By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

So what the hell happened to all those people behind the digital future movement? Where they at?

Anyway, this isn't really a big deal. It still plays 4K content, and from the research I've done, I haven't actually found a reason why the regular blu Ray drives can't be patched to support 4K UHD blu Ray because as far as I understand, there is no extra tech required to read the different layers on a blu Ray and you could certainly fit a 4K film on a 90GB triple layer disc. I've half thought about predicting such a patch forth coming in fact. Probably an issue of greed that the consortium of vendors would be embarrassed to admit that we don't in fact need any UhD player as legacy hardware could just be patched.

One other thing people can easily enough deduce here is that these mid gen consoles were not supposed to be here in time for 4K I think.

I think that Microsoft was only ready to announce the slim but caught wind that Sony was going to release a more powerful console and soon. This is why at E3 they super prematurely "revealed" the Scorpio with no set specs, no demos, not even a glimpse of the console - it was basically just a sheet saying "it will probably have this". They did that because they threw something together last minute to try and pre emptively one up Sony. Scorpio probably was supposed to be the next gen Xbox. At the time of reveal, Sony was way too far into finishing up PS Pro to up the specs or add in other hardware features, specifically 4K blu Ray. But again, I think that can be patched in to certain newer disk drives. So, honestly, this is one of those times where I'm going to patiently wait it out, and if I'm proven right no one will know except maybe anyone who remembers this post. But we'll see. Sony is in the driver seat, ps Pro isnt a reaction to Scorpio, it's the other way around, so I'm not going to mull over things that were inevitably too late to change or include regardless, and Ps Pro still plays nice on 4K in every other aspect so... We'll let the market decide the Pros fate (-: I'll be picking mine up around launch.

edit - Andrew House claims it can't be upgraded via firmware. Still can't find a reason why. Pretty sure they use the same kinds of discs, just with more layers for more storage.

Around the Network

Anyway, the original PS4 is a fairly noisy console that I don't like to watch Blu-Rays on, and instead watch on my XB1. The tank like XB1 with external power supply has the advantage of being practically silent. The XB1 S increases in decibels, and the PS4 Pro likely will be more noisy than the original.

My 8th gen collection

I believe the PS4 Pro is not competing with the Xbox Scorpio. The inevitable PS5 will.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Maybe they remembered how their strategy of putting everything and the kitchen sink into the PS3 paid off for them in the past.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

deskpro2k3 said:

I believe the PS4 Pro is not competing with the Xbox Scorpio. The inevitable PS5 will.

Do u really think ps5 will come out in two years ? I do believe Xbox one Scorpio will be future upgradable Console 

Around the Network

I care not.

I just find it silly. It was such a huge deal how the PS3 could do *cough* everything. Now Sony has the chance to do even more than everything with the PS4 Pro and 4K, but they dont. Silly.

Remember when the PS3 was the cheapest blu ray player? Silly.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

This man's opinion is underappreciated.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

4K blu-Ray player is a niche within a niche .

IF

=> you have 4K TV => You have 4K blu Ray player => Have a 4K blu Ray movie => This Niche applies to you.

4K TVs aren't even mainstream yet.

TheFallen said:
4K blu-Ray player is a niche within a niche .

IF

=> you have 4K TV => You have 4K blu Ray player => Have a 4K blu Ray movie => This Niche applies to you.

4K TVs aren't even mainstream yet.

Apparently somebody forget to tell Sony that because they're marketing a console towards 4KTV users. Half their press event yesterday was an infomercial for selling 4KTVs. 

If you don't have a 4KTV or don't plan on buying one then all this PS4 Pro discussion should be moot to you anyway.