By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is no 4K Bluray on PS4 Pro the biggest BS Sony pulled yet?

Such a shame so many are against Blu-Rays. Streaming quality is vastly inferior to Blu-Ray due to compression.

Around the Network

Sony are going to cry all the way to the bank.

They played a blinder. MS made it clear scorpio would be a very powerful expensive device. So Sony go and make a very cheap 4k device that provides a sufficient boost. Even better they leave out the 4k player. Let MS push this expensive medium that will never be mainstream with streaming taking over.

As a gamer I'm delighted with this and Sony will read the rewards. A $400 neo will sell more than a $500/$600/$700 ps4 pro ever would. No matter what they included. The average consumer doesn't want to spend that kind of money.

Chevinator123 said:
Such a shame so many are against Blu-Rays. Streaming quality is vastly inferior to Blu-Ray due to compression.

Well, I'm not against it and I see why XB1S is an attractive product for people who own 4K Blu-ray movies.

Personally, I don't own a single 4K Blu-ray and frankly I don't think the mass market does either.

Chevinator123 said:

Indeed, but it's their loss they only watch half a movie. "streaming is good enough", no one won anything with "good enough". Bluray FTW!

I mean its a shortcut I'd prefer them not to take but I haven't bought a Blu-ray since 2010

Around the Network
Mike_L said:

Yup

Sony is the World's third largest TV manufacturer.

Well yes, It was more of an exagerated joke. That said, I haven't seen that many Sony TVs at my local Walmart or BestBuy. There are a few, but most TVs are Samsung, LG and lots of Vizio. So it seemed to me that is convenient for Sony to sell those 4k tvs, but I guess netflix 4k might be enough. Its just weird to see Sony not pushing 4k bluray with the Pro.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
Mike_L said:

Yup

Sony is the World's third largest TV manufacturer.

Well yes, It was more of an exagerated joke. That said, I haven't seen that many Sony TVs at my local Walmart or BestBuy. There are a few, but most TVs are Samsung, LG and lots of Vizio. So it seemed to me that is convenient for Sony to sell those 4k tvs, but I guess netflix 4k might be enough. Its just weird to see Sony not pushing 4k bluray with the Pro.

I know

You mean like when they charged you 600$ for a gaming console to have a BlueRay player?

If I want to watch a movie I'll stream it.

I'm personally disappointed as I would have paid a little extra for UHD BR support.

However, overall this may be a good business decision for Sony, as UHD TV adoption is still a tiny % of households.

My 8th gen collection