By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Hypocrisy and Irony of 4K Blu-ray Exclusion

Uabit said:
The thing is X1 S not only has 4k blu-ray player but also upscales games to 4k (yes just like the PS4 pro) and Scorpio is going to be much more powerful than pro. PS4 Pro really is some bs.

Not just like PS4Pro; PS4Pro will run games at higher resolutions (between 1440p and 1800p depending on the title) and will use frame reconstruction and upscaling. 

If you're going to be volatile, the least you could do is be correct. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Uabit said:
The thing is X1 S not only has 4k blu-ray player but also upscales games to 4k (yes just like the PS4 pro) and Scorpio is going to be much more powerful than pro. PS4 Pro really is some bs.

Not just like PS4Pro; PS4Pro will run games at higher resolutions (between 1440p and 1800p depending on the title) and will use frame reconstruction and upscaling. 

If you're going to be volatile, the least you could do is be correct. 

This is what I also understand. Because of the extra processing power in the PS4 Pro over the PS4, the graphics are improved even on a 1080p television. It is not simply just upscaled.

Azzanation said:
Azuren said:

Can you read? You can read, right? 

There are no PS4 titles. 

There are no plans for PS4 titles. 

No plans yet. Things change and especially with digital, they have built the foundation. PC has the biggest library of games. It’s not the best of both worlds, it’s the best of all worlds. One think I don’t have on my PC is a 4k UHD player, guess the Pro doesn’t help me there.

Anyway, enjoy your product justification. I’m off to play some Legion.

"Yet"

You want to talk about yet? There isn't a UHD player on your PC.

Yet. Oh no, your entire reason for owning an XB1 just vanished. Disappointing; if you'd spent that money on a PS4, at least you'd have 48 titles to pick from that you couldn't play otherwise. 

And before you go, answer me this: how is it that you argue for PSNow, but streaming 4K suddenly isn't an option? Have you streamed 4K? Because I have, and it looks great; just as good as the 4K HDR demos I work with on a daily basis. But have you played PSNow? Obviously not, or you wouldn't constantly use it as an argument- 0.5 second input lag it unacceptable for games like The Last of Us. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Soundwave said:

There's lots of ironies and hypocrisies like for example Sony being the one that touted the Playstation brand as being the central hub for games AND movies, etc. now suddenly acting like Nintendo during the GameCube era when Nintendo was given a lot of grief back then for being "game focused". It's also ironic to spend an hour talking up 4KTV and then release a console that doesn't really do native 4K for games or movies. 

And so on and so on.

To be honest who cares if Sony is criticized. Why does it bother some people so much? Microsoft and Nintendo take more than their fair share of criticism all the time, Sony is not exempt from making poor decisions. It happens. Let people vent, not everyone has to love every decision they make. They are just another company.

If the situation was reversed and Sony was making the Scorpio and MS was making the XBox Pro with no 4K UHD support and no native 4K, you can bet Microsoft would be getting blasted for it with lots of "wait for Playstation Scorpio, MS dun goofed again!". Is it the end of the world? No. Should Sony be exempt from any kind of criticism no matter what? That's equally a no.

NightDragon83 said:
Soundwave said:

There's lots of ironies and hypocrisies like for example Sony being the one that touted the Playstation brand as being the central hub for games AND movies, etc. now suddenly acting like Nintendo during the GameCube era when Nintendo was given a lot of grief back then for being "game focused". It's also ironic to spend an hour talking up 4KTV and then release a console that doesn't really do native 4K for games or movies. 

And so on and so on.

To be honest who cares if Sony is criticized. Why does it bother some people so much? Microsoft and Nintendo take more than their fair share of criticism all the time, Sony is not exempt from making poor decisions. It happens. Let people vent, not everyone has to love every decision they make. They are just another company.

If the situation was reversed and Sony was making the Scorpio and MS was making the XBox Pro with no 4K UHD support and no native 4K, you can bet Microsoft would be getting blasted for it with lots of "wait for Playstation Scorpio, MS dun goofed again!". Is it the end of the world? No. Should Sony be exempt from any kind of criticism no matter what? That's equally a no.

I was just going to bring that point up about Sony fans declaring the PlayStation platform is all about "focusing on the games" this gen as a knock towards M$, when Nintendo has basically been all about the games since day 1 and yet they got all kinds of crap for not including DVD movie playback with the GC, which of course was a big reason (if not THE reason) why the PS2 was so successful early on: being a relatively affordable DVD player at a time when standalone DVD players cost $300 and up.

There's nothing hypocritical about people criticizing Sony's decision to go with the expensive Blu-Ray technology at the beginning of last gen which ballooned the PS3's cost to $500-$600 and cost them their dominance in the console market, while praising M$'s decision to include 4k Blu-Ray playback & 4k streaming in their console at an affordable $299 price point today.  The PS4 was rightfully praised for being more powerful than the X1 while doing pretty much everything the X1 does at a lower price point which made it the clear frontrunner this gen, and Sony fans haven't stopped gloating and rubbing everyone else's face in the mud since.

Lol, you musta be kidding. That was whole different era. The DVD and the introduction of a DVD successor were born out of NECESSITY! UHD Blu Ray is NOT necessary! That is the big difference.

