By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the endless runner angle be the "change" in the Mario series Miyamoto was talking about for NX?

We all know in a recent interview Miyamoto claimed that the Mario for NX was going to be a drastic change from the other titles in the series. Now they announce an endless runner exclusive to iphones. Well, is the endless runner formula what you are expecting from the next Mario title? 

It already seems to be trending bigtime. It's easy money and attracts the cell phone market of casuals. What do you think?

Around the Network

I hope not. I think they made an endless runner on iPhone because its too difficult to control Mario's running movement with a touch-screen d-pad.

t3mporary_126 said:
I hope not. I think they made an endless runner on iPhone because its too difficult to control Mario's running movement with a touch-screen d-pad.

This. The touchscreen is basically just one big button, if you try to make two or more imputs at the same time it loses precision fast, so an endless running makes sense to keep precision.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
t3mporary_126 said:

This. The touchscreen is basically just one big button, if you try to make two or more imputs at the same time it loses precision fast, so an endless running makes sense to keep precision.

They'd still keep it one button. heck, you may be able to play it with the controllers detatched and you have just the screen. same if they bring Pokemon Go and other games that originated as smart phone games over. Just another different way to use NX.

It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. Also brand awareness, Nintendo is thinking that a lot of phone users are going to say "ok this is really fun, now I want to play a real mario game" and that could work, it works for pokemon.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:

I hope not as well, but they could make the game at a fraction of the cost and appeal to casuals as well. Not terrible from a business sense.

onionberry said:
It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. Also brand awareness, Nintendo is thinking that a lot of phone users are going to say "ok this is really fun, now I want to play a real mario game" and that could work, it works for pokemon.

AND APPLES! Lol. I get what you're saying, but they're talking 12 mil in one year install base. You gotta appeal to a LOT of casuals to get there.

No...because it's for mobile? Not NX. Miyamoto was talking change in response to the praise that Zelda: BotW got for changing up what's been expected from Zelda. Mario has been in a really stagnant period as of late, I think Miyamoto wants to reinvent Mario. A runner is hardly re inventive.

Ljink96 said:
No...because it's for mobile? Not NX. Miyamoto was talking change in response to the praise that Zelda: BotW got for changing up what's been expected from Zelda. Mario has been in a really stagnant period as of late, I think Miyamoto wants to reinvent Mario. A runner is hardly re inventive.

I would say this wouldn't even be the biggest letdown by Nintendo for me by a LONG shot. And Nintendo says a LOT if things, some of which are outright lies.

I'd like to think that when he said drastic change he meant the Mario equivalent of Breath of the Wild........... more or less.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---