By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

StarOcean said:
Get 4K OLED if anything. Dont settle for anything less, OLED is the way to go

Yeah, this. Once you go OLED you don't back.

True black is where its at.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Captain_Yuri said:
  • Color bit depth: 10-bit signal
  • Color Palette: Wide Color Gamut
  • Display Reproduction: More than 93% of the DCI P3 color spectrum

And there's a thing about it needed to be able to display 1BN colors or something like that? 

Yeaa. 10 bit displays should be able to do that.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Depending on which games get supported for PS4Pro then I may be buying a 4K HDR TV this holiday season.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

No interest in buying a new Tv. If the Pro and Scorpio solely focus on 4K and this HDR thing. They won't do much for me. Although i do think they might get 30 fps locked on Prorpio as appose to 20-24 fps on pleb version. Thinking that devs will prioritize solid framerate instead of more graphical flare on consoles is fool's errand. Some of them might surprise though.

There is also talks of 8k. What then, too much planned obsolescence in tech these days.

Kerotan said:
torok said:
No it's not. Wait for them to go mainstream, the prices will go down heavily. Also, no HDR, no buy.

The great news is were probably only 12 months away from them gone proper mainstream.  By the time the ps5 comes out in 4 years they'll be super mainstream and very affordable!  Good times ahead :)

Exactly. So, no reason to simply not wait for it.

Around the Network

Old television has been outdated for a while now and with 4K coming into reasonable price range I'd expect to upgrade in next 12 months.

How much are the cheapest HDR TVs and OLED TVs at 55 inches?

OLED 55" 1080p for $1100 consistently on sale. 4K OLED you are looking at $2,000+
HDR 55" TV's can be had for like $800+ with a higher end one being around $1100.

I have been doing tons of research and will be buying a TV soon. I am banking on Sony doing a PS4 + 4K HDR TV deal hopefully.

For best, affordable (higher end, not highest end. talking $1000 - $2000) HDR 4K LED: Samsung KS8000/8500 series (Ultra HD Premium certified, HDR10 only).

Below that I would put the Vizio P series (HDR10 and Dolby Vision)

Then the LG UH8500 series (the only affordable 3D HDR TV, includes Dolby Vision) followed closely by the Sony X850D series (which most likely use same panel as the LG).

Sony's last year models, the X900C and the X850C also have firmware updates that support HDR. The X900C has known light bleed issues (can be a deal breaker), and the X850C HDR is probably not that great as the set does not get that bright and has no dimming. These both have 3D however.

There are lower mid-level 4K HDR sets from all the makers, but I was trying to focus on the upper end. HDR without good contrast or color accuracy is just not going to be that great, so I would try to get one of the higher rated sets. rtings.com is the place to go to see all the info.

torok said:
Kerotan said:

The great news is were probably only 12 months away from them gone proper mainstream.  By the time the ps5 comes out in 4 years they'll be super mainstream and very affordable!  Good times ahead :)

Exactly. So, no reason to simply not wait for it.

Well if in a year i get a top class 4k TV that meets all the HDR requirements it will be worth it because.... 

When the PS5 comes out ~4 years later I'll not need a new TV.  It will suffice.  

Two major developments I'd like to see though.  The input lag at least halved.  

OLED screens implemented which has it's obvious power consumption benefits but it will also drive the price of these TV'S down. 

Captain_Yuri said:
craighopkins said:

here is a good website if u want to research http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

Yeaa I used that site. I am leaning towards this one: http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

It looks like it is really good at pretty much everything but of course, it is also expensive.

I just realised I'd be looking at Canadian prices.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D98AQ30/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2AS1C3KAWCEVN&coliid=I3KUQ1LVY83G5X&psc=1

The 49" Samsung is only $1100 and the 55" only like $1300. 

Pffftttt a 4k TV of this standard is 100% going to be within my price range next year.  The only thing I wait for is to see if the new models have much better latency input and use oled screens.  

God my first 4k TV is so close I can almost taste it! 

Btw,  if I buy a 4k TV like that one or better next year,  will it be sufficient for the ps5 in like 4 years or are they going to come up with loads of new shit that I'll be missing out on?