Hunting Season is done...

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

No plans yet. Things change and especially with digital, they have built the foundation. PC has the biggest library of games. It’s not the best of both worlds, it’s the best of all worlds. One think I don’t have on my PC is a 4k UHD player, guess the Pro doesn’t help me there.

Anyway, enjoy your product justification. I’m off to play some Legion.

"Yet"

You want to talk about yet? There isn't a UHD player on your PC.

Yet. Oh no, your entire reason for owning an XB1 just vanished. Disappointing; if you'd spent that money on a PS4, at least you'd have 48 titles to pick from that you couldn't play otherwise. 

And before you go, answer me this: how is it that you argue for PSNow, but streaming 4K suddenly isn't an option? Have you streamed 4K? Because I have, and it looks great; just as good as the 4K HDR demos I work with on a daily basis. But have you played PSNow? Obviously not, or you wouldn't constantly use it as an argument- 0.5 second input lag it unacceptable for games like The Last of Us. 

Hello again,

No i havent used PSNow and i dont plan to becausse theres nothing on it i want to play except for maybe 1 title and there is 0 titles i want to play on PS4. The option is there for me if i need to play a game and now that PSNow is available i dont have to worry about buying a Playstation. As for UHD Disks vs Streaming, Reading off a Disk is always better than Streaming and unforunatly in this case, the XB1s will deliever a better UHD movie experince because i dont have to rely on Streaming and my internet.

Around the Network

My point is simple: I never buy/rent physical movies so I don't see why I should pay extra money for something I'll never use just to make a small minority happy. Some people want an UHD BR drive? They can buy a dedicated one without having people like me wasting money for nothing.

Uabit said:

In reall life: X1 S can upscale in 4k, (like all consoles can do depending on  TV with res at 4K 30HZ with HDMI 1.4), with HDMI 2.0  can produce 4k 60hz ,

PS4 Pro is a high-end version of PS4 that is capable of outputting 4K graphics, HDR support, smoother and more stable framerates and 4K video streaming. Upon its launch, PS4 Pro will make supported PS4 games look better and run more smoothly, while giving developers an upgraded toolset to create even richer, more detailed game worlds

Following PS4 Pro’s launch on 10 November, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a free downloadable update. Some titles previously released will be updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro features, including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and more.

PS4 Pro can display much higher resolutions than the standard PS4 when using a 4K TV. But if you own an HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p), PS4 Pro can still improve your gaming experience.

Also HDR come to all standar ps4 for free

Fact: developers already starting use PS4PRO futures that is not only upscale 4k 60hz and HDR

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/the-last-of-us-ps4-pro-wil-run-at-native-4k/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/witness-getting-ps4-pro-support/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/08/virtually-upcoming-ps4-games-will-able-take-advantage-ps4-pro/

LivingMetal said:
mysteryman said:

But you'd still buy a PS4?

Because the additional power isn't worth the extra cost to you, especially considering you don't have a 4K TV?

Of course I'll still buy a PS4. More specifically a PS4 Pro. I don't see what the issue is. Either I didn't make myself clear earlier or you didn't make yourself clear earlier. A PS4 pro at $400 it's worth its price from my standpoint when you consider the 1 terabyte hard drive and the upgrade in graphics even on a 1080p high-definition television when compared to the $300 PS4 Slim. Again I don't see what the issue is.

If you'd just buy a PS4 anyway if the PS4pro was $100 more expensive, then Sony could afford to sell at that price. You don't have a 4K setup, and would have a console more suited to your needs. And the niche market that wants a premium version of the console would fork out the extra cash for all of the bells and whistles.

mysteryman said:
LivingMetal said:

Of course I'll still buy a PS4. More specifically a PS4 Pro. I don't see what the issue is. Either I didn't make myself clear earlier or you didn't make yourself clear earlier. A PS4 pro at $400 it's worth its price from my standpoint when you consider the 1 terabyte hard drive and the upgrade in graphics even on a 1080p high-definition television when compared to the $300 PS4 Slim. Again I don't see what the issue is.

If you'd just buy a PS4 anyway if the PS4pro was $100 more expensive, then Sony could afford to sell at that price. You don't have a 4K setup, and would have a console more suited to your needs. And the niche market that wants a premium version of the console would fork out the extra cash for all of the bells and whistles.

Why are people so obsessed with pushing PS4neopro into the 4k corner?

PS4 Pro offers benefits even if you play on a HDTV that isn’t 4K. Depending on how the developer chooses to use the increased processing power, games with PS4 Pro support are able to render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements. For a look at how games are using the power of PS4 Pro, watch some of the first game footage on our YouTube page.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-announces-powerful-playstation-4-pro-with-enhanced-psvr-support/

Sony made it perfectly clear. Didn't they? I mean, my native language isn't english, but i understood every last bit.

Hunting Season is done...

vivster said:

Welcome to the console wars. Remember when in the middle ages the peasants had to go to war with a pitchfork because they didn't have an actual weapon to fight with? Minor features are today's pitchfork for the peasants in the console war.

Hahahaha, you are so cruel with your peasant talk vivster. Pitchforks, haha!

Poor peasants in war.