By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the endless runner angle be the "change" in the Mario series Miyamoto was talking about for NX?

AZWification said:

I'd like to think that when he said drastic change he meant the Mario equivalent of Breath of the Wild........... more or less.

As a platformer, the world(s) would have to be segmented into parts like alaxy. It doesn't work really as a complete open world.

Around the Network

Nah, they've mentioned several times that their smartphone games are a gateway drug to their devices/full games. They want people to play this and go "huh, I wonder what a REAL Mario game is like". Which is great, with all the young 'uns being brought up on tablet and smartphone games, we need someone like Nintendo to introduce them to console gaming.

Poojipoo said:
Nah, they've mentioned several times that their smartphone games are a gateway drug to their devices/full games. They want people to play this and go "huh, I wonder what a REAL Mario game is like". Which is great, with all the young 'uns being brought up on tablet and smartphone games, we need someone like Nintendo to introduce them to console gaming.

But it's not really like a real Mario game. It's like giving someone pot and hoping they'll want to know what crack is like. It's a pretty big leap.

No. Miyamoto said in an interview that the idea for Super Mario Run came from a scrapped Mario idea deemed "too simple for video game systems" when thinking of ways of appealing to a wider audience.

onionberry said:
It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. Also brand awareness, Nintendo is thinking that a lot of phone users are going to say "ok this is really fun, now I want to play a real mario game" and that could work, it works for pokemon.

I doubt that. We'll see when SunMoon numbers are out.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
onionberry said:
It's a game developed for phones, to play one handed while you eat a hamburger like he said. Also brand awareness, Nintendo is thinking that a lot of phone users are going to say "ok this is really fun, now I want to play a real mario game" and that could work, it works for pokemon.

And that's the thing. You catch smart phone gamers with smart phone like games. Give them tastes of it on the iphone to get them wanting Pokemon Go. Then release Pokemon Go 2 with updates on NX. Same with Mario Run. They'll still have their LoZs and Xenoblades, but need something for the casuals. How else do they expect to sell 12 mil in a single year.

spemanig said:
onionberry said:

you doubt that and that's ok, but pokemon x and y and pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire together have sold more than 500,000 copies since pokemon go. This is vgchartz you can see it for yourself.

It looks as it not a "normal" runner. It looks as it is possible to go backwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39ychZKnDI

baloofarsan said:
It looks as it not a "normal" runner. It looks as it is possible to go backwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39ychZKnDI

True, but he only goes backwards when hitting backwards arrows.

No, Super Mario Run is just a cheap, simple game for mobile. It's a step back compared to console Mario games. Miyamoto is looking to make the Mario series better, not worse on the NX.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz