By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

tiffac said:
Kerotan said:

Haha these TV'S cost like $4k (pun intended)  a couple of years back.  

Ugh... I guess I will cry for the meantime until the prices go down :(

Prices go down? Just what are you expecting or willing to spend on a TV?

Interesting fact; you can get a 55" 4k tv today for significantly less thsn you could get a 1080p 46" TV 3, 4, 5 or even 6 years ago.

You can get a 55" 4k tv today for under $499...... And a 50" 4k TV for under $450. And with smart timing, around the fall season you will probably be able to get them for as much as 30% less.

TVs are super cheap these days. I am really curious to know what you consider as affordable, how much did you get your current TV for?

Around the Network
dharh said:

Hell no. I wouldn't buy a 4K TV for at least 2 years, maybe even 3. The prices are too high, the penetration is too low, and the content is just not there yet.

Kerotan said: 

1: Ps4 Pro (trade in ps4)

1: PS4P does not support full 4k.

Everything in your post is just a lie. smh....

Prices are lower than TV prices has ever been in TV selling history. 

penetration is at uts oeak right now as its become hard to find any tv bigger than 50" that's not 4k. What that means is that 1080p is being phased out and that probably over 80% of TVs bought this year will be 4k TVs. 

The content? have you been living under a rock this past year? YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime all have 4k content available. Hell even TV broadcasts support 4k content now..... And now game consoles? How much more content do you need?

PS4p supports full 4k though it's not adviced for devs to use that native rez for the games. And you do not need to internally render your game at native 4k to support a 4k output. 

Kerotan said:

I'd like to talk about 4k TV'S.  

Their prices have become very affordable.  To the point where a pretty decent 55" costs only $800. A high end model less than $1500. I'm thinking within the next 12 months buying a 4k TV will be well worth it. 

If you're buying the ps4 pro you will get to enjoy some 4k gaming aswell as 4k streaming.  Now people might think,  I'll just wait until next gen to get the 4k TV but if you think about it,  buy the TV now and when the PS5 releases supporting even better 4k gaming you'll already have the TV for it.  

So instead of waiting for the ps5 you might aswell get the TV now or next year.  As soon as I can get a high end UHD 55" HDR 4K TV for under $1000 I'll be right on it.  

A lot of hardware to get in the next 12 months so it'll probably go like this.  

1: Ps4 Pro (trade in ps4)

2: psvr (probably buy early 2017)

3: 4k TV in 2017 (trade in my current TV).  

Then I'll be all set until about 2020 when I'll add the PS5 to my set up.  Comsole gaming has never been simpler! 

It's ED and HD all over again!!!!  At least the sales rep won't tell me "The HD tv's are only $5,000-$10,000 dollars sir".  Needless to say I looked at him stupified and bought a discontinued (still expensive) ED display unit.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Intrinsic said:

You can get a 55" 4k tv today for under $499...... And a 50" 4k TV for under $450. And with smart timing, around the fall season you will probably be able to get them for as much as 30% less.

TVs are super cheap these days. I am really curious to know what you consider as affordable, how much did you get your current TV for?

But if you want a 4K-TV with HDR and a good response time, the prices are way over $500: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

And I wouldn't recommend a 4K-TV without HDR for people interested in the PS4 Pro or XBO S and neither a slow panel for console gaming in general. 

January 2018.

Project Scorpio will be bought at launch, but the TV can wait another 2 months.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Conina said:
Intrinsic said:

But if you want a 4K-TV with HDR and a good response time, the prices are way over $500: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

And I wouldn't recommend a 4K-TV without HDR for people interested in the PS4 Pro or XBO S and neither a slow panel for console gaming in general. 

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600 and just 4k for under $500. All that aside, those prices (even for the TVs you may have gravitated towards) will usually crash around the holiday season in the fall.... and next year things will be even lower when the Chinese guys churn out their 4k HDR TVs. 

Point still stands, TVs are cheaper these days then they have even been. Back in 2008 I bought a 32" TV for over $900!!!!!

I don't believe in buy electronic trends unless they become the standard. Partially because I am cheap also a lot of these 'innovations' are tossed to the wayside after a few years or to me don't mean jack. I was good with a 720 42in tv up until this year when others in the house hold forced the adoption of a larger screen and thus 1080p... which I still don't game on because its not in my bedroom so... meh to technology.

Intrinsic said:

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600...

Do you have some URLs for good 4K-Vizio models with full HDR support for $600 or less? Perhaps some reviews for these models, too?

I would wait more. I'm myself waiting for OLED 4k prices to come down. Resolution alone doesn't mean nothing. If a TV doesn't have a good quality panel (in case of LED), don't have a good color range, good contrast ratio and proper processing of 4k content the higher resolution will be only to show more flaws. And than come source problems, wich still very limited to this day. There's no TV channels broadcasting in 4K, in USA Direct TV have an Frankenstein channel for 4k content, 4k BD still in it's early days and even streaming of 4k seems a ridiculous idea because of bitrates. Really, 4K doesn't make any sense right now unless you want to buy a 100 inches TV.

invetedlotus123 said:
I would wait more. I'm myself waiting for OLED 4k prices to come down
. Resolution alone doesn't mean nothing. If a TV doesn't have a good quality panel (in case of LED), don't have a good color range, good contrast ratio and proper processing of 4k content the higher resolution will be only to show more flaws. And than come source problems, wich still very limited to this day. There's no TV channels broadcasting in 4K, in USA Direct TV have an Frankenstein channel for 4k content, 4k BD still in it's early days and even streaming of 4k seems a ridiculous idea because of bitrates. Really, 4K doesn't make any sense right now unless you want to buy a 100 inches TV.

Well you'll be waiting till the PS6 is released