Link for your TV if needed (if you can't handle two pcs or dont want to).

That's pretty much my setup in a lot of ways.

My current PCs :

Halftop (got a laptop with a broken screen for free, so I simply removed the entire screen enclosure lol). Was an HP 15" something or other model, this sits on my dresser and hooks up to my bedroom TV for a media player/etc while in bed, and as it has some midrange radeon in it, it can run modest indie games and even things like BF3 at reasonable levels of performance. I usually just watch netflix/youtube or whatever on this system though, so it's not too important. I got a Corsair 128GB SSD for this running Windows 10 Home.

Living room HTPC/Gaming. This is an i7-4770 (non-K) with 16GB DDR3-1866 and a GTX970, with a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and 4TB HDD. With this is a logitech K830 touchpad/keyboard that is outstanding for a media interface, along with a hidden USB extension that rises to my coffee table. The height is adjustable on the table, so for FPS/etc I can adjust and get it right for a gaming session. Windows 10 Home here as well. Haven't bought a 4K TV yet, or plan to very soon.

Work PC/Gaming PC. This is an i7-4790K with 32GB DDR3-2400, GTX1070, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, and a pair of 2TB HDDs. 27" 2560x1440 main display and a pair of 1920x1200s on the sides for multitasking work. Win10 Pro here.

All of that is connected variously by LAN or Wireless AC depending on device, and I built a drivebender PC with a bunch of random drives thrown together to give me 15TB of share space, mapped as X over the network for all of my systems as well as my smartphone. I have set my most important data on this share to be duplicated across drives, although it all appears as one drive letter.

Anyway, PC gaming from a couch is defintely not impossible or even all that challenging if you want to make it happen. I think it really depends on your mindset from the outset. If you want it to work, it's not hard to achieve, if you don't, there ya go. I prefer my 1440P setup to the couch for gaming personally though, so I mostly use my couch setup for watching movies/net browsing, or games where I use a controller (fighting/racing/platformers), and save the games that I prefer top-tier graphics/competitiveness for my desktop system. If my TV was capable of 144hz and 1440p, I might feel differently, but 1080P/60 is a pretty big downgrade.

Just completed upgrading my PC for VR (picked up the new Titan X gpu) and really, at this point there's just exceptionally few worthwhile non-nintendo games that don't eventually make their way to the PC. If it wasn't for my friends not having PC's and having only consoles (Xbox360 last time, PS4 this time), I'm not sure how interested I'd be in them anymore. I will, of course, keep buying Nintendo consoles though, as they're always a completely unique experience. ;)

That said, in this coming generation (let's be honest, Pro and Scorpio are the next gen consoles) the Scorpio actually looks like a pretty solid option from what we've heard so far. I hope to talk my friends into switching back to the Xbox with that one unless the Sony VR really impresses the hell out of me.