By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

On paper it sounds bad, but unlike blurays, it's not a new standard, just a luxury option for people with money to burn.

4k adoption is slow despite TV'S selling fast. I doubt people will care to be honest.

Around the Network
Mike_L said:

For people collecting 4K Blu-ray movies the XB1S is an attractive product due to its price (even though those people probably already have a better 4K Blu-ray player).

For all of those people that just stream their HD and 4K content, I think PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim offer a tremendous value with their capable hardware, their HDR support and especially their interesting current and upcoming game library.

PS4 Pro: 4.2 teraflops - $399

PS4 Slim: 1.8 teraflops - $299

XB1S: 1.3 teraflops - $299

Since they own and license the technology, Sony probably know a thing or two about Blu-ray's market share in the consumption of 4K content.

Xbone S has 1.4TFLOP/s actually.

Besides, Sony could probably patch thatBlu Ray drive via firmware, UHD-BD drives are the samehardware.

Sony might just want to push 4K streaming.

Mike_L said:

For people collecting 4K Blu-ray movies the XB1S is an attractive product due to its price (even though those people probably already have a better 4K Blu-ray player).

For all of those people that just stream their HD and 4K content, I think PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim offer a tremendous value with their capable hardware, their HDR support and especially their interesting current and upcoming game library.

PS4 Pro: 4.2 teraflops - $399

PS4 Slim: 1.8 teraflops - $299

XB1S: 1.3 teraflops - $299

Since they own and license the technology, Sony probably know a thing or two about Blu-ray's market share in the consumption of 4K content.

Fair enough for the price but Xbox one slim got more feature than ps4 slim and HDR is allot Better on Xbox one s than slim Sony even did cut down optical port from slim as my point of view slim should have been a lot less than Xbox one slim

...no? I mean this is about as big a deal as the no BC when the PS4/X1 was announced. In reality most people will not care if it doesnt support 4K Blu Ray. Most won't even notice. And by the time it would matter, 4K Blu Ray will be super cheap. And thats assuming everything isnt digital by then which Sony is banking on. Wouldnt be surprised either. 4K ain't exactly setting the world on fire like DVDs did. Hell, not even Blu Ray did XD I know few people who actually own more than 5 Blu Rays.

No. I think hiding online play behind their paywall was worse. No 4k bluray is actually not that convenient for Sony itself given that they need to sell those 4k tvs. They are still in the TV manufacturing business, right?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

They increased the ps+ price without adding any more value
They increase monehatt exclusive content by one year beside mentioned otherwise
They delay basically every single first party game
They release many bad and broken first party games or third party exclusives
They still suck like hell when it comes to customer service when compared to industry standard such as gog or orign

They do so much bs lately...

UHD Blu-ray is currently a joke.
The majority of modern movies are either photographed digitally at 2k resolution or have a 2k Digital Intermediate. Thus the movies you’ll watch in “4k” aren’t 4k at all.

1) Yes it does seem bad on paper that PS4 Pro doesn't have a 4K player and I do understand if you have a 4K tv of course you'd want your PS4 Pro to play 4K movies. But I guess Sony wanted to keep the price down and in order to keep it at $399 while adding the upgraded spec they had to remove the option of 4K player.

2) At least it still plays some form of media disc. Nintendo's systems still can't even play DVDs and many are fine with that.

3) Stand alone 4K players are still very pricey, im sure when it drops significantly, Sony will release a PS4 Pro version with a 4K player built-in. (PS4 Pro Plus? lol)

FunFan said:
No. I think hiding online play behind their paywall was worse. No 4k bluray is actually not that convenient for Sony itself given that they need to sell those 4k tvs. They are still in the TV manufacturing business, right?

Yup

Sony is the World's third largest TV manufacturer.

I think Ps4P could be $400 with a 4k Bluray player. If a consumer can buy a 4k Bluray (BDXL) Rewriter for $50 for their PC from amazon, surely Sony can make only a reader for much, much less. Specially since they don't have to pay the licensing fees.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850