By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm officially a PC gamer.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Just chiming in as someone who is actually typing this from his couch on his computer because he doesn't have a monitor or desk:

It really sucks pretty hard. You need a good desk chair to do any kind of real typing, much less play competitively with a KB/M. And then when you switch to controller, you lose that KB/M edge and now you're flipping between two different modes of input: keyboard/mouse for typing and click, and controller for gaming. So yeah, you can. But as someone who does because he has no other option? I highly recommend going back to your desk.

I think your doing it wrong. "If" its a thing you really want to use your Mouse and Keyboard for gaming on your TV then you need to buy a little lap stand thing or use your coffe table (Thats what i use sometimes). However in console style games you should be fine with a Joypad. Games like Fifa, Rocket League, Hell Even BO3 since it has that same kinda auto aim thing consoles versions have to take away the edge of Kb+M players somewhat.

I've tried several products to make it more bearable. TV dinner stand, Laptop couch buddies, I've even tried on of those ridiculous PC Gamer not-just-a-cushion-with-a-tray things.  You unfortunately NEED either good posture or forward-leaning bad posture to game or type. Typing while relaxing is slow and bad.

And regardless of whether or not the game supports gamepad aim-correct, you still need a keyboard handy to type or switch games.

And again, I'm actually doing this right now. Anyone who tells you it's viable hasn't tried it, has tried it for only a day as a proof of concept ("See, I can play on my TV from the couch.... now where's my desk?"), or is absolutely insane.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Azuren said:

I've tried several products to make it more bearable. TV dinner stand, Laptop couch buddies, I've even tried on of those ridiculous PC Gamer not-just-a-cushion-with-a-tray things.  You unfortunately NEED either good posture or forward-leaning bad posture to game or type. Typing while relaxing is slow and bad.

And regardless of whether or not the game supports gamepad aim-correct, you still need a keyboard handy to type or switch games.

And again, I'm actually doing this right now. Anyone who tells you it's viable hasn't tried it, has tried it for only a day as a proof of concept ("See, I can play on my TV from the couch.... now where's my desk?"), or is absolutely insane.

You dont use Steams Big Picture mode?. That makes it pretty easy to switch between games and using the internet on big picture mode is pretty much the same as using it on a console (Even better imo). However it wouldnt be really hard to pick up your wireless keyboard if you had to use it to type.

I don't like Steams Big Picture mode. And no, it's not too big of a deal to pick up the keyboard, but it does interupt the flow of the experience and makes it painfully obvious that it is best used from a desk, not a couch.

Just for the record, I never said I was leaving console gaming altogether, just that I plan to invest more into PC gaming since my new computer is capable of running the modern games.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

I don't like Steams Big Picture mode. And no, it's not too big of a deal to pick up the keyboard, but it does interupt the flow of the experience and makes it painfully obvious that it is best used from a desk, not a couch.

Err Steams Big Picture mode is every bit as good if not better then the PS4 os Interface imo.

So is XB1, but I don't like it. And I don't care for user-made customization options, either, since they more often than not just break stuff. 

Then there's the fact that I do more than Steam and Web browsing on my computer, and you start getting way too deep in that "It totally kinda works" user-made zone.

It's just all uncomfortable and not worth it. So I repeat: I actually do this, and I fucking hate it. It is in no way as intuitive and seemless as a console when used from a couch, and people who defend otherwise do so from the superior PC comfort of their desks.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

So is XB1, but I don't like it. And I don't care for user-made customization options, either, since they more often than not just break stuff. 

Then there's the fact that I do more than Steam and Web browsing on my computer, and you start getting way too deep in that "It totally kinda works" user-made zone.

It's just all uncomfortable and not worth it. So I repeat: I actually do this, and I fucking hate it. It is in no way as intuitive and seemless as a console when used from a couch, and people who defend otherwise do so from the superior PC comfort of their desks.

I agree with you. If you are using your PC for other things then gaming such as work then yes a Desk would be the best option.

However if your a console gamer and you just want that same console like experience well then a PC is every bit as usable on a couch as it is on a desk and is just as simple and easy to use on a couch as a console since with Steams Big Picture mode it turns your PC into a console..

But! why not have the best of both worlds?. Buy a Steamlink for your TV so you can use your PC as a console when your at the TV.

And then use your Desk when you need to work. Problem solved.

Because the best of both worlds is actually both worlds, not pretending one can efficiently do both? 

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
GOWTLOZ said:

You should have got a better GPU. That's weaker than a PS4 Pro's GPU and without the same level of optimisation.

Well the good thing about PCs is that he can always get a new graphics cards as long as it fits. 

Pemalite said:
GOWTLOZ said:

You should have got a better GPU. That's weaker than a PS4 Pro's GPU and without the same level of optimisation.

It's pre-built.
And for 1080P a Geforce 960 will still happily play every single game you throw at it just fine.

Great thing about PC is you don't need console-level GPU's to enjoy a game, he can upgrade in a year or two's time when he becomes more limited.

I know that. But that makes his decision to go with PC over Pro a bit weird as you would think someone would do that for a better graphical experience.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Because the best of both worlds is actually both worlds, not pretending one can efficiently do both? 

