By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the endless runner angle be the "change" in the Mario series Miyamoto was talking about for NX?

Yes, and I guess this will probably be the biggest money maker to Nintendo since forever.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. Also brand awareness, Nintendo is thinking that a lot of phone users are going to say "ok this is really fun, now I want to play a real mario game" and that could work, it works for pokemon.

Exactly this. Millions of people know Mario but there are still so many that haven't played any of the games in years. You get them interested in a Mario game like this and then make them want to pick up a console to play the full length souped up games.

And worst case scenario you just make a boatload of money from this to use for attracting 2nd party and 3 party developers to the NX.

There may be an endless mode in NSMB but hopefully not the one tap feature :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

bigtakilla said:
Poojipoo said:
Nah, they've mentioned several times that their smartphone games are a gateway drug to their devices/full games. They want people to play this and go "huh, I wonder what a REAL Mario game is like". Which is great, with all the young 'uns being brought up on tablet and smartphone games, we need someone like Nintendo to introduce them to console gaming.

But it's not really like a real Mario game. It's like giving someone pot and hoping they'll want to know what crack is like. It's a pretty big leap.

Wait, your analogy is literally the (mostly fictitious) scenario everyone talks about when talking about gateway drugs and pot-->crack...  :p

But anyways, I don't think endless runner-->platformer is at all a big leap?  Endless runners like this essentially teach you timing jumps; platformers are about timing jumps with horizontal movement.  Endless runner-->3D platformer might be a bit more difficult, but not such a huge leap that a kid who plays mobile games won't be able to figure it out.

Hiku said:

NX has a controller So I think they'd rather utilize its options. The running thing is to make it playable one handed.

onionberry said:
It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. A

*Burger eating sound effect*
*Apple eating sound effect*

miyamoto is funny :D

Around the Network
Poojipoo said:
bigtakilla said:

But it's not really like a real Mario game. It's like giving someone pot and hoping they'll want to know what crack is like. It's a pretty big leap.

Wait, your analogy is literally the (mostly fictitious) scenario everyone talks about when talking about gateway drugs and pot-->crack...  :p

But anyways, I don't think endless runner-->platformer is at all a big leap?  Endless runners like this essentially teach you timing jumps; platformers are about timing jumps with horizontal movement.  Endless runner-->3D platformer might be a bit more difficult, but not such a huge leap that a kid who plays mobile games won't be able to figure it out.

Tapping a button and controlling a character in a 3D game are pretty different, and scratches different itches.

RolStoppable said:
Poojipoo said:

A more fitting comparison would be "it's like giving someone Pokémon Go and hoping they'll want to know what real Pokémon is like."

You would think that people on a website dedicated to sales of video games already know that this works, so this shouldn't even be questioned in the first place.

It's  not a question of does mobile games raise awareness or sales, it's if the analogy is correct. What you're talking about literally has no relevance.

No, I don't think this is the drastic change he was talkin' about, as this game isn't really drastic at all. The only major thing about this is that it's another mobile game and it's a very safely designed game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

bigtakilla said:
Poojipoo said:

Tapping a button and controlling a character in a 3D game are pretty different, and scratches different itches.

Pokemon GO boosted Pokemon mainline sales by a pretty significant margin. A franchise entering in to the public consciousness will boost sales of other things in that franchise. Yes, they are different, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant increase in sales of Mainline Mario games following the release of this mobile game.

It could work as an extra mode like Endless mode in Mega Man 9 and 10 but not as a full game on a console. The advantage of such a game is that it's easy to make and cheap to produce which works well for a platform like mobile but not something like on a console where you would want something that has more depth.