By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Hypocrisy and Irony of 4K Blu-ray Exclusion

What I'm about to bring up is going to ruffle some feathers.  Also, I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but only recalling general events.

This is about the hypocrisy and irony revealed at the advent of the PS4 Pro's reveal of the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive.  And as an a/v enthusiast, physical media typically provides greater clarity and quality over its streaming/digital counterpart when properly transferred.  Keep that in mind.

Rewind back to the beginning of the PS3.  One of the biggest criticisms of the PS3 was its $600 USD price tag which was blamed by the inclusion of the expensive Blu-Ray drive.  Now, I don't expect the PS3 to appeal to all consumers, but some of the fodder that detractors of the PlayStation namebrand used were "DVDs are good enough," "No one can see the difference between 480p and 1080p," Blu-Rays are too expensive," and "Who needs Blu-Ray?  We can stream HD content."  Now, let's us establish the fact that there are detractors (fanboys) in most every camp that will deny/denounce anything that competes with what they're supporting. 

Fast forward to today, we find that those detractors were wrong.  We're up to 4K televisions, Blu-Ray has been a commercial success, Blu-Ray is being sold along side with DVDs, and streaming options have mutiplied over the past few years.  But what we also have today was the PS4 Pro announcement with the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive.  Now looking back at the detractors mentioned in the last paragraph, you'd logically conclude that we wouldn't have detractors with the announcement of the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive on the PS4 Pro.  But you still have them, and I mainly suspect this is just another attack on the PlayStation platform just because Sony is offering a choice product at a relatively affordable price.  Now let me disclaim that there are a few who have legitimate issues over the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive because like I said with the PS3,  I don't expect the PS4 Pro to appeal to all consumers.  That's for a different discussion

Let's look at history to educate us.  The migration from VHS to DVD was relatively simple because the laser disc was your only other option while there were no streaming options.  The jump from DVD to Blu-ray wasn't as great when considering that the quality difference between DVD and Blu-Ray were closer than VHS and DVD.  Also, streaming was still relatively new but was still a competing option over Blu-Ray.  Now today, you have Blu-Ray, DVD is still a viable option, streaming options have multiplied, and then there's 4K Blu-ray.  The trend is that you're receiving diminishing returns as each new media is introduced due to consumer options and the requirements to partake in those options.  So since Sony decided to exclude a 4K Blu-ray drive from the PS4 Pro, it is what it is.  It's very reasonable, logical, understandable.  For those of you who were wanting the PS4 Pro to be a 4K Blu-ray option, this  product is not for you.  For those of you who are using this as an excuse to bash Sony and belittle their decision, no one should consider you a gamer, and no one should validate your opiniated agenda.

My stance on all this?  Like I said, "physical media typically provides greater clarity and quality over its streaming/digital counterpart when properly transferred."  I recognize this, but at this stage of my life, my spending and time mangement habits need to adjust around higher priorities.  For the longest time, I've been a gamer, and I foresee I will always have the heart of one.  During the 8 and 16 bit days, I was a rabit Nintendo fanboy, but I had to swallow my pride if I claimed to be a gamer.  I loved games, but I especially loved Final Fantasy.  So I "had" to buy a PlayStation to play FFVII.  I didn't buy it to play audio CDs.  I later bought me a PlayStation 2, but not for the DVD playback since I already owned a DVD player.  Then there was the PS3.  Yes, it was my first Blu-Ray player, but I bought it for Ratchet & Clank.  Now, I'm about to buy a PS4 Pro this Christmas.  Obviously, I'm not buying it for 4K Blu-ray playback.  I am speaking for myself.  So speaking for myself as a formal rabid fanboy, those who bash Sony at every turn has more despise over a corporation than the joy of of console gaming.  If you truely believe that your non-Sony console of choice is the right fit for your gaming preferences, stop acting so threatened when PlayStation succeeds and stop blowing things out of proportion to support your console of choice.

Around the Network

Some people attack corporations for any numbers of reasons, while in response other people attack the people that attack "their" corporations. Because to me attacking people is worse than attacking corporations, I prefer to side with the people and not the corporations thank you very much.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

It'll be in the PS5 for sure; they just couldn't get the BoM low enough with it for the Pro's $400 price point.

Like everybody has 4K TVs to take advantage of a 4K Blu Ray. I don't understand the backlash against not including it. I'm sure Sony was trying to aim for the $399 mark and for what they've done with Pro, 399 is a great price point. A 4K Blu Ray would at least push it to 450-500$ which is past the point of no return from a price point perspective. It won't affect how Pro performs in sales, people just have to find something wrong with something. I still think the Pro is a very awkward console, but it doesn't deserve the hate for something as trivial and underused as 4K Bluray.

Whats their excuse for the PS4S

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

What I'm about to bring up is going to ruffle some feathers.  Also, I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but only recalling general events.

This is about the hypocrisy and irony revealed at the advent of the PS4 Pro's reveal of the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive.  And as an a/v enthusiast, physical media typically provides greater clarity and quality over its streaming/digital counterpart when properly transferred.  Keep that in mind.

