By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Hypocrisy and Irony of 4K Blu-ray Exclusion

Haha, I have found all this funny. I swear i never knew this many people cared about watching movies on their gaming consoles until just this past week. Even when MS added it to the XB1s it wasn't made a big deal cause then everyone just kinda assumed that Sony would too.

Now? it's the hottest item to have in a console.

Anyways my take on this is that MS will do and is trying to do anything to add value to their console. Sony is the market leader after all. I am really just surprised that so many are talking this all up to mean more than it is.

The really sad thing is, there are those that are up in arms about this that will never buy a 4k Blu-ray....

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:

they could have added 4k supported and kept it at $300.

You say that as if you knew that. You don't.

Do you actually think if they could do that.. they wouldn't have? You think they actually decided "we aren't going to add a feature that will cost us nothing" simply becaue they can?

MS did it with the S. I saw somewhere that the 500gb S cost like $225 to make.

BraLoD said:
jason1637 said:

they could have added 4k supported and kept it at $300.

Where is Sony data about it then, giving a breakthrough of the their components additions costs (Sony's costs, not someone's else costs), their development and planning costs, their market pricing penetration strategy, the cost relations between proving another feature on a videogame console and proding it as an eletronics manufacturer Sony also is, etc.?
Sony did what it thought it should have done, how it thought it should have done.
The Pro is $400, not $300, by the way.

Wanting more on something you want to get is a thing, it's understadable, asking for an excuse because what you wanted is not there, is not, in any case, as a consumer your money decides which pleases or displeases you, and you are more than welcome to deposit it on what you seem the most fitting for your desires, but nobody owes you an excuse for not being what you choose.

I was refering to the PS4 S on my first post so i said 300.

twintail said:
jason1637 said:

MS did it with the S. I saw somewhere that the 500gb S cost like $225 to make.

Then maybe go find the cost to make a ps4s first?

Its likely less because of the lack of a 4K player.

Not to mention all the hypocrisy of people saying "when did you ever even buy a 4K Blu-ray". Like when did these guys suddenly become interested in 4K TVs and gaming.
Haven't heard any of them talk about it before, why is it a thing people all of a sudden are looking into buying??
Yeah, goes both ways guys.

Would also like to point out this is far from the console's biggest issue, just a small negative of the thing.
The much bigger issue is the CPU which is holding the thing back.

Around the Network

4K Blu Ray is not about the price of the disc drive.

Hardware of a UHD disc drive is the same as a standard Blu Ray drive. You only might need a firmware update.

Now, you do need the decoderstuff, HDCP 2.2 and so on. Basically all the stuff that's needed for 4K streams.

Sony doesn't want you to buy 4K discs. They want to have total control on movie content and push streaming further.

I would have preferred they take advantage of the "premium" title.

UHD Drive and Cell Processor for $600. This way there is a large and legitimate difference between models, but people looking to "just play games" can grab a Slim.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

ktay95 said:
Not to mention all the hypocrisy of people saying "when did you ever even buy a 4K Blu-ray". Like when did these guys suddenly become interested in 4K TVs and gaming.
Haven't heard any of them talk about it before, why is it a thing people all of a sudden are looking into buying??
Yeah, goes both ways guys.

Would also like to point out this is far from the console's biggest issue, just a small negative of the thing.
The much bigger issue is the CPU which is holding the thing back.

Yeah. You could said that there is always an "attacking" party and a "defensive" party. And as the criticism is focused form one side to the other their roles will reverse. Both side's are then equally hypocrits. I know that very well becauyse the only rule I follow is the rule of convenience, hypocricy is my middle name.

Also, most of the time both parties are doing both, attacking and defending. If I take the PS3 example as well, some people were targeting the price of the PS3 and defending 360 lack of Blu-ray while on the other side people were pointing out the lack of blu-rays on the 360 and at the same time defending the higher price of the PS3. Both sides are doing the exact same thing so that means everyone is evil. Good, because I'm getting lonely of being the only villian around here.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I agree it sucks majorly for a lot of people.

Fortunately I'm not one of those people and don't own any video Blu-Ray's let alone 4K ones.

But other than price point there's not lots you can do to defend them on this.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

All this week's meltdown proved is there are a ton of people who've been hiding in the long grass waiting for an excuse to have a proper good go at Sony.

Everything you say is true. But there are more things to add to it.

Where were all these haters when the Wii and 360 didn't receive a built in blu ray.

Where will they be if the NX doesn't have a uhd Blu-ray player or maybe not even a standard one.

This will pass, and Sony will move on. Mark my words. Ps4 will pass 70m units sold at some point in 2017. I think that will answer the critics. This whole drama ain't gonna slow down the ps4.