By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

GribbleGrunger said:
DragonRouge said:

It's definitively a sign that Sony is doing a lot of things right if people have to resort to things like  this to put them down.

It's just so damned weird to watch. There I am updating Amazon every 3 to 4 hours and watching the XB1s slipping down the charts while the PS4 is shooting up the charts (with PS4Pro sitting pretty at #01) and then reading comments and posts about how Sony messed up in one way or another. We are getting to a point of denial again and things are going to get messy once reality catches some of these people up.

People who now buy the slim don't even know forums exist and people who are buying the PS4pro are upgrading from their old PS4s. It's so simple and yet the media are scratching their heads and wondering what Sony are doing. It just amazes me.

New hardware will definitely see a bump which is not an indication that Sony made the right move.  The price point is good but when the Scropio comes out, and a couple years after that probably will determine the effect.  Looking at the short term is not going to be representive of how good or bad this decision is.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Turkish said:

They practically force people with 4K tvs to buy an Xbone S or Scorpio now, I certainly would if I got meself one of them shiny Oled tvs with HDR. Not to mention Scorpio is 6Tflopz so games will look better on it(probably native 4K), that's a given with 1.8tflopz of difference and after yesterday's talk of temporal solutions etc.

PS4P should've been 499 with better specs and the new Bluray drive included. The console is meant for the hardcore anyway, why not go all in?

Seriously tho, no support of the newest medium and one they have such vested interest in, is so un-Sony like. Sony was always on the forefront of new technology and I've never seen them cheap out like this.

blame it on the PS3.  Sony leared from the PS3 that being bleeding edge when it comes to console gamers make you lose a lot of money.  Sony has learned that price makes a big difference in the console space.  I cannot fault Sony for their decision because when the air clears it will still make them lots of money and the pro will sell very well.  It does give MS the hardware crown but we will see how that works out next year.

UHD bluray only costs $15 more in the Xbone S and would be even cheaper for Sony to implement.

No matter how you slice it, skipping UHD bluray support is unlike Sony and does not do the company brand justice, they're tarnishing the premium feel of their products by cheaping out, their new ZX phone also isn't the true successor to the Z5.

I fear Sony is becoming another Samsung like.

No need for so much defense. Sony set themselves up. Their marketing of the PlayStation have been about being an entertainment center since the PS2. How did the PS3 ads go? It only does everything? They were the DVD company, the Blu-ray company. They created an Image of themselves as the front-runners of media technology, and yesterday they fell a bit short of it. It's all on them.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

GribbleGrunger said:
It's one of the oddest things to see people talking about the Pro and Slim as if it's destined to fail (Colin Moriarty included) while simultaneously watching PS4 sales ramping up after the announcements. There is now a clear disconnect between the narrative and reality. It's actually fun to watch.

I don't have an opinion on wether pro is gonna be a hit or a fail, however what you say makes no difference, of course the console sales are gonna be ramping up in the same day the console has been revealed, it would be a horrible sign if not, there is no disconection on that narrative yet.

Machiavellian said:

New hardware will definitely see a bump which is not an indication that Sony made the right move.  The price point is good but when the Scropio comes out, and a couple years after that probably will determine the effect.  Looking at the short term is not going to be representive of how good or bad this decision is.

LOL. 'in a years time ... just you wait and see.' Jesus H Christ. It's not me thinking short term (I'm forever reminding people not to do that) it's you betting on a future that we know nothing about.

Anyway, I can see other conversation backing up and ready to roll along these lines. I'll just pop back to reality and leave you all to it.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
FunFan said:
No need for so much defense. Sony set themselves up. Their marketing of the PlayStation have been about being an entertainment center since the PS2. How did the PS3 ads go? It only does everything? They were the DVD company, the Blu-ray company. They created an Image of themselves as the front-runners of media technology, and yesterday they fell a bit short of it. It's all on them.

Exactly man. When even the cheaper Xbone S has a feature the PS4Pro does not, something is wrong, very wrong. Even if u don't care about bluray, it should feel wrong to you because MS was able to do something on their cheaper console that Sony wasn't, and they don't even have 4k tvs to sell you.

Soundwave said:
TheFallen said:
4K blu-Ray player is a niche within a niche .

IF

=> you have 4K TV => You have 4K blu Ray player => Have a 4K blu Ray movie => This Niche applies to you.

4K TVs aren't even mainstream yet.

Apparently somebody forget to tell Sony that because they're marketing a console towards 4KTV users. Half their press event yesterday was an infomercial for selling 4KTVs. 

If you don't have a 4KTV or don't plan on buying one then all this PS4 Pro discussion should be moot to you anyway.

Why? The console is supposed to perform better all around. It's not just for people with 4k TVs only. It's not even displaying in native 4k for the most part.

GribbleGrunger said:
Machiavellian said:

LOL. 'in a years time ... just you wait and see.' Jesus H Christ. It's not me thinking short term (I'm forever reminding people not to do that) it's you betting on a future that we know nothing about.

Anyway, I can see other conversation backing up and ready to roll along these lines. I'll just pop back to reality and leave you all to it.

Not sure why you think decisions like this make a difference in the short term when these consoles will be in the market for at least another 5 years if not longer.   Also I did not give any conclusion about any future, I stated we will not see the full effect of Sony decision until a couple years.  In other words when MS release their product, how does the pro look compared to it.  Will the UHD Blu ray drive sales or not.  We also may see this effect within the year with the One S if its sales continue to be strong.  If anything, Sony gave MS the ability to make their hardware seem more premium which probably isn't a trend Sony wants to continue.

Turkish said:

UHD bluray only costs $15 more in the Xbone S and would be even cheaper for Sony to implement.

No matter how you slice it, skipping UHD bluray support is unlike Sony and does not do the company brand justice, they're tarnishing the premium feel of their products by cheaping out, their new ZX phone also isn't the true successor to the Z5.

I fear Sony is becoming another Samsung like.

Sony of today definitely not the Kaz Sony of yester year.  Thats probably a good thing for Sony because they need to stay in the black and not over produce their products like the PS3.  Does this mean that Sony lose their premium feel, yes it does but it also means they probably stay in the black come earnings time which helps them stay as a healty company.

arcaneguyver said:
I buy video game consoles to play video games.

+1

On topic, I think the 4K Bluray player is quite an expensive piece of functionality, so that's why they did not include it (yet). I guess there could be another PS4 version down the line (in 2 years?) which will read 4K Bluray.