By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Hypocrisy and Irony of 4K Blu-ray Exclusion

Azzanation said:
Azuren said:

"Yet"

You want to talk about yet? There isn't a UHD player on your PC.

Yet. Oh no, your entire reason for owning an XB1 just vanished. Disappointing; if you'd spent that money on a PS4, at least you'd have 48 titles to pick from that you couldn't play otherwise. 

And before you go, answer me this: how is it that you argue for PSNow, but streaming 4K suddenly isn't an option? Have you streamed 4K? Because I have, and it looks great; just as good as the 4K HDR demos I work with on a daily basis. But have you played PSNow? Obviously not, or you wouldn't constantly use it as an argument- 0.5 second input lag it unacceptable for games like The Last of Us. 

Hello again,

No i havent used PSNow and i dont plan to becausse theres nothing on it i want to play except for maybe 1 title and there is 0 titles i want to play on PS4. The option is there for me if i need to play a game and now that PSNow is available i dont have to worry about buying a Playstation. As for UHD Disks vs Streaming, Reading off a Disk is always better than Streaming and unforunatly in this case, the XB1s will deliever a better UHD movie experince because i dont have to rely on Streaming and my internet.

So you haven't used either, and you employ double standards to push your agenda. Gotcha. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:

Haha that's hilarious but true.  blu ray is Sony's child and now it's all grown up and going to university Microsoft has offered it a scholarship in the UHD academy.  Funny how things change.  Sony are probably happy with regular blu ray continuing its small take over of the dvd.  Can't blame them.  

They pushed cd's, they pushed,  dvd's, they pushed blu ray.  Not its time for them to rest.  Let Microsoft push the last ever format UHD. Sony gony straight to the streaming future. 

here you are with your hyperbole and overly colourful exaggerations of a very simple situation once again.

EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is pushing streaming, merely offering a UHD player doesn't detract from this and doesn't = pushing. Streaming is already literally everywhere. Why are you talking like Sony are on some sort of streaming crusade? If they are then they are late, that horse bolted two years ago. Talking specufically about 4k streaming? Netflix, Amazon built right into every 4k tv already. But best 4k right now in the UK is hands down Sky. On demand movies and amazing 4k football. Don't forget... Sky get Sony movies before anyone else in the UK under their deal too.

I didn't say Sony are on a streaming crusade or that they're leading the streaming future.  They're joining it and by them doing so is a boost for streaming vs UHD which let's be real here is never going to take over the market.  Maybe some day it will be the majority physical player but by then the sales of physical will be so low it won't really matter. 

mysteryman said:
LivingMetal said:

Of course I'll still buy a PS4. More specifically a PS4 Pro. I don't see what the issue is. Either I didn't make myself clear earlier or you didn't make yourself clear earlier. A PS4 pro at $400 it's worth its price from my standpoint when you consider the 1 terabyte hard drive and the upgrade in graphics even on a 1080p high-definition television when compared to the $300 PS4 Slim. Again I don't see what the issue is.

If you'd just buy a PS4 anyway if the PS4pro was $100 more expensive, then Sony could afford to sell at that price. You don't have a 4K setup, and would have a console more suited to your needs. And the niche market that wants a premium version of the console would fork out the extra cash for all of the bells and whistles.

I can buy anything I want for whatever reason.  It's called "personal preference."  And after reading Zoombael response to your comment, I see what you're trying to do now.  You're just trying to belittle the potential market for the PS4 Pro.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but obviously I was wrong about you.  And in 1st world countries, people always buy more than they need whether it's food, clothes, cells phone functions, kitchen appliances, video games, cars, square footage of a home, etc.  According to your false logic, I'm in a niche market with my Mazda 6.  Maybe I should have picked out the Sport model since I don't need the bells and whistles of the Touring model I currently own.  Better yet besides getting a 6, maybe I should have settled with a 3 since it's cheaper and "does the job."  Then again, the Toyota Camry cost less that a Mazda 3.  For shame I'm in such a niche market.  FOR SHAME!  Yes, that was sarcasm about the Mazda.  Nothing niche about that and the PS4 Pro, nothing new.

Kerotan said:
kowenicki said:

here you are with your hyperbole and overly colourful exaggerations of a very simple situation once again.

EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is pushing streaming, merely offering a UHD player doesn't detract from this and doesn't = pushing. Streaming is already literally everywhere. Why are you talking like Sony are on some sort of streaming crusade? If they are then they are late, that horse bolted two years ago. Talking specufically about 4k streaming? Netflix, Amazon built right into every 4k tv already. But best 4k right now in the UK is hands down Sky. On demand movies and amazing 4k football. Don't forget... Sky get Sony movies before anyone else in the UK under their deal too.

I didn't say Sony are on a streaming crusade or that they're leading the streaming future.  They're joining it and by them doing so is a boost for streaming vs UHD which let's be real here is never going to take over the market.  Maybe some day it will be the majority physical player but by then the sales of physical will be so low it won't really matter. 

These guys are always using strawman tactics because they were wrong with ill intent to begin with.  It doesn't surprise me for a long time now.

Kerotan said:
kowenicki said:

I'd like to point out that 4K is not something that'll fade away like a fad, nor is it in competition with streaming. As I've said before, you can get a very good stream if you have a good Internet connection, and I haven't seen a big enough difference between them to justify purchasing an expensive standalone or an Xbox One S.

What this is about is streaming vs physical media.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
Kerotan said:

These guys are always using strawman tactics because they were wrong with ill intent to begin with.  It doesn't surprise me for a long time now.

I know right!  I'm looking forwarded to seeing what I apparently said next :)

mysteryman said:
LivingMetal said:

Of course I'll still buy a PS4. More specifically a PS4 Pro. I don't see what the issue is. Either I didn't make myself clear earlier or you didn't make yourself clear earlier. A PS4 pro at $400 it's worth its price from my standpoint when you consider the 1 terabyte hard drive and the upgrade in graphics even on a 1080p high-definition television when compared to the $300 PS4 Slim. Again I don't see what the issue is.

If you'd just buy a PS4 anyway if the PS4pro was $100 more expensive, then Sony could afford to sell at that price. You don't have a 4K setup, and would have a console more suited to your needs. And the niche market that wants a premium version of the console would fork out the extra cash for all of the bells and whistles.

Games on Pro run at higher settings even on a 1080p screen and have better framerates.

LivingMetal said:
Uabit said:
The thing is X1 S not only has 4k blu-ray player but also upscales games to 4k (yes just like the PS4 pro) and Scorpio is going to be much more powerful than pro. PS4 Pro really is some bs.

But the Xbox One S doesn't have Persona 5.

You can play that on PS3. Nice straw man tactic though. Actually bringing games into an argument that was made to be about media. 😒 This whole thread has turned into a straw man tactic. 

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Blu-ray was really struggling against HD DVD in a battle for what they thought was going to be a market as lucrative as DVD was at the time.

Therefore there was a huge incentive for Sony to "trojan" as many Blu-ray players into homes as possible. This ultimately led to them comfortably forcing HD DVD off the market (sales for HD DVD were far better than Blu-ray until the very minute the PS3 hit the US market when it was completely flipped the other way, and HD DVD never clawed it back after that)

This time around with UHD BD, it's a completely different thing. We have seen that BD even 10 years down the line, still hasn't overtaken DVD as the main video format. So although still a big market, nowhere near as lucrative as hoped. Partially due to streaming, but more due to the average person still finding DVD perfectly acceptable.

4K BDs will be a niche market, and will more likely share a similar sort of existence to that enjoyed by Laser Disc in the past. High end releases for the videophiles and big film enthusiasts. There is also no impotus to dethorn Blu-ray as the high definition option, as it is already their format.

So I don't really see why logically, Sony would want to just chuck in a UHD BD player for the sake of it? It was clear from multi DVD games that Blu-ray was offering a better capacity for the direction games were heading in too.

Microsoft on the otherhand know they have exhausted their best software arsenal, and don't have that much left to try and claw back marketshare from the PS4 globally. A UHD BD player could well be for some people, an upgrade that makes them change their purchase.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

pbroy said:
LivingMetal said:

But the Xbox One S doesn't have Persona 5.

You can play that on PS3. Nice straw man tactic though. Actually bringing games into an argument that was made to be about media. 😒 This whole thread has turned into a straw man tactic. 

But the graphics are better on a PlayStation 4. Even more so enhanced on the PS4 Pro, potentially. Yes this is on topic. :)