So its better to pretend one cant do both?.

Exactly what can your console do when its plugged into a TV that makes it so much easier then using Steams Big Picture mode when plugged into a TV?.

Unlike consoles a PC can give "The Best of both worlds" the is no pretending here. if you dont like any of the console exclusives and If you have a good enough PC for both work and playing games why would you need a console too?.

Efficiently and seamlessly? No, it can't.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Efficiently and seamlessly? No, it can't.

Yes it can. It might be upsitting to you to know that a PC can give you the best of both worlds but its impossible for a console to do it. So i understand why you try to downplay this so much. But i ask you once again. What can your console do that a pc hooked up to a TV using Steams Big Picture mode cant?.

Not be a clunky mess.

Again, I'm actually doing this. Until you've used a computer from a couch for an extended period of time, your opinion will fall short every time.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

Not be a clunky mess.

Again, I'm actually doing this. Until you've used a computer from a couch for an extended period of time, your opinion will fall short every time.

Whats a clunky mess about it?

Again i believe you are but once again you admited your not using Steams Big Picture mode.

So i ask you once again. When it comes down to it. What exactly does your PS4 do that a PC hooked up to a TV using Steams Big Picture mode doesnt?.

And remember, im pretty sure the is plenty of other PC users and console users who used Steams Big Picture mode in the last few months are looking at this right now and they know im right. So its up to you how you want to make yourself look to them. As the bitter fan who has to lie? or as a real user who can admit that Steam Big Picture mode does everything a PS console can do as long as you dont mind missing out on PS exclusives.

Also going by your question here ill remember this anytime you say anything about how "no one will buy an xbox one since you can play the games on pc" .

I've used it, and I don't like it. I do too much on my computer to limit myself to games and web browsers (and with a gamepad, no less). Conversely, when I'm using my PS4, I can quickly switch back and forth from Netflix, to game to Vue, so on and so forth. BPM, as far as I can tell, doesn't do that.

And I'm pretty sure most of those same users you're referring to aren't actually sitting on their couch with a keyboard. 

And I never said no one will buy an XB1 since you can play those games on PC. Recently I even toyed with the thought of getting one myself on the forums here in light of the news that PS4Pro wouldn't have a UHD drive. 

1. Web Browser with a controller is stupid.

2. Big Picture Mode Removes all the diverse usability attained from having a PC in the first place.

3. Modifying BPM only invites crashes, since many user-mods are made my amateurs. 

4. Typing from a couch is super uncomfortable and worse for your back than it is to be typing hunched over.

5. Using KB/M from the couch either has signal loss for wireless, or runs wires across the living room.

6. Using a gamepad means you're just going to have to have both.

Why bother jumping all of these hurdles when a console is designed for the couch from the get-go? Oh, because it fits with that "consoles should go away and everyone should be PC only" agenda.

zero129 said:
Azuren said:

I've used it, and I don't like it. I do too much on my computer to limit myself to games and web browsers (and with a gamepad, no less). Conversely, when I'm using my PS4, I can quickly switch back and forth from Netflix, to game to Vue, so on and so forth. BPM, as far as I can tell, doesn't do that.

And I'm pretty sure most of those same users you're referring to aren't actually sitting on their couch with a keyboard. 

And I never said no one will buy an XB1 since you can play those games on PC. Recently I even toyed with the thought of getting one myself on the forums here in light of the news that PS4Pro wouldn't have a UHD drive. 

1. Web Browser with a controller is stupid.

2. Big Picture Mode Removes all the diverse usability attained from having a PC in the first place.

3. Modifying BPM only invites crashes, since many user-mods are made my amateurs. 

4. Typing from a couch is super uncomfortable and worse for your back than it is to be typing hunched over.

5. Using KB/M from the couch either has signal loss for wireless, or runs wires across the living room.

6. Using a gamepad means you're just going to have to have both.

Why bother jumping all of these hurdles when a console is designed for the couch from the get-go? Oh, because it fits with that "consoles should go away and everyone should be PC only" agenda.

First of all We are talking about Steams Big Picture mode.

Like i said before if you want to use your pc for other things such as work clearly a desk or a table is better.

But then like i said you can also use something like Steam Link for when you want that "Console" like experence giving you the best of both worlds, Something you said PC cant do..

So if you only want the "Exact same console experience" Why cant Steams Big Picture mode give you that?.

And how are you gimping the Pc experience if you can use it as a PC and as a Console thanks to Steam Link?.

No, we're talking about using a computer from a couch, you're just trying to change the direction of the debate because you know using a computer from a couch sucks.

And it can't do the exact same thing because BPM doesn't have streaming services built into it, nor can it switch between all of its tasks seamlessly. 

And you keep saying "use this", "use that"... How about I use a console, and avoid having to download a bunch of extra junk on my PC and buy a bunch of crap just to have it run halfway as efficiently from a couch as a console would while also tying up my PC? How about instead of overcomplicated the couch experience (which, at its core, is supposed to be simple), I just use a product designed to do so from the start?