Rewind back to the beginning of the PS3.  One of the biggest criticisms of the PS3 was its $600 USD price tag which was blamed by the inclusion of the expensive Blu-Ray drive.  Now, I don't expect the PS3 to appeal to all consumers, but some of the fodder that detractors of the PlayStation namebrand used were "DVDs are good enough," "No one can see the difference between 480p and 1080p," Blu-Rays are too expensive," and "Who needs Blu-Ray?  We can stream HD content."  Now, let's us establish the fact that there are detractors (fanboys) in most every camp that will deny/denounce anything that competes with what they're supporting. 

Fast forward to today, we find that those detractors were wrong.  We're up to 4K televisions, Blu-Ray has been a commercial success, Blu-Ray is being sold along side with DVDs, and streaming options have mutiplied over the past few years.  But what we also have today was the PS4 Pro announcement with the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive.  Now looking back at the detractors mentioned in the last paragraph, you'd logically conclude that we wouldn't have detractors with the announcement of the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive on the PS4 Pro.  But you still have them, and I mainly suspect this is just another attack on the PlayStation platform just because Sony is offering a choice product at a relatively affordable price.  Now let me disclaim that there are a few who have legitimate issues over the exclusion of a 4K Blu-ray drive because like I said with the PS3,  I don't expect the PS4 Pro to appeal to all consumers.  That's for a different discussion

Let's look at history to educate us.  The migration from VHS to DVD was relatively simple because the laser disc was your only other option while there were no streaming options.  The jump from DVD to Blu-ray wasn't as great when considering that the quality difference between DVD and Blu-Ray were closer than VHS and DVD.  Also, streaming was still relatively new but was still a competing option over Blu-Ray.  Now today, you have Blu-Ray, DVD is still a viable option, streaming options have multiplied, and then there's 4K Blu-ray.  The trend is that you're receiving diminishing returns as each new media is introduced due to consumer options and the requirements to partake in those options.  So since Sony decided to exclude a 4K Blu-ray drive from the PS4 Pro, it is what it is.  It's very reasonable, logical, understandable.  For those of you who were wanting the PS4 Pro to be a 4K Blu-ray option, this  product is not for you.  For those of you who are using this as an excuse to bash Sony and belittle their decision, no one should consider you a gamer, and no one should validate your opiniated agenda.

My stance on all this?  Like I said, "physical media typically provides greater clarity and quality over its streaming/digital counterpart when properly transferred."  I recognize this, but at this stage of my life, my spending and time mangement habits need to adjust around higher priorities.  For the longest time, I've been a gamer, and I foresee I will always have the heart of one.  During the 8 and 16 bit days, I was a rabit Nintendo fanboy, but I had to swallow my pride if I claimed to be a gamer.  I loved games, but I especially loved Final Fantasy.  So I "had" to buy a PlayStation to play FFVII.  I didn't buy it to play audio CDs.  I later bought me a PlayStation 2, but not for the DVD playback since I already owned a DVD player.  Then there was the PS3.  Yes, it was my first Blu-Ray player, but I bought it for Ratchet & Clank.  Now, I'm about to buy a PS4 Pro this Christmas.  Obviously, I'm not buying it for 4K Blu-ray playback.  I am speaking for myself.  So speaking for myself as a formal rabid fanboy, those who bash Sony at every turn has more despise over a corporation than the joy of of console gaming.  If you truely believe that your non-Sony console of choice is the right fit for your gaming preferences, stop acting so threatened when PlayStation succeeds and stop blowing things out of proportion to support your console of choice.

I was playing on a SD system in 2010. 

BraLoD said:
jason1637 said:
Whats their excuse for the PS4S

Which excuse? Did Sony ever told it would have a 4K BD player? Does it is a standard based on moving the core of the product ahead that was missed? It's not even gaming related.

Please, drop it.

they could have added 4k supported and kept it at $300.

I think there are 2 simple reasons why MS included 4K player in their slim when Sony hasn't added it to their pro:

They have placed a bulk order to ensure they can bring the price of the player down as much as possible between the 2 devices.

Secondly, if it will do native 4K they will need more disc space that the Pro doesn't need.

It's not the end of the world as some people claim it to be. It's more of a mob / sheep mentality from a many people.

Ironically, the reason why MS was laughed at their reveal with TV, TV, TV is the same reason why they are being applauded. Sony on the other hand whilst being praised for games, games, games is now being boo'd for precisely that reason.

Unfortunately since last gen, this is how gamingmedia and a vocal crowd have been. They find something and then latch on to it. No logic, right or wrong will change their mind. It's Sony's turn now to take a beating.

Bandorr said:
Yes it is quite amusing.
$600 all the features = Arrogant Sony.
$399 missing a "physical 4K DVD Player" = Arrogant Sony.

One person says it because they are clutching at straws. A second person repeats it because it strikes a note with them. A third person repeats it to sound smart. Etc etc.

I like that. :)

The PS5 Exists. 

Certain people expected too much from a mid gen console. PS4P is not the equivalent to the PS 1, 2, and 3. I expected the PS5 to have it.