By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

When bluray drove ps3 price to the 499 range everyone complained about it, now that they didn't go through the same route, everyone is still complaining?

On a more serious note, i do agree a little bit with the op, this premium ps4 should have gone the extra mile and at least had a version with everything, uhd drive, ssd and a better gpu/cpu, even if that meant to be big, hot and pricey

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
DragonRouge said:
Not that big of a deal, they already said that 4kBD support can be patched in via firmware, and they have clearly learned from their past mistakes.

Pretty sure it can't be patched in. It's a physical hardware difference between the lenses. 

Not for every set of lenses. Andrew House said it can be patched in for de PS4p

A lot of people are mis-understanding what it really takes to for a drive to be 4K-UHD compatible.

The physical disk drive only has to be BD-XL capable, or in other words be able to read up to 4 layers on the media which results in the ability to read a 100GB BD-Rom. This alone is not expensive at all. You can get a BD-XL capable drive for less than $40 for a PC, whereas a non-BD-XL drive is around $30.

The real cost for a 4K-UHD Blu-Ray player is in the processing and rendering power required for the 4K image. The next cost is for licensing HDCP 2.0, Blu-Ray codec playback, HDMI 2.0 and all the various audio codecs.

If the PS4 Pro has a BD-XL capable drive it will only require a firmware update for it to play.

Since the PS4 Pro already has the processing and rendering power needed for 4K output the only part possibly lacking is the drive being able to read a 4 layer BD-Disc. The cost of adding this is almost nothing compared to licensing that Sony does not already own.

It's one of the oddest things to see people talking about the Pro and Slim as if it's destined to fail (Colin Moriarty included) while simultaneously watching PS4 sales ramping up after the announcements. There is now a clear disconnect between the narrative and reality. It's actually fun to watch.

The PS5 Exists. 

Soundwave said:

If PS4 Pro was the exact same product but it had a XBox logo on it, my guess is the reaction on this board would largely be "LOL Microsoft! More upscaled XBox games! Not real 4K! Can't even play 4K movies either! Haha MS blows it again, gonna wait for the more powerful PS Scorpio with real 4K and 4K movies!". 

Tell me I'm wrong, but deep down I think we all know that's the truth. 

Ignore fanboys comment, bro. Xbox One S is super good deal, better than PS4 Slim, and Scorpio if the price is right - is a bet right into money..

Also, people realized Sony is not that the same company it was years ago .. 

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

Around the Network
DragonRouge said:

Not for every set of lenses. Andrew House said it can be patched in for de PS4p

"Although House told The Guardian that he didn't think it would be necessary, it would theoretically be possible to patch in support for 4K Blu-ray down the line."

That's crazy, didn't think it was possible.  Very odd of Sony not to recognize, that 4k aficionados are savvy enough to know  source content from a disc will always crush streaming, and will place value in that feature.  Not to mention, internet isn't always reliable.  

GribbleGrunger said:
It's one of the oddest things to see people talking about the Pro and Slim as if it's destined to fail (Colin Moriarty included) while simultaneously watching PS4 sales ramping up after the announcements. There is now a clear disconnect between the narrative and reality. It's actually fun to watch.

It's definitively a sign that Sony is doing a lot of things right if people have to resort to things like  this to put them down.

KingofTrolls said:
Soundwave said:

If PS4 Pro was the exact same product but it had a XBox logo on it, my guess is the reaction on this board would largely be "LOL Microsoft! More upscaled XBox games! Not real 4K! Can't even play 4K movies either! Haha MS blows it again, gonna wait for the more powerful PS Scorpio with real 4K and 4K movies!". 

Tell me I'm wrong, but deep down I think we all know that's the truth. 

Ignore fanboys comment, bro. Xbox One S is super good deal, better than PS4 Slim, and Scorpio if the price is right - is a bet right into money..

Also, people realized Sony is not that the same company it was years ago .. 

That's true.

Everybody hated PS3's launch price so they made PS4 and PS4 Pro as cheap as possible while containing the market's best conditions for GAMES

DragonRouge said:

It's definitively a sign that Sony is doing a lot of things right if people have to resort to things like  this to put them down.

It's just so damned weird to watch. There I am updating Amazon every 3 to 4 hours and watching the XB1s slipping down the charts while the PS4 is shooting up the charts (with PS4Pro sitting pretty at #01) and then reading comments and posts about how Sony messed up in one way or another. We are getting to a point of denial again and things are going to get messy once reality catches some of these people up.

People who now buy the slim don't even know forums exist and people who are buying the PS4pro are upgrading from their old PS4s. It's so simple and yet the media are scratching their heads and wondering what Sony are doing. It just amazes me.

The PS5 Exists. 

Turkish said:

They practically force people with 4K tvs to buy an Xbone S or Scorpio now, I certainly would if I got meself one of them shiny Oled tvs with HDR. Not to mention Scorpio is 6Tflopz so games will look better on it(probably native 4K), that's a given with 1.8tflopz of difference and after yesterday's talk of temporal solutions etc.

PS4P should've been 499 with better specs and the new Bluray drive included. The console is meant for the hardcore anyway, why not go all in?

Seriously tho, no support of the newest medium and one they have such vested interest in, is so un-Sony like. Sony was always on the forefront of new technology and I've never seen them cheap out like this.

blame it on the PS3.  Sony leared from the PS3 that being bleeding edge when it comes to console gamers make you lose a lot of money.  Sony has learned that price makes a big difference in the console space.  I cannot fault Sony for their decision because when the air clears it will still make them lots of money and the pro will sell very well.  It does give MS the hardware crown but we will see how that works out